• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather to make record $41,500,000 USD for Canelo fight this Saturday night

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Yes and I have always wondered why that is. Wouldnt the likes of Nike, Reebok, etc etc be ready to pay millions to get an athlete like Mayweather to endorse their products?

I'm a little shocked, I just assume it's the norm for top athletes to have endorsements deals nowadays.

He seems super smart about his business and just the fact he can make that much money on his own is damn impressive.

Endorsements mean contractual requirements. Advertisements he must do (commercials, print ads), signings, and event appearances and such. Not having them means he does what he wants when he wants with no restrictions.

It also means he doesn't grow dependent on them so that if things happen like his multiple criminal charges over the years, he's not financially hurt from dropped sponsors.

Azih

Doesnt Mayweather have to pay for promotions and everything associated? I thought he funds everything.

How much is profits and how much is covering the expenses? I mean the fight costs millions to promote and set up, so is the 40+ million after all expenses? Even if it isnt, that's a gang of money. And he dont use any banks!

That 40 million is money he's paying himself out of the proceeds. His company gets all the rest of the net profit on top of that.

VoxPop

That's just ridiculous. Professional athletics are the most overpaid people in the world

How is it ridiculous when he's bringing in more money than he is getting paid? You think you can get 1 million + people to pay $65 to watch you fight?

overcast

That's just ridiculous. Professional athletics are the most overpaid people in the world
They bring in the money, so they should be expected to make as much as they do. Especially in this case. Floyd generates so much money that this seemingly absurd amount of money (it is insane) makes perfect sense, honestly.
A few times? More like a million times over his career
Not money. That defense is too good.

overcast

You don't think FMJ has been hit in the head over a million times?
No, I was joking. He's fought for so long that his face has taken plenty of damage. Though I wouldn't be surprised if its less than others who have fought as long as him, mostly because he is pretty good at avoiding serious damage.

Skeyser

To be fair, I'm sure a lot of boxers train just as hard and get pounded much harder than Floyd and they don't earn 1/50th of what he does.

MVP

Banned

Not quite...like actors or musicians, they get paid based on what they bring in. I'm glad they get their fair share, these aren't roman gladiators here, we live in modern civilization. To the people that complain about how much athletes get paid, who do we propose gets all the millions that pour in? The already mega-rich owners? Do we just burn the money instead of paying the people actually generating the revenue?

VoxPop

To be fair, I'm sure a lot of boxers train just as hard and get pounded much harder than Floyd and they don't earn 1/50th of what he does.

Makes sense considering they bring in 1/50th of what Mayweather brings in with his charisma and skill.

liger05

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/boxin...oke-potential-100-million-030325836--box.html

LAS VEGAS -- Leonard Ellerbe, the CEO of Mayweather Promotions, has heard all of the stories about the voluminous number of boxers who blew their earnings from the ring and wound up broke, often on the street.

But no matter how badly things go in the future for Floyd Mayweather Jr., Ellerbe said there is no conceivable way that Mayweather would ever wind up in that position. Ellerbe and Al Haymon, Mayweather's de facto manager, work together to handle Mayweather's business portfolio.

Mayweather showed reporter Tim Keown of ESPN the Magazine a banking slip that indicated a balance of $123 million in one account. Ellerbe told Yahoo! Sports Thursday that he thinks Mayweather and golfer Tiger Woods may be the only athletes to have more than $100 million in their bank accounts when they retire.

"Floyd's going to retire with nine figures in the bank," Ellerbe said. "I think Tiger Woods has a very good chance of doing that, as well. I can't think of anyone else who has done that or who looks right now like they might do it."

IrishNinja

hahahaha @ "really, boxing?" "overpaid" & "floyd will be broke after (x) years shit

No, I was joking. He's fought for so long that his face has taken plenty of damage. Though I wouldn't be surprised if its less than others who have fought as long as him, mostly because he is pretty good at avoiding serious damage.

yup. top 10 defensive fighter of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom