• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Order

My friends can't even take me seriously when I tell them that most of my Spotify library is composed of music by black artists. They can't handle Logic, let alone someone like Kendrick Lamar or Isaiah Rashad.

Apparently RTJ isn't suburban white kid-core enough for GAF considering the reaction they got in the Game Awards thread last year...
No joke, get new friends.

Wow, that's some pretty intolerant shit right there. Where could you even live that has people talk that bullshit? In my case, my friends have just resigned themselves to listening to whatever I put on and I've gotten them to listen to some good stuff as a result. It's just persistence on your part till they find that one song they really enjoy.

Also, NeoGAF is a place where people didn't know who Ariana Grande was until she was added to Final Fantasy. There are probably people on this site who could rattle off every single track title on the FFXV OST but couldn't name one Ariana Grande song. You'd best not use GAF as a resource for anything non-video game music related.

Let me put it this way: when I was in middle school, there was only one black kid, and every year he won "Best Hair" just because he was black.

As for GAF's musical knowledge... yeah, outside of this thread it's pretty terrible.

kai3345

Banned
are your friends exclusively into toby keith or some shit or what lmao

how can you be alive in 2017 and "not listen to black artists"

I don't know man... I'm a super pale white kid, and all the people I know are white too.

My university is super diverse so I'm sure I could make some new friends if I put in the effort.

Icolin

Banned
The Booty Tape is the shit, funniest shit I heard this year

The Booty Tape is what Yachty and 2 Chainz's albums should've have been; funny, no filler. It's great.

Wow, that's some pretty intolerant shit right there. Where could you even live that has people talk that bullshit? In my case, my friends have just resigned themselves to listening to whatever I put on and I've gotten them to listen to some good stuff as a result. It's just persistence on your part till they find that one song they really enjoy.

Also, NeoGAF is a place where people didn't know who Ariana Grande was until she was added to Final Fantasy. There are probably people on this site who could rattle off every single track title on the FFXV OST but couldn't name one Ariana Grande song. You'd best not use GAF as a resource for anything non-video game music related.

That's fucking embarrassing. Were they just joking or did they really not know Ariana Grande?

OG Kush

J Hus - Spirit (Video)

776iSKK.gif

Love this track. Good video too. J Hus's album is def one of my favs this year.

FZZ

Banned
Rodeo is his best album the falsehood that DBR is better is why Xia needs to be here

Drugs You Should Try, Skyfall, Sloppy Toppy, and Basement Freestyle still hard tho

LionPride

Banned
I can't imagine not listening to black artists, maybe it's cause I'm black and shit and have been around so many types of artists and music growin up before I even got into hip hop/rap

Icolin

Banned
Don't Play is the best song on DBR. Whole tape is fantastic though.

But Upper Echelon and Uptown brings Owl Pharaoh above DBR for me.

Moonkid

Ive never properly listened to Owl, should probably get on that.

Edit: Am I the only one who thought TIs verse was pretty hype? Sure it didnt need to be in that particular song but I dig it all the same.

I can't imagine not listening to black artists, maybe it's cause I'm black and shit and have been around so many types of artists and music growin up before I even got into hip hop/rap
It's the same case with me in terms of listening to black artists.

I grew up in a very stereotypical suburbia and I don't really know how I got so into hip-hop. The first time I listened to hip-hop was "Stronger" and from there, it was Sean Kingston, Sean Paul, that Madonna Bond theme, and then it was a couple of "GOOD Friday" singles. It is very weird, in hindsight, that one of the first real songs I enjoyed was "Take One For The Team" by Kanye, Pusha, Keri Hilson, and CyHi. And then from there, it's been hip-hop, electronic, and a little bit of everything else from there.

Icolin

Banned
Imagine putting anything other than Quintana as the best song off DBR

then again t.i. Did ruin it

Even without T.I., stuff like The Prayer, Mamacita, Skyfall, and Don't Play are better IMO.

Ive never properly listened to Owl, should probably get on that.

Edit: Am I the only one who thought TIs verse was pretty hype? Sure it didnt need to be in that particular song but I dig it all the same.

It'd be okay if it was on a separate track as an interlude, but it ruins the flow of Quintana.

It's the same case with me in terms of listening to black artists.

I grew up in a very stereotypical suburbia and I don't really know how I got so into hip-hop. The first time I listened to hip-hop was "Stronger" and from there, it was Sean Kingston, Sean Paul, that Madonna Bond theme, and then it was a couple of "GOOD Friday" singles. It is very weird, in hindsight, that one of the first real songs I enjoyed was "Take One For The Team" by Kanye, Pusha, Keri Hilson, and CyHi. And then from there, it's been hip-hop, electronic, and a little bit of everything else from there.

This is pretty close to how I got into hip-hop. I can't really pinpoint when exactly I got into hiphop; it's been a gradual process.

I guess hearing more and more hip-hop features on non hip-hop songs, especially mainstream pop, helped that gradual process.

Sloppy Toppy is easily the best produced song on that entire collection, but fuck who thought it was a good idea to let 5 people talk about blowjobs for 4 and a half minutes.

Seriously, "She gag on the dick and she burpin' / She swallow my kids like a slurpee" is not the mental image I want from any song.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Birds has grown on me quite a bit.

Rodeo > Owl Pharoah > DBR > Birds

Rodeo caught me by surprise, it's such a damn cohesive project and great songs end to end, I genuinely didn't think he had it in him.

Travis really can't lose TBH

Icolin

Banned

Rodeo caught me by surprise, it's such a damn cohesive project and great songs end to end, I genuinely didn't think he had it in him.

This is my feeling on Rodeo too; I liked his previous work, but I didn't expect him to release something as good as Rodeo ever, let alone as his debut album.

As for Birds: half of it is really really good, and the other half is basura. It is growing on me for sure though.

i listened to GKMC again recently and it's amazing how well each song flows into the next. individually they're just little touches, but together they make the album as a whole so much nicer to listen to.

Icolin

Banned
i listened to GKMC again recently and it's amazing how well each song flows into the next. individually they're just little touches, but together they make the album as a whole so much nicer to listen to.

Yeah, it's still Kendrick's best work in my opinion. It really is like one long song, with how the skits and beats transition so smoothly.

It's the same with TPAB, but I find myself revisiting GKMC more often, so I guess I like it more.

Moonkid

Sloppy Toppy is easily the best produced song on that entire collection, but fuck who thought it was a good idea to let 5 people talk about blowjobs for 4 and a half minutes.

Seriously, "She gag on the dick and she burpin' / She swallow my kids like a slurpee" is not the mental image I want from any song.
I know we've discussed the song before but I want to add here that I actually don't mind the lyrics - going over the top doesn't always work but here it fits in, especially due to the adlibs. Offset's verse is something else. Now travis' line in Love Galore... "Let me cum inside ya/let me plant that seed inside ya", what the fuck is that.

STEADY WITH THE CREW
STEADY WITH THE CREW

Someone hook me up with a .gif.

Icolin

Banned
I know we've discussed the song before but I want to add here that I actually don't mind the lyrics - going over the top doesn't always work but here it fits in, especially due to the adlibs. Offset's verse is something else. Now travis' line in Love Galore... "Let me cum inside ya/let me plant that seed inside ya", what the fuck is that.

STEADY WITH THE CREW
STEADY WITH THE CREW

Someone hook me up with a .gif.

tumblr_ojfla5VeJk1r8e7yco2_500.gif

STRAIGHT FROM MEXICOOO

whew. Travis Scott in this weird realm where I don't like him much at all on his verses. but then the ad libs and that massive production that his songs bring is dope. they always bump in the rapcars.

Gambit61

I don't really care if Tyler is being real or not on Flower Boy. I've been loving the shit out of this project. Love the artistic vision he got here and the instrumentals are so smooth I can blast it all day.

Yeah I'm still listening to it daily. Production is so good.

Icolin

Banned
STRAIGHT FROM MEXICOOO

whew. Travis Scott in this weird realm where I don't like him much at all on his verses. but then the ad libs and that massive production that his songs bring the heat all the time. they always bump in the rapcars.

STRAIGHT UP

IT'S LIT

I think it's his autotune and distortion on his voice that makes his music go hard, in addition to the production obviously.

HiiiLife

I spent a good amount of my years in the most suburb area in the US (Utah) and never really had the problems Quantum had. Damn shame. Then again I grew up in a household with a bunch of family members that had different tastes, played instruments or sings. So I guess it was just natural to gravitate towards all genres w/o discrimination.

Even without T.I., stuff like The Prayer, Mamacita, Skyfall, and Don't Play are better IMO.

On a stakeout on your farm or ya lake house.

I remember y'all flamin me for hatin she will by Danny. I just can't stand any of these type a songs. Gettin dome or givin. A line or two is cool. But 5 minutes? Sike.

STRAIGHT FROM MEXICOOO

whew. Travis Scott in this weird realm where I don't like him much at all on his verses. but then the ad libs and that massive production that his songs bring is dope. they always bump in the rapcars.

Truly the goat auto tune so far in rap history.

DMVfan123

Banned
You guys just reminded me about that thread where FreeMufasa talked about a term that was common vocabulary for blacks and Neogaf didn't know WTF he was talking about

HiiiLife

You guys just reminded me about that thread where FreeMufasa talked about a term that was common vocabulary for blacks and Neogaf didn't know WTF he was talking about

Bougie? Deadass? I'm losing track on this site.

Can you really blame a forum that is more than likely a bunch of white suburban nerds that prolly never interacted with a minority in their life? Of course I'm just assuming. But. Lol.

LionPride

Banned

Can you really blame a forum that is more than likely a bunch of white suburban nerds that prolly never interacted with a minority in their life? Of course I'm just assuming. But. Lol.
Niggas who in OT just listen to metal and niggas on Gaming Side who don't know Ariana Grande from a Grande Chalupa and don't know what a Dab was

Any hope of modern knowledge of pop culture on this site is lost

NeoGAF is not where one goes for the pulse of the people

Like people didn't know what the fuck Bougie meant

Nigga context clues can tell you what the fuck that means I mean come on

Moonkid

I remember a couple threads along those lines but not the words itself. At face value I don't think it's that alarming, not everyone on Gaf is in a part of the world where they'd be exposed to that language. But people do tend to make a big fuss about it rather than just asking or looking it up themselves.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
My friends can't even take me seriously when I tell them that most of my Spotify library is composed of music by black artists. They can't handle Logic, let alone someone like Kendrick Lamar or Isaiah Rashad.

Apparently RTJ isn't suburban white kid-core enough for GAF considering the reaction they got in the Game Awards thread last year...
So bizarre. Actually I was quite similar tbh lol

are your friends exclusively into toby keith or some shit or what lmao

how can you be alive in 2017 and "not listen to black artists"
They probably listen to alternative or country defintley.

I'm not black, but defintley this. Then again I actually listen to a wide variety unlike my guy friends ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Oh I was in that thread mentioning how I had never heard of it haha. Also there was a long thread where we argued if Migos was popular (I was very foolish).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The use of features on Rodeo is as good as it gets. Travis is relatively feature-dependent, but he knows how to use them well.

I remember thinking 3500 was way too long and drawn out when it came out, but my god it's a vibe that keeps on bouncing and building. Future too, but 2 Chainz is FLOATING on it. Last great verse from him IMO.

Tity Boi's my alias
Real n***as my radius
Trill n***as on the song with me
If she bad as hell I'll pay the babysitter (I will!)
In a black Mercedes with her
Doin' about 180 with her
I was born a hustler, paraphernalia in my baby pictures
Resident all eloquent, leather shit in my front yard
TV by my swimming pool, got that built like a sports bar
Chevelle with a new motor, got the bitch like a sports car
Yeah, my name is Tity Boi, I don't fuck with hoes that wear sports bras (Nah!)
Crib bigger than your imagination
Call the trap house the gas station
Call momma's house the Jag station

tumblr_m047b3DvDS1rprwzqo1_400.gif

----------

Then there's Pray 4 Love which doesn't get enough.. love.. IMO. Weeknd talking that talk too.

I'm right here, you know where I stay
And if you don't, then ask your girl, she probably know the way

QuerulousTeemingBabirusa.gif

----------

Nightcrawler which has the GOAT Chief Keef verse.

Aye, walked up in the bank, ordered me some funds
Walked in the strip club, order me some ones
I walked up in the gun store, order me some guns
Your bitch walked up in the spot and she ordered me for lunch

tumblr_ngc5v3mzm31qll3oqo1_500.gif

----------

And of course, Maria I'm Drunk with Buggati Biebz coming through with the heat.

Damn girl, I'll be up late
If you want, you can meet me at the studio
Yeah, I've been drinkin' all night
Take a shot, all we got is Don Julio

tumblr_o7nfwocztb1rn5gv3o1_500.gif

xHiryu

im glad nightcrawler gets love on this forum, shits an absolute banger from the minute it starts. this song made me realize that swae lee actually has talent. rodeo is a strong 9/10 trap album, only two skippable tracks imo (wasted, piss on your grave), def hyped for that quav x trav tape if Dis Side / PUTP are anything to go by.

goddamn that east coast track is fuckin tough. glad NY is getting strong in the current rap scene. SHEESH dave east's verse is filthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom