• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday B.O. Estimates = Spider-Man 2 Can't Be Stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Stay classy, Rod Burgundy. Spider-Man 2 is gearin' up for a ~ $40million weekend. Awesome.

1 SPIDER-MAN 2 4,166 $14,330,000

2 ANCHORMAN: THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY 3,091 $10,700,000

3 KING ARTHUR 3,003 $5,010,000

4 FAHRENHEIT 9/11 2,011 $3,202,000

5 THE NOTEBOOK 2,288 $2,168,000

6 WHITE CHICKS 2,201 $2,000,000

7 DODGEBALL: A TRUE UNDERDOG STORY 2,444 $1,822,000

8 SLEEPOVER 2,207 $1,790,000

9 THE TERMINAL 2,313 $1,501,000

10 SHREK 2 2,142 $1,376,000

DMczaf

WHITE CHICKS
Domestic Total as of Jul. 9, 2004: $52,681,000 (Estimate)
Production Budget: $37 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $30 million

THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK
Domestic Total as of Jul. 8, 2004: $55,191,735
Production Budget: $105 million
Est. Marketing Costs: $35 million

Vin should have made Riddick into a white chick who saves a planet.

Alcibiades

Wow, The Legend of Ron Burgandy is doing pretty good, not spectacular, but above what I expected for a comedy whose target doesn't move much beyond college students and young adults...

Considering Spidey 2 had the biggest opening ever, I thought launching a week after would be a mistake for DreamWorks, but if WOM is good, it can probably perform similar to Dodgeball (maybe a little less)...

It'll probably make up for how The Terminal didn't take off big...

Meier

That's actually a pretty disappointing number for Spidey 2. Looks on track to a 45 or so million weekend -- I'd say its chances of being the #1 movie of the year are now dead although it still could manage to crawl past the original's overall gross.

As for me, I contributed to the number for Anchorman and King Arthur this weekend (and the Korean movie Oasis).

jett

D-Member
Spidey 2 is going to gross less than 40 million this weekend. It should reach 250 overall, though.

Belfast

Spidey 2 was....meh. I liked it, but I don't have a reason to go see it more than once. Its strange, too, because i usually get excited by the bigger summer movies. Hell, I even saw X2 like 3 times. Anyway, I think its got the edge over Anchorman due to its extra 1000 or so screens. If it had as many playings, Anchorman would surely whip it this weekend.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Belfast said:
Anyway, I think its got the edge over Anchorman due to its extra 1000 or so screens. If it had as many playings, Anchorman would surely whip it this weekend.
According to friday's estimates, Anchorman had a higher per-theater average... if only by $22. It'll be interesting to see how the two end up with weekend estimates in just 10 hours or so. Not that I really care, but still, it's interesting.

Meier

Anchorman was on 2 screens at the place I saw it.. Spidey 2 was on 7. The TC for SM2 is a 1000 more but man, the screen count must literally be in the thousands higher.

Mrbob

Wow Spiderman 2 needs 1000 more screens to barely scrape by Anchorman.

Spidey 2 has no legs. It won't even pass Shrek 2.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Meier said:
Anchorman was on 2 screens at the place I saw it.. Spidey 2 was on 7. The TC for SM2 is a 1000 more but man, the screen count must literally be in the thousands higher.
Yeah, I wish screen counts were available, as they're far more informative, and harder to skew data with. Better yet, some tracking company needs to do actual ticket sales.

Teddman

DeadStar said:
LOL! 3 huge budget bombs for disney in one summer. hahaha
Remember though, Disney did not fund Around the World in 80 Days, only distribute it. The $110 million budget of that film was financed independently by billionaire Philip Anschutz's Walden Media corp.

Alucard

Banned
I know nothing about the mythology or history of Arthur so if there are any inaccuracies I wouldn't really notice them. I'll likely end up seeing it. Maybe even on Sunday night.

Manders

Banned
holy fuck! spider-man 2 beat anchorman?????? at my theater, i accidently walked into spider-man 2 and there wasn't more than 20 people in there. anchorman was sold out. how can this be?

Mrbob

Manders said:
holy fuck! spider-man 2 beat anchorman?????? at my theater, i accidently walked into spider-man 2 and there wasn't more than 20 people in there. anchorman was sold out. how can this be?

Becuase you only witnessed a crossection of one screen out of over 4000??? :p

Meier

Mrbob said:
Becuase you only witnessed a crossection of one screen out of over 4000??? :p

Again, that number isnt screens but theatres it's playing at. The screen count for Spidey 2 was probably around 9,000 versus 5,000 for Anchorman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom