• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite x Metallica

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm curious about the Battleroyale mode in Fortnite Festival.

Does anyone here play Fortnite? I play Zero build non ranked, Fortnite Festival and some Rocket Racing.

If anyone wants to play together, please drop me a dm. Epic: Spyxos, Xbox: Spyxos, Psn: Fury2k78

I might redownload it if we're setting up a Gaf game.

Be warned. I'm fucking terrible at Fortnite. I get too anxious about being killed early 😭

Fess

Loved Metallica for like 20 years, but fucking hell lol. If I were a kid this would be dope though.
Been a fan for 30+ years but the last album was not interesting imo, James can still make some cool riffs but Kirk sounds old and uninspired.
Megadeth’s latest album is much better, old man Dave can still rock like few others, so much energy 👌

LordBritish

x0gNROj.jpeg

Been a fan for 30+ years but the last album was not interesting imo, James can still make some cool riffs but Kirk sounds old and uninspired.
Megadeth’s latest album is much better, old man Dave can still rock like few others, so much energy 👌
I actually quite liked the album, but a lot of the songs just sounded the same, and were far too long. Needs tightening up massively.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Gonna try the new music battle mode, I know I’ll get whooped but why not.

Folks are sleeping on Festival, they’re releasing a lot of songs every week, and every time they release new ones, you can play them free on the weekly rotation. They even added an update so you can use practically any guitar controller, supporting the near infinite input options you have on PC.

This reminds me I still have this. Need to play it again someday
91n3iwewRLL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Just bought the ps2 version of this a month ago, and the 80s. Guitars are hard to find though, luckily got a wired one for $30. Wish I didn't leave my rockband setup with the ex-wife. I figured I had rocksmith I would never want to play plastic guitars again, then nostalgia hit. Even though I play real guitar, sometimes its just fun jamming out with friends or as a fun time listening to music.

I hate fortnite, I wonder if they are trying to get people my age on board. This would be a way to do it but I am not biting.

I love thrash metal, especially from the 80s era, but I am not biting on this.
If this was a standalone game not gaas, maybe I would consider, but I don't support gaas.

Loved Metallica for like 20 years, but fucking hell lol. If I were a kid this would be dope though.
Problem is kids today don't listen to rock or metal.

They listen to shit!

Ed sheeran or Bill Eillish, Cardi B, Drake, Post malone, manage, 69x9x9x9s, Ok, yeah I am middle aged in my 40s but i know good music, and that aint it.

I guess if that is all you know.
You would think someone like Metallica would blow them away, but I think kids will just go liking them becasue they are mentioned in a show or on fortnite. They won't go loving metal and rock after this, sadly.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Problem is kids today don't listen to rock or metal.

They listen to shit!

Ed sheeran or Bill Eillish, Cardi B, Drake, Post malone, manage, 69x9x9x9s, Ok, yeah I am middle aged in my 40s but i know good music, and that aint it.

I guess if that is all you know.
You would think someone like Metallica would blow them away, but I think kids will just go liking them becasue they are mentioned in a show or on fortnite. They won't go loving metal and rock after this, sadly.
They put a Master of Puppets group emote in the game months ago and it sold a TON. Kids know the song from Stranger Things.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I understand selling out when you are poor but why do it when you are already filthy rich?
Men build empires.

Fortnite is like a multimedia vehicle now. Much like iMusic or the like in gaming form. All licensed works to appeal to all demographics. Them adding a "rock band" like mode is only natural for them to start featuring various bands and the like.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Men build empires.

Fortnite is like a multimedia vehicle now. Much like iMusic or the like in gaming form. All licensed works to appeal to all demographics. Them adding a "rock band" like mode is only natural for them to start featuring various bands and the like.
It’s not a mode like Rock Band. It IS Rock Band. Epic owns Harmonix and they made the Festival mode. It even supports instruments soon.

Last edited:

Roberts

Not even close.

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
… and Justice for All (and Jason)
Kill 'em All
The Black Album
72 Seasons

then take your pick between Load, Death Magnetic and Hardwired.

I would replace Lightning with Justice but only because the latter was my introduction to Metallica, but otherwise spot-on list.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not even close.

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
Kill 'em All
The Black Album
72 Seasons

Hardwired has the best tracks not released as singles. The solo on Atlas is amazing. And the deluxe has the best live version of Fade to Black.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The best metal guitar riffs and breakdowns before breakdowns where a thing for guttural nu metal, of all time, is Disposable Heroes.

Fess

Not even close.

Master of Puppets
Ride the Lightning
Kill 'em All
The Black Album
72 Seasons

Justice is #1. It’s just world class metal riff after riff after riff throughout the whole album. There is no bad song.

SaucyJack

Nope. Load, ReLoad and Garage Inc. And then Master of Puppets.

One doesn’t normally rank Garage Inc with being a compilation album of covers, but it’s definitely very good and I’d recommend it to anyone.

Load and Reload are candidates for bottom 3 Metallica albums along with St Anger.

SaucyJack

Justice is #1. It’s just world class metal riff after riff after riff throughout the whole album. There is no bad song.

I loved the album and would be #1 if it had been mixed even semi-competently.

Damaged Justice tour was probably my favourite though.

bender

What time is it?
Metallica largely died for me when Cliff Burton passed. Bob Rock pulverized the corpse so that there was no hope of the band ever returning to form. Metallica commercializing itself, as evidenced by this thread, is a little funny considering their hardline stance on owning the rights to their music with record labels early on. Hard to be critical of that with how the music industry has shifted. You got to make money somehow, not that the band is hurting for it in the first place.

Even mixed properly, the bass lines are lacking for obvious reasons. Maybe that's a tribute to Cliff or just emblematic of how they did, and would continue to, treat Jason.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This is great to introduce the kiddos to Metallica. You can tell they're aiming for a younger crowd with some of the anime style official music videos they did for 72 Seasons, which is a great album btw.

Seeing them twice later this year in Seattle. Friday with Pantera and Sunday with 5FDP.
There’s like one good song off those. Maybe two.
Bleeding Me is my favorite Metallica song. There's a few other good songs on that album: Until it Sleeps, King Nothing, Hero of the Day.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Fuel and Memory Remains don’t sound great on the album but are great live. The S&M recordings are better.

Carpe Diem Baby possibly the highlight for me.

Better Than You and Attitude are fuckawesome

Aint My Bitch, Bleeding Me, Outlaw Torn, Until It Sleeps, King Nothing... all 11/10 songs

My mom fuckin loved Hero of the Day back when it was getting heavy radio play :messenger_sunglasses: :messenger_horns:

Last edited:

Fess

Mixing is terrible but Justice is still the best imo, the riff work is legendary, it’s probably the best metal guitar riff albums ever, don’t know what could top it.

If mixing is the focus then black album is the best, absolutely love the sound there.

Mixing is terrible but Justice is still the best imo, the riff work is legendary, it’s probably the best metal guitar riff albums ever, don’t know what could top it.

If mixing is the focus then black album is the best, absolutely love the sound there.
If I ever see Lars on the street, I’d give him a “My Cousin Vinny” jump punch lol

n9VzDo4.gif

Yeah, I remember that. I meant "like Rock Band" since there is no instrument support yet.

Actually, yes, there is guitar and bass support now, since the previous season.

On consoles, you need a compatible RB4 guitar (or the Riffmaster). On PC, I think you can use pretty much anything and map the buttons (Keyboard Hero?).

Also, even though it’s Harmonix, it is pretty featureless when compared with RB3 or RB4. You can't restart mid-song, co-op is very lame (you can't see other players' lanes), setlists are limited or nonexistent, there are no custom band members, no campaign, etc. It has improved a bit since it started but it's still very barebones. Hopefully, they revamp it or maybe let it have its own launcher separately. DLC is $5.

The pros: DLC is cross-platform, having Slipknot & System of a Down blasting on all these Zoomers and Alphas is wild. They have been updating it every couple of months with artist collaborations (Metallica is in Festival, but also in Racing & Battle Royale), and you can use the DLC songs as lobby tracks.

Festival is middling at best, but having Goku shred a solo while Vader slaps the bass, John Cena sings, and Spiderman hits the drums is a very weird experience. But having supported RB4 until the very end, I’m glad Harmonix and this genre are having a second wind on this platform.

Top Bottom