• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Anthem's Scary Console Crash Shutdown Happened To Me On Xbox!

Dontero

Banned
Kernel panic is not a hardware problem. The game is not breaking PS4 or XBOX too. People can recover the system using safe mode. So when you have a red or blue kernel panic on Windows because game or software, its your PC a fault system?

OS is.
If Game would fry GPU then GPU manufacturer is because under no circumstance GPU bios should ever allow for GPU to exeed safe temperature.

And no system recovery is not "normal" or "system panic". It clearly shows that Anthem for whatever reason took hold of something it shouldn't have power to operate on.

vkbest

OS is.
If Game would fry GPU then GPU manufacturer is because under no circumstance GPU bios should ever allow for GPU to exeed safe temperature..

The game is not shutting down PS4 or XBOX because high temperatures. Even the most robust OS have hundreds of unknown bugs. When you have a game what is crashing on PC, XBOX and PS4, the problem is the game coding, not hardware or SO.

Dontero

Banned
The game is not shutting down PS4 or XBOX because high temperatures. Even the most robust OS have hundreds of unknown bugs. When you have a game what is crashing on PC, XBOX and PS4, the problem is the game coding, not hardware or SO.

I mean you make yourself this point that OS have bugs. If it is OS bug then it is not their fault mate.

Especially if end product is brick.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do we really know if EA forced them to do anything? Everything I read said this was Biowares dream game and 100 % them. Also, how do you know frostbyte isn't good for rpgs?

The truth is right in front of you.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Do we really know if EA forced them to do anything? Everything I read said this was Biowares dream game and 100 % them. Also, how do you know frostbyte isn't good for rpgs?
Right, because EA is a very hands off publisher.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Looks like the PS4 bricking consoles thing can be resolved by booting the console in safe mode by holding the power button until it beeps twice. Then you want to rebuild the database. Don't reinitialize because if you do you'll wipe your hard drive. Still not recommended to play the game until it's fully resolved, but it's a fix for those who have already experienced this issue.

I saw it in a video from YongYea.

Ok, let's all go home guys, nothing to see here. Crisis averted.

Last edited:

Ivellios

Looks like the PS4 bricking consoles thing can be resolved by booting the console in safe mode by holding the power button until it beeps twice. Then you want to rebuild the database. Don't reinitialize because if you do you'll wipe your hard drive. Still not recommended to play the game until it's fully resolved, but it's a fix for those who have already experienced this issue.

I saw it in a video from YongYea.

Ok, let's all go home guys, nothing to see here. Crisis averted.

A game being so broken that you need to rebuild the console database (which a lot of people dont know how) because of it is far from crisis averted.

I expected Anthem to be boring, but not something that can hard crash both consoles.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
A game being so broken that you need to rebuild the console database (which a lot of people dont know how) because of it is far from crisis averted.

I expected Anthem to be boring, but not something that can hard crash both consoles.

Yep, but it's not the console's fault...at least not solely. We can both agree on that, right?

Ivellios

Yep, but it's not the console's fault...at least not solely. We can both agree on that, right?

Surely, i put all the blame on the game itself, not the consoles.

If it were the console fault, this problem would not be happening on Anthem only

Hendrick's

Bioware themselves made it seem like they had carte blanche to do their game. Maybe they should take some responsibility for this mess and not just EA?
I'm not saying they are blameless. I don't think they are a very good developer honestly, but I am also fairly sure Bioware didn't decide on their own to make this game.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
First we had tons of arm chair game developers, now we have tons of arm chair hardware developers. When will the madness ever end? The game is affecting two systems, now that cant be a mere coincidence, that's just using common sense.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I'm not saying they are blameless. I don't think they are a very good developer honestly, but I am also fairly sure Bioware didn't decide on their own to make this game.

EA DIDN'T PUSH BIOWARE INTO CREATING ANTHEM, SAYS GAME'S NARRATIVE LEAD

However, James Ohlen, former BioWare senior creative director, squashed rumors claiming publisher EA made the creators of Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect series develop Anthem as a service-based, multiplayer adventure shooter.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...to-creating-anthem-says-games-narrative-lead#
In an interview with Game Informer, Ohlen said "I think one of the things about BioWare has been really good at it, which has allowed it to survive for more than two decades, is taking risks and trying new and different things."
He calls Anthem "a chance to do something a little different."
Anthem's direction "was driven by BioWare itself," Ohlen said. "BioWare's always had a lot of control over the kind of games it makes."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...nto-creating-anthem-says-games-narrative-lead

Hendrick's

EA DIDN'T PUSH BIOWARE INTO CREATING ANTHEM, SAYS GAME'S NARRATIVE LEAD

However, James Ohlen, former BioWare senior creative director, squashed rumors claiming publisher EA made the creators of Knights of the Old Republic and the Mass Effect series develop Anthem as a service-based, multiplayer adventure shooter.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...to-creating-anthem-says-games-narrative-lead#
In an interview with Game Informer, Ohlen said "I think one of the things about BioWare has been really good at it, which has allowed it to survive for more than two decades, is taking risks and trying new and different things."
He calls Anthem "a chance to do something a little different."
Anthem's direction "was driven by BioWare itself," Ohlen said. "BioWare's always had a lot of control over the kind of games it makes."

https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/0...nto-creating-anthem-says-games-narrative-lead
Call me skeptical.

nowhat

Call me skeptical.
I'm with you. BioWare wanting to create a new IP, perhaps revolving around a cool mechanic of flying around in a mech suit - yeah, I can totally believe that.

For it to be an always online PvE loot shooter with minimal narrative and obvious chances for monetization - I just can't believe that. Sure, many (all?) of the original BioWare staff that made the studio great have left for greener pastures. Still, those who remain, surely they wouldn't be so cynical?

I choose to believe it was EA instead of BioWare. To quote Adam Savage, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Hendrick's

* Forbes Contributor

I'll bite--check my post history. I was saying yesterday in the PS4 Anthem Crashin' thread that it was killing my XBO:X to where I had to hard boot it. The author of the article just explained what I was running into better. I don't believe this is a bulls*** article, as I've experienced similar events.

Between the crashes taking my XBO:X down hard and the fans kicking on loud when Anthem is loading to where I worry if my XBO:X is going to get clearance from the control tower for takeoff, I've honestly been concerned to where I'm not playing Anthem anymore with the recent news. And no, I haven't had the 'jet takeoff' issue with *any* other XBO:X game I've played, the unit is dusted, properly ventilated, and may actually be treated better than my children*.

*I'm kidding--kids always come first.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

How about a pattern of behavior then? While there is no direct evidence regarding Anthem, I could find plenty of similar examples regarding EA.

Here is one for example:. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.game-debate.com/amp/news/23931/newsAmpPage.html
That article says nothing about forcing developers to make games they don't want to make. And if you cant find evidence that EA forced Bioware to make Anthem, then why do you keep saying they forced Bioware to make Anthem?

Last edited:

Alebrije

EA / Bioware

Flip a coin.
tenor.gif

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'll bite--check my post history. I was saying yesterday in the PS4 Anthem Crashin' thread that it was killing my XBO:X to where I had to hard boot it. The author of the article just explained what I was running into better. I don't believe this is a bulls*** article, as I've experienced similar events.

Between the crashes taking my XBO:X down hard and the fans kicking on loud when Anthem is loading to where I worry if my XBO:X is going to get clearance from the control tower for takeoff, I've honestly been concerned to where I'm not playing Anthem anymore with the recent news. And no, I haven't had the 'jet takeoff' issue with *any* other XBO:X game I've played, the unit is dusted, properly ventilated, and may actually be treated better than my children*.

*I'm kidding--kids always come first.

No, I do believe that Anthem does that. RDR2 killed my Xbox One X dead.

What I meant was to point out that once again a Forbes Contributor article (i.e. essentially a blog entry) gets false prominence being billed as a “Forbes article”.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

That article says nothing about forcing developers to make games they don't want to make. And if you cant find evidence that EA forced Bioware to make Anthem, then why do you keep saying they forced Bioware to make Anthem?
I get it, you are naive. I explained how a pattern of past behavior and like examples in the past led to my overwhelmingly confident conclusion about Anthem. Believe what you like, but don't pretend there is no basis for my and many others perspectives on what went wrong with Anthem.

Tygeezy

I get it, you are naive. I explained how a pattern of past behavior and like examples in the past led to my overwhelmingly confident conclusion about Anthem. Believe what you like, but don't pretend there is no basis for my and many others perspectives on what went wrong with Anthem.
You explained nothing that relates to your original statement of EA forcing Bioware to make this game, and now you are using personal attacks. Just because EA has done things people dislike doesn't mean they are guilty of every accusation ever. You are moving the goal posts and failing to look at it critically and essentially your argument is "Orange Company Bad!"

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
What do you think a BioWare rep is going to say? You honestly expect them to publically throw their parent company under the bus?

Give me a freaking break. This game has all the signs of “design by spreadsheet” and of being released way before it’s ready.

Yeah right. This guy saying “EA gave us so much freedom!” is like Kim Jong Un’s top general saying “Kim is such a brave, wise, and kind leader!”

Tygeezy

What do you think a BioWare rep is going to say? You honestly expect them to publically throw their parent company under the bus?

Give me a freaking break. This game has all the signs of “design by spreadsheet” and of being released way before it’s ready.

Yeah right. This guy saying “EA gave us so much freedom!” is like Kim Jong Un’s top general saying “Kim is such a brave, wise, and kind leader!”
They arent obligated to answer that question. My point is, we have no evidence that bioware was forced to make the game. The only thing I can find is that bioware absolutely wanted to make this game.

So unless something is unearthed maybe we should stop saying Bioware was forced to make this game? Maybe all the talented people left bioware and the reason they make bad games now is because of that?

Hendrick's

He is just delusional for whatever reason. Some people will defend things until their last breath while ignoring all logical conclusions. It's good to have passion I guess. Perhaps he is a defense lawyer honing his skills in gaming forums.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

He is just delusional for whatever reason. Some people will defend things until their last breath while ignoring all logical conclusions. It's good to have passion I guess. Perhaps he is a defense lawyer honing his skills in gaming forums.
I like how you are talking to that guy about me like i'm not here reading this conversation. Great, you found another guy that also doesn't like EA and believes every bad rumor about them. And again, you are levying personal attacks instead of coming up with any evidence to support your claim. It's easy to dismiss peoples arguments by calling them delusional and naive. It's also intellectually dishonest.

I'm with you. BioWare wanting to create a new IP, perhaps revolving around a cool mechanic of flying around in a mech suit - yeah, I can totally believe that.

For it to be an always online PvE loot shooter with minimal narrative and obvious chances for monetization - I just can't believe that. Sure, many (all?) of the original BioWare staff that made the studio great have left for greener pastures. Still, those who remain, surely they wouldn't be so cynical?

I choose to believe it was EA instead of BioWare. To quote Adam Savage, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Exactly - we have 20 years of EA history and corpses of all their studios and once iconic IPs as proof of their mismanagement

Hendrick's

I like how you are talking to that guy about me like i'm not here reading this conversation. Great, you found another guy that also doesn't like EA and believes every bad rumor about them. And again, you are levying personal attacks instead of coming up with any evidence to support your claim. It's easy to dismiss peoples arguments by calling them delusional and naive. It's also intellectually dishonest.
I presented my reasoning, this isn't court, I'm not obligated to burden of truth. What's the point of discussing anything with you when you have obviously taken an immovable stance to defend EA despite all the circumstantial evidence. I bet you also think OJ is innocent.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I presented my reasoning, this isn't court, I'm not obligated to burden of truth. What's the point of discussing anything with you when you have obviously taken an immovable stance to defend EA despite all the circumstantial evidence. I bet you also think OJ is innocent.
You have any more things you want to accuse me of or personal attacks to you want to send my way? We are way past this discussion being done in good faith.

Good day.

Hendrick's

You have any more things you want to accuse me of or personal attacks to you want to send my way? We are way past this discussion being done in good faith.

Good day.
Good day sir.

Last edited:
No, I do believe that Anthem does that. RDR2 killed my Xbox One X dead.

What I meant was to point out that once again a Forbes Contributor article (i.e. essentially a blog entry) gets false prominence being billed as a “Forbes article”.

Ah, I understand. Sorry about that--to me, it read as though you were attacking the accusation that Anthem is bricking XBO:X systems.

Last edited:
This is the fault of the CONSUMERS.

Everyone told you the game is a buggy shit mess, and you still reward the developers. SO whoever put the game on their hard drives. u suck.

Top Bottom