• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, help me decide on a new electric guitar....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
don't buy into the fender hate. just play a LOT of them because their sounds can vary among guitars. find one that sounds and feels great before you drop the cash. here's my strat that i'm absolutely in love with... i'd love to have a tele too

mybabies.jpg

fart

Savant
anyone here actually work on guitars? i have a bunch of parts (switches, knobs, jacks) i need to replace on my korean pos. does guitar center sell these parts? i figure i can probably find most of them at digikey but i don't want to have to size everything myself and hope i don't make a mistake.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
fart said:
anyone here actually work on guitars? i have a bunch of parts (switches, knobs, jacks) i need to replace on my korean pos. does guitar center sell these parts? i figure i can probably find most of them at digikey but i don't want to have to size everything myself and hope i don't make a mistake.

Yep, I've done some work on guitars. I've taken apart every nook and cranny of my old ass piece of shit Kramer Focus and put it back together. I removed all of the pickups, cut their wiring, and then re-soldered everything back. I even did a pickup swap, put pickups from my Ibanez into my ESP and vice versa. If you take your guitar to guitar center, they'll be able to do it for you, but will charge you like $50. Check to see if they the parts you need. I've seen Sam-Ash sell knobs and whatnot in these plastic bags.

fart

Savant
so yes they sell the parts? guess i better head out there. normally i'd go to subway and root through the parts bin but i won't be up north for a couple months

i shouldn't say normally because i haven't been there for like 8 years. i hope they're still open :/

fart

Savant
:/ i need the actual switch part and possibly some pents, definitely a jack. i'll probably have to rewire it all too, so whatever else is in there i'll just up and replace. ideally i should replace everything but the pickups.

ballhog

I've done a bit of work on my own guitars. Things like truss rod adjustments, replacing bridges/pickups. If you can solder and handle a screwdriver there isn't much to it. Most guitar stores carry pickups and various hardware, or will order it for you. I got $400 bucks worth of EMG pickups used for $80, preamp, pots, switch and all one time, just talk to the guy who fixes stuff, they have all sorts of crap lying around. Guitars are simple things, if you are even semi-handy, you can handle most of the work. Big exception though, not only should you not re-fret your guitar, don't let anyone else attempt it either. I have never, in 20 years, seen a guitar with with new frets that wasn't completely fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom