• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freshii only holdout in law that forces food chains to share calories on menu

TheExodu5

Banned
I love the new law and I think it should be enforced nation wide regardless of the number of restaurants.

It has definitely helped me in ordering more sensible portions and better choices altogether.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Calories at the drive through have helped with diet compliance. That sort of information is seriously invaluable and should be widely accepted all over. It gives everyone ignorant as to how calorie dense their food is a sense of context.

TheExodu5

Banned
Also, some establishments complain because they say they're penalized for giving generous portions.

I think they should be penalized. I don't care how generous your portions are...you should not be serving 2000 calorie meals to a single individual.

Are calories now an alternative fact in America?

They have been for a long time.

Almost every successful fad diet is successful because it finds a way to trick the user into restricting calories without them having a shit fit over counting calories since "it doesn't work because my self diagnosed thryroid/metabolism/etc issue".

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
They have been for a long time.

Almost every successful fad diet is successful because it finds a way to trick the user into restricting calories without them having a shit fit over counting calories since "it doesn't work because my self diagnosed thryroid/metabolism/etc issue".

That's what I've noticed. All those diets that 'work', work because you end up costuming fewer calories. There are other fancy things that can come into play, but find me a diet where I can eat 2500 calories a day and lose weight, and I'll eat my hat.

Also, whatever that diet tells me to.

Kumquat

I've long maintained that store bought salads are the biggest scams when it comes to trying to eat healthy because the dressing more than makes up for any benefit the greens afford you, calorically. Your average meat on greens dish will be much healthier and much more filling

This is the dressing I use on my salads and I use it as a marinade as well. Excellent profile and gives your salad that taste you get when you go to a hibachi place. I find it at Kroger in the refrigerated section.

755763000018.jpg

Ginger_Nutrition.png

I like Freshii salads and wraps, but those things are huge and I know they are way more calories than going to the A&W next door...but there is some truth to the fact that the brown rice, peppers, and avocado have to better for you than a teen burger and fries. Regardless...show me the calories.

Fries are pretty iffy, nutritionally (if you're going to eat a potato, there are lots of better ways to do so), but the least healthy thing on a burger is usually the bun, more or less. In moderation, they're absolutely fine.

And I know this article is from Canada, but this is about to become a required thing in the US, too. The place I work just went through training about it, and is getting updated signage within the next week.

dgdas9

I would argue that people complain a lot about the costs of compliance of regulations without appreciating the benefits they bring then vice versa. National Governments have been elected on the promise of "cutting regulations" without even being able to name a single one that would be worth cutting!

I would argue the opposite. The positive effects of regulation are very visible, say in food labels, you just have to look at the nutrition label itself to see how benefits. You cannot see all the millions that didn't open, or failed, because they weren't able to bear the costs. Moreover, costs of compliance are always very difficult to grasp, and to be honest, very difficult to scientifically quantify.The only thing that balances out the positive effects of regulation is this general sense that too much of it is hurtful to the economy, and to society in general.

I think this is a very Europe VS America thing, but not many governments here come to mind that have been elected promising to 'cut regulations', except perhaps the British Tories. There's a very real sense that the law is universally good, red line is very popular with the voters, and its only cut when special interests influence government, which perhaps is why 'cutting regulations' isn't that popular. And I feel that perhaps politicians 'didn't know a single regulation worth cutting' because of how unpopular it would be to say, 'I wanna cut Housing Regulations' (didn't the Conservatives say that at one point actually?).

notsol337

marked forever
This is the dressing I use on my salads and I use it as a marinade as well. Excellent profile and gives your salad that taste you get when you go to a hibachi place. I find it at Kroger in the refrigerated section.

755763000018.jpg

Ginger_Nutrition.png

This is my favorite dressing!

Google

So first, Freshii posts their nutritional information on their website, here:
https://www.freshii.com/static/menu_pdfs/15.pdf

Second, Freshii is great. There are a few locations in Vancouver and they offer a great selection of salads, vegetables and proteins.

I'm confused by this whole thing. Freshii's deal is that you walk in, pick up a notepad, tell them which vegetables/proteins you want in your salad/bowl/wrap and they make it for you.

Calorie counting in that that environment would be a nightmare because they'd need to note every single calorie in a serving of broccoli.

Also, I'm not sure where this strain of "THEIR FOOD IS MORE UNHEALTHY THAN YOU THINK". Their most calorie dense meal is a Pangoa bowl which packs around 800 calories. This is because it's packed with Quinoa, Avocado and black beans. It's not unhealthy - just full of carbs. If you're halfway through a long bike ride, this is exactly what you'd want to eat...

GAF - LEARN NUTRITION, PLEASE.

Not all calories are equal! Some calories are obviously more equal than others.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised that Freshii is just hiding something. The online menu certainly shows that much of the food is loaded with calories.

Google

Not all calories are equal! Some calories are obviously more equal than others.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised that Freshii is just hiding something. The online menu certainly shows that much of the food is loaded with calories.

What does 'loaded with calories' mean?

How many calories would you expect to be in a bowl filled with high density carbohydrate like rice or quinoa?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
What does 'loaded with calories' mean?

How many calories would you expect to be in a bowl filled with high density carbohydrate like rice or quinoa?

Probably less than 600 - because like you mentioned, people don't have that sort of nutritional knowledge. Which is why it's so essential that caloric information is readily available. If you're a marathon runner, you're likely to know more about finding the right carb rich foods. If you're a regular joe shmoe, you'll see that salad and think 'this is how I can eat light'. 600 calories a meal isn't too much - but combine that with a smoothie, and you're at 800-1k calories.

I sincerely think that first and foremost, people need to associate 'fewer calories' with eating healthy, and then we can worry about macronutritional information when it's defecit is a real issue in the west. Too many calories absolutely is.

Google

Probably less than 600 - because like you mentioned, people don't have that sort of nutritional knowledge. Which is why it's so essential that caloric information is readily available. If you're a marathon runner, you're likely to know more about finding the right carb rich foods. If you're a regular joe shmoe, you'll see that salad and think 'this is how I can eat light'. 600 calories a meal isn't too much - but combine that with a smoothie, and you're at 800-1k calories.

Well, most Freshii salads are less than 600 calories and I'd argue that if you're eating a 500 calorie salad you're more than welcome to also indulge in a 250 calorie smoothie.

Like - where are you guys pulling these numbers from? My average salad at Freshii contains around 400 calories with 15-20g of protein (Romaine, Spinach, Tomatoes, Chicken, celery, 1/2 olive oil 1/2 lemon juice).

Like, I could eat 9-10 of these a day and still be within my normal daily caloric intake.

If you're arguing that restaurants need to do more to ensure that destructive people are less destructive on their bodies then I'd state that you're completely fucking wrong.

So first, Freshii posts their nutritional information on their website, here:
https://www.freshii.com/static/menu_pdfs/15.pdf

Second, Freshii is great. There are a few locations in Vancouver and they offer a great selection of salads, vegetables and proteins.

I'm confused by this whole thing. Freshii's deal is that you walk in, pick up a notepad, tell them which vegetables/proteins you want in your salad/bowl/wrap and they make it for you.

Calorie counting in that that environment would be a nightmare because they'd need to note every single calorie in a serving of broccoli.

Also, I'm not sure where this strain of "THEIR FOOD IS MORE UNHEALTHY THAN YOU THINK". Their most calorie dense meal is a Pangoa bowl which packs around 800 calories. This is because it's packed with Quinoa, Avocado and black beans. It's not unhealthy - just full of carbs. If you're halfway through a long bike ride, this is exactly what you'd want to eat...

GAF - LEARN NUTRITION, PLEASE.

Uh, yeah? What's the problem? Other fast food places with servers putting things together somehow manage. If chipotle can have a nutrition calculator Freshii has no excuse. It's not like they're just tossing in whatever they feel like. Preparer's have specific portion sizes for each ingredient

As far as information i want about my food, "how much energy it gives me" is obviously number one.

I actually love this new law, makes it so much easier to keep track, and even makes me appreciate the odd time I indulge in a big meal.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Well, most Freshii salads are less than 600 calories and I'd argue that if you're eating a 500 calorie salad you're more than welcome to also indulge in a 250 calorie smoothie.

Like - where are you guys pulling these numbers from? My average salad at Freshii contains around 400 calories with 15-20g of protein (Romaine, Spinach, Tomatoes, Chicken, celery, 1/2 olive oil 1/2 lemon juice).

Like, I could eat 9-10 of these a day and still be within my normal daily caloric intake.

If you're arguing that restaurants need to do more to ensure that destructive people are less destructive on their bodies then I'd state that you're completely fucking wrong.

You consume 4000 calories a day? You know that's way, WAAAAAY above what just an adult should be consuming to maintain their weight, right? If you want to just maintain weight as an adult, ~2000 is the max, if you want to lose, you are looking at less than that. If each of your meals is 800 or so calories, you'll gain weight, if you're an average human. If a couple of your meals are 1k plus in a day, and maybe you grab a latte in the morning as well? This shit adds up. That's one reason I switched from my almost daily vanilla bean latte to a low cal regular latte. Just having those numbers staring at me changed my habits for the better.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Calories are calories, It doesn't matter if you eat a donut at 1000 calories, or a steak meal for the same.
Not exactly true. Glycemic index, and fiber content and other variables. Calorie intake is still important.

Freshii, Chipotle, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's build an empire on health washing.

As long as people believe that 'organic,' 'farm to table, '' fresh,''non gmo, ' are actually measurable indicators of nutrition, we are lost.

Google

Uh, yeah? What's the problem? Other fast food places with servers putting things together somehow manage. If chipotle can have a nutrition calculator Freshii has no excuse. It's not like they're just tossing in whatever they feel like. Preparer's have specific portion sizes for each ingredient

Because, like I said, they have a paper notepad in which you write your order in. I don't know how the law works with reporting calories but I assume you'd need to individual calories per serving of veg plus the total calories for the entire thing.

With thousands of combinations I don't know how they'd do this on the slip of paper...

I dont know why so many of you are getting so upset about this. It's fucking Freshii...they make salads, rice bowls, soups and burritos. What the fuck do you think they're hiding? Fentanyl in the hard boiled eggs?

DonShula

That's what I've noticed. All those diets that 'work', work because you end up costuming fewer calories. There are other fancy things that can come into play, but find me a diet where I can eat 2500 calories a day and lose weight, and I'll eat my hat.

Also, whatever that diet tells me to.

There's a diet where you can consume 2500 calories a day. You eat whatever you want and burn 3000 or more. :)

Google

You consume 4000 calories a day? You know that's way, WAAAAAY above what just an adult should be consuming to maintain their weight, right? If you want to just maintain weight as an adult, ~2000 is the max, if you want to lose, you are looking at less than that. If each of your meals is 800 or so calories, you'll gain weight, if you're an average human. If a couple of your meals are 1k plus in a day, and maybe you grab a latte in the morning as well? This shit adds up. That's one reason I switched from my almost daily vanilla bean latte to a low cal regular latte. Just having those numbers staring at me changed my habits for the better.

yeah. That was a silly math mistake.

My point was that I'm a 6ft 1 man who weighs 200lbs. I am moderately healthy. I run 3-4 times a week. I walk between 4-6 KMs a day and I've got two young kids that keep me busy.

I'm not a fitness model but I'm not a basement dweller. I'm in between. Its my responsibility to manage my caloric intake. Not Starbucks. Not Freshii.

Congratulations on realising that a sugary vanilla bean latte is less healthy for than one without syrup. Now the next step is to go full Americano and add a splash of milk. There...I cut out 160 calories for you.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Because, like I said, they have a paper notepad in which you write your order in. I don't know how the law works with reporting calories but I assume you'd need to individual calories per serving of veg plus the total calories for the entire thing.

With thousands of combinations I don't know how they'd do this on the slip of paper...

I dont know why so many of you are getting so upset about this. It's fucking Freshii...they make salads, rice bowls, soups and burritos. What the fuck do you think they're hiding? Fentanyl in the hard boiled eggs?
How much are they paying you and can I get a referrall?

DonShula

Your explanation doesn't square with them listing nutritional info on their website. If they can list the default ingredient combinations next to a calorie count on their website, they can do it on their menu board. Simple as that.

Look. Any popular health fad. A TOTAL WASH. DO NOT BELIEVE. THE ONLY REASON COMPLEX CARBS ARE HEALTHIER IS BECAUSE THEY TAKE MORE TIME TO DIGEST. Sugar/carbs are very much interchangeable, and going on keto means stressing your liver. Ketone bodies aren't flushed out the system for nothing. And cholesterol is not a thing, it is a definition of a chemical construct. For example, sex hormones are cholesterol. Paleo is fine, if you can live with the diet. But really, you need all four macronutrients: Carbs, Proteins, Fats, and Nucleotides.

Google

Your explanation doesn't square with them listing nutritional info on their website. If they can list the default ingredient combinations next to a calorie count on their website, they can do it on their menu board. Simple as that.

Mate; it's this big;
5177066872_907e7f7878_b.jpg

Having readily available calorie information is big for me personally, so I hope they post them.

They do post them. On their website. Which is easy to get to. Also, they provide access to their nutritional information in the stores on computers in the lineup.

Yudoken

Guys, I wrote (unspecified) America as a joke.
But most people assume America = USA so it's my mistake.

I should've wrote North America to make it exactly clear.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
"Not all calories are created equal. Some calories are healing, some are harming."

Healing calories include organic calories, yoga calories, farm-to-table calories, horoscope calories, natural calories, zero calories, homeopathic calories, aura calories, and fruit calories

Harming calories include toxin calories, GMO calories, salt calories, chemical calories, artificial dye calories, cancer calories, big pharma calories, conservative calories, and vaccine calories

Cleanse your chi by only ingesting healing calories from Freshii

firelogic

Even coupons you get in the mail from places like McDonalds, Pizzaville, and KFC show the calorie counts for each item being advertised as well as a note indicating how many calories the average person should be consuming in a day to be more or less healthy.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

My point was that I'm a 6ft 1 man who weighs 200lbs. I am moderately healthy. I run 3-4 times a week. I walk between 4-6 KMs a day and I've got two young kids that keep me busy.

I'm not a fitness model but I'm not a basement dweller. I'm in between. Its my responsibility to manage my caloric intake. Not Starbucks. Not Freshii.

Congratulations on realising that a sugary vanilla bean latte is less healthy for than one without syrup. Now the next step is to go full Americano and add a splash of milk. There...I cut out 160 calories for you.

A regular latte with low fat milk is 120 :p.

There's a freshii beside where I work. I don't really count calories but damn if they're pulling that shit I ain't going there for lunch again.

Not that I would cause their food is completely tasteless, mind you.

DonShula

Mate; it's this big;
5177066872_907e7f7878_b.jpg

They do post them. On their website. Which is easy to get to. Also, they provide access to their nutritional information in the stores on computers in the lineup.

So why isn't the information on the menu board for default configurations?

Still waiting for an answer on that one.

If the fine is only $10,000 a day and this is a "healthy" option that maybe isn't so healthy after all, it's probably in their financial best interest to pay the fines and keep doing what they're doing. It would only take losing about 800 customers a day across all their chains to lose revenue equivalent to what they're paying in fines.

Google

So why isn't the information on the menu board for default configurations?

Still waiting for an answer on that one.

I mean, I'm in Vancouver and nowhere does that here.

Maybe it's a branding thing? I dont know what they have to hide, their default configurations are easily found on their website and as we've discussed are incredibly non-aggressive from a nutritional perspective.

Kumquat

You're right. It is your responsibility to manage your caloric intake. The best way for you to manage your caloric intake is to have items on menus clearly show the caloric content of that item so you can make the decision that makes sense for you so you can manage your caloric intake.

1200px-Barack_Obama_Mic_Drop_2016.jpg

Deft Beck

The one time I ate at Freshii I had the most tepid burrito I've had in my life. The place just had no personality and the food wasn't especially healthy in the end.

Top Bottom