• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, help me find a new computer desk

Magwik

Banned
Topic is as simple as it seems. I'm in desperate need for a new desk (coming off of a glass corner desk) as I am running out of room on mine and that room is much needed. I'm running two 24in monitors and a PS4 Pro, and will probably be adding a switch down the line as well, so it'll​ get a bit crowded fast.

Right now I'm looking at:
m001913036_sc7
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YPRRZ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Which seems to be on the cheap side, but has plenty of room for everything going off of customer images. But the cheapness of the build has me worried a monitor mount would tear right through the wood.

Next we have the Bekant from Ikea which is what I'm leaning towards. Has more then enough space, and I've seen various setups of it that look fantastic. Downside: $250.

Can anyone bat for either of these or have a suggestion of their own?

GamerSciz

Topic is as simple as it seems. I'm in desperate need for a new desk (coming off of a glass corner desk) as I am running out of room on mine and that room is much needed. I'm running two 24in monitors and a PS4 Pro, and will probably be adding a switch down the line as well, so it'll​ get a bit crowded fast.

Right now I'm looking at:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YPRRZ8/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Which seems to be on the cheap side, but has plenty of room for everything going off of customer images. But the cheapness of the build has me worried a monitor mount would tear right through the wood.

Next we have the Bekant from Ikea which is what I'm leaning towards. Has more then enough space, and I've seen various setups of it that look fantastic. Downside: $250.

Can anyone bat for either of these or have a suggestion of their own?

When choosing a desk there are like 3 main questions you need to ask.

1. How much do you care about wires/cables being hidden?
2. Will you have enough room for everything in an organized-ish faction.
3. Is the height going to work for you with the chair you have?

I'd say answering yes to those 3 questions is a good start then go from there.

In other words the 2nd desk has no storage at all and while that makes it free to stack things or whatnot I wouldn't say it's right for you with all the accessories/systems you plan on having on it.

The first desk isn't too shabby to put consoles monitors and have some real estate left over for whatever other accessory you have. Plus it looks like it has some holes for cables which is always a bonus.

J3ffro

I've used the pre-cursor to the Bekant both at home and at the office for years. It's a no frills level surface that's rock solid, and it is modular so I could expand it some (which is nice at my office since I needed to add a scanner).

When I was in college I picked up a few different desks similar to your first one, and I was always disappointed. They never held up very well.

I'm trying to find the listing for the small corner desk I'm using now for my PC, but my wife bought it at Wayfair (she values our home's aesthetic and use of space more than I do, so we donated the massive Ikea beast and got something more appropriately sized) and I can't find it.

In regard to the Ikea having no storage, we picked up fairly inexpensive little three drawer sliding deals that sits under each desk in the office. Also, we used a matching piece from Ikea, along with four little Ikea struts to create monitor stands. That gives the desk a lot more depth.

I have the malm from ikea and am very happy with it. Minimalist, very sturdy, easy to build, and has a compartment in the back for cable management.

You seem to like corner desks, and the malm isn't really a corner desk but it has a configuration that has a little table slide out and make it sort-of a corner desk. I didn't install that part though

+1 for Ikea recs

Also, with a dual monitor setup, you could also use a desk mount for them. Keep them elevated above the desk and you have room for more stuff. There's a single mount on Massdrop for $35.99 right now, but double mounts also exist.

Here's the link, but you need to register with Massdrop to actually view the page: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/vivo-deluxe-monitor-gas-spring-desk-mount

Edit- shipping on that looks to be $13, so if you wanted a desk mount Amazon or new egg might be a better deal

TrounceX

Imo height adjust is the single most important feature of a desk, otherwise your ergonomics are inevitably going to be messed up somehow. Never skimp on ergonomics, you have one body, don't fuck it up over a few dollars.

Ikea Bekant is a good one, or try looking for an Ikea Gallant on Craigslist. Same thing basically but older model. I picked up a gigantic L shaped Gallant for $100 with drawer system and I love it.

Joco

I also suggest Ikea. I have the Ikea Fredde and love it, but I don't know if it has the space you're looking for.

Mechazawa

I ended up getting two of these from Ikea a few months and L-shaping them myself. Spacious, cheap and they look pretty good. You just gotta be on top of your coaster game, though, cause I'm pretty sure they'll instantly disintegrate the moment any water comes in contact with them.

brennok

Neo Member
One thing to look around and see if you have any office furniture warehouses around you.

Here we have multiple office furniture warehouses that not only will order new desks from companies like Hon, but will also have one off pieces they picked up used off closing businesses. You can get some nice desks this way for cheap delivered.

I picked up a used Hon desk for $200 which is nice and deep but also really wide. I want to say it is 32"d x72"w x 36"h.

Miasma

Go with the Bekant Corner and pair it with the Markus Office Chair (The chair of dreams) and I'm sure you will be satisfied with the decision.

I just built my own a couple weeks ago out of old reclaimed pine, pipes, and a shelf I got from Ikea a few years ago to house my PC.

18556986_10213067647585309_3542969499910576467_n.jpg

It's actually a lot bigger than it looks here. My scanner is a beast and dwarfs everything.

is that piss in bottles?

I've seen that picture many times before, and I didn't even notice the piss bottles until you said it... gross.

I hope this is a joke. Folding tables are awesome for work etc, but cmon, I'm pretty sure I see the middle sagging.

The desk doesn't look like it's sagging to the point where things would slowly slide, and the heaviest things are those monitors, which probably aren't that heavy to begin with

lem0n

Hey OP, I found the best desk for me was an Ikea hack. Very simple to make, and extremely stable. Here's a picture of my setup, plenty of room for everything:

17191362_101545124218rcpjs.jpg

It's an Ikea 74'' Karlby tabletop, a set of Alex drawers, and a basic truss, I forget the name. You can also do two Alex drawers if the truss isn't to your taste. All in it's kinda expensive but it's worth it if you want room and, I think, a really attractive setup!

Drain You

I just built my own a couple weeks ago out of old reclaimed pine, pipes, and a shelf I got from Ikea a few years ago to house my PC.

It's actually a lot bigger than it looks here. My scanner is a beast and dwarfs everything.

This is beautiful man, really wish I was capable of building something like that. I especially love that you used reclaimed wood.

The desk doesn't look like it's sagging to the point where things would slowly slide, and the heaviest things are those monitors, which probably aren't that heavy to begin with

Still not a fan. I'd rather have a very sturdy surface.

This is beautiful man, really wish I was capable of building something like that. I especially love that you used reclaimed wood.
It was honestly the first time I've ever built anything like that haha. I got tips from some of my family and YouTube then just went to work.

I actually fell in love with the project, and want to pick up carpentry as a hobby now. It was extremely therapeutic for my anxiety.

Drain You

It was honestly the first time I've ever built anything like that haha. I got tips from some of my family and YouTube then just went to work.

I actually fell in love with the project, and want to pick up carpentry as a hobby now. It was extremely therapeutic for my anxiety.

Well shit, that is a bit of an inspiration now. Guess I gotta get back to work.

That first desk looks nice and inexpensive. Looks like you could clamp a racing wheel to it as well which is a plus. Some desks you can't because of drawers or extra space underneath. Needs to be thin.

Kalnos

Banned
Go with the Bekant Corner and pair it with the Markus Office Chair (The chair of dreams) and I'm sure you will be satisfied with the decision.

Bekant yes, the Markus has a really firm seat though so I would try it out to see if you like it. I fuckin' hated it.

I just got this one last week:

c0247e50-e57b-43a7-9af4-91b6d8334cff_1.76749809c665f28bd8203a7de06ee136.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Homes-and-Gardens-Cube-Organizer-Desk-Multiple-Finishes/49404218?variantFieldId=actual_color

Wait for it to go on sale though. I don't know why they jumped in prince but I got mine for $82.

It's VERY sturdy. You won't have as much top space as an L desk but you can probably store your consoles on the little box shelf things, there's plenty of room and well ventilated.

However, if you need something right now and cheap, I'd just go with that first L desk you posted. It looks simple and your consoles, at least the Switch, should fit on those racks.

I'll get blasted, but this is what I have. I suggest splurging and getting something that you won't need to replace or want to.

http://www.sit4life.com/products/He...tand-table-laminate-top-electric-30-x-60/1410

If you are concerned about build quality as you mention in your post, look into used/new Steelcase or Herman Miller. You can often find them on Craig's List or office liquidation companies. The one I have linked above is a Herman Miller. I like it.

Not blasting you at all friend, sit-stand desks are the way to go IMO. :) The only problem I'd have with this though is that I would never, ever buy Herman Miller products used or refurbished unless you are getting a phenomenal price.

Simply because if you buy straight from them, they have a seriously mind bottling warrantee.

On my embody chair at least, which I received as a gift from a friend who works at Herman Miller, I have a lifetime warranty. Not just that. But I loaded it up in my step parents van and drove 2 hours away to the only dealer authorized to do repairs anywhere near me because I had a stuck hydraulic issue ever since it was delivered to me. When I got there the man was able to fix it pretty much like magic by doing what I already tried a thousand times and shaking the lever making me look like a dunce. Afterwards he said that since they where able to verify my chair and that I was indeed the recipient of the gift (I could have done all this on the phone but we where going to town for a doctors appointment anyway) that if I ever needed my chair serviced again for any reason they would just send out a repair man to my location... I was shocked and told him where I lived and he said it didn't matter, it's their policy... Earned a customer for life right there. If I have the money I will forever buy their products if I can't build it myself.

Top Bottom