• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FM Towns Marty

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've been trying to find some information on the FM Towns Marty... I've read some articles at assembler about it, a while ago... But wanted to know if anybody had any hands-on experience playing with the system? If so, what are your favorite games, do you think the system is worth it, any stories you'd like to share about it?

GIR

Banned
The FM Towns Marty from Fujitsu had a 386 16mhz 32bit CPU, the console version released in 1993 it had a CD drive, floppy drive and a smartcard slot, 352x232 res and 32,768 color palette, it sure was a good little console and quite advanced at the time it was released, as was the computer version released a few years earlier, they were only ever sold in Japan. I've never actually played one but apparently "Tatsujin 2" was a kick ass game, someone should make an emulator.

When I first starting reading Gamefan, I recall Halverson going nuts for this system. It was hyped up to be a true next generation system at the time (this was before the Saturn and PSone, and even the 3DO and Jaguar... Sega CD was just hitting the scene). And it certainly seemed like the real deal, though I must have been 13 at the time as well.

Anyway, there just a small handful of games that were ever previewed and reviewed, and they all got sparking reviews, with such bold statements like "this is the future of gaming!" But then coverage of the console, even any mentions, totally disappeared. Though I recall the system costing an arm and a leg when Gamefan was selling it.

The games themselves looked very impressive at the time. And the hard sell the reviewers made the titles quite enticing. One in particular... Scavenger something.... looked amazing, with a space ship flying through environments the likes I had never seen before. Though it wasn't until later on till I discovered that Scavenger's mind-blowing graphics terrain was simply FMV and that you were just controlling a sprite overlaid on top. I believe this was the case for most of their "games". Gamefan failed to mention (or perhaps notice) this one big detail.

Otherwise it was mostly educational software. The system didn't last long if I'm not mistaken.

GIR

Banned
FortNinety said:
The games themselves looked very impressive at the time. And the hard sell the reviewers made the titles quite enticing. One in particular... Scavenger something.... looked amazing, with a space ship flying through environments the likes I had never seen before. Though it wasn't until later on till I discovered that Scavenger's mind-blowing graphics terrain was simply FMV and that you were just controlling a sprite overlaid on top. I believe this was the case for most of their "games". Gamefan failed to mention (or perhaps notice) this one big detail.
That wouldn't be "Microcosm" would it?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^^
That's the one... I think.

Then again, that game was on the SegaCD, Amiga and a few others.

aku:jiki

GIR said:
I've never actually played one but apparently "Tatsujin 2" was a kick ass game, someone should make an emulator.
Truxton II (as most people would know it) is already in MAME. But that's cool, I thought T2 was never ported anywhere.

Doesn't this console have like an updated Zak McKraken that no other system ever got? That's kinda odd.

Top Bottom