• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

gaf, you are my only hope … or, HD buying age … or, what have I done … or,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

So, well, I decided to upgrade my 55A2000, but the story is a little interesting. I missed out late last year when OneCall was dumping off their A3000 TV’s at crazy prices, but I now finally found a place that is offering a comparable discount (Sears) as they jettison the line.

The problem is, I kind of wanted to move up to the 60”, but there aren’t any available in my area (they will not import from other distribution centers, and I’d have to pick it up myself – I’m not renting a truck to go pick up a TV :p)

So anyway, the 55” actually is in stock … but I can purchase a floor model 60” for $20 more. And that’s exactly what I did, but I’m not sure it was the right decision. It isn’t being delivered until Wednesday, so I can easily switch it to the 55” tomorrow if I’m so inclined.

My first reservation is simply that it’s a floor model. I inspected it, and all seems well … but I haven’t had experience purchasing a floor model of a big piece of tech before. Should I be concerned? It has the full warranty, and I can get an extended one for it (for RPTV’s, they are worth it … as they include bulb replacement).

What’s weird though is that Sears charges significantly more for the extended warranty of the 60” versus the 55”. I may try to talk them down, as there really is no reason for the difference. I’m actually going to call the place I had my last TV’s warranty, and see if they will offer one on a floor model. It would certainly be a bit cheaper through them. The only downfall is that in the event of not being able to repair the TV, they would simply refund my TV’s cost … whereas Sears would do the same, but also offer a comparable TV as a replacement if I so choose. They currently offer Samsung LED DLP’s at 60”, so I’d actually be offered a more expensive model in the event of a no-repair (if that were to happen, hopefully the image quality on that line will have come around … otherwise, I’ll just take the money).

So basically, my questions are as follows:

• Anyone have experience purchasing a floor-model HDTV?

• What is your take on doing it, should I just go with a new 55”?

• For the warranty, should I just save the money and go through another company if they’ll do one on the floor model? I’m not sure the guarantee of a comparable model is worth it. While it could work out, its unknown what TV’s they’ll offer at the time … so its an unknown quantity IMO.

Nicodimas

Banned
I would go with the larger one.

Remember that they had that TV on torch mode for however long. Get the warranty always with a floor model (try to get it for free).

If your fine with owning a floor model..then go for it. I would look at the date of production just to see how okay you are with it. As long as it last five years you should be fine.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
I would go with the larger one.

Remember that they had that TV on torch mode for however long. Get the warranty always with a floor model (try to get it for free).

If your fine with owning a floor model..then go for it. I would look at the date of production just to see how okay you are with it. As long as it last five years you should be fine.

I'm personally okay with owning a floor model, but I have no experience doing it ... so I wasn't sure if its considered a bad idea. If most people have had bad experiences, I'd have some second thoughts.

As for getting the warranty free, I doubt that will happen given the price ($1329 for what is considered by many to be the best overall RPTV made thus far), but I'll try to wheel-and-deal some sort of discount.

Did I mention that I opened up a Sears card to purchase it? That got me another 10% off :p

I thought you bought multi thousand dollar recievers and imported $50 movies on the regular, surprised you don't have a 65" LCD or something...

Raistlin

SlaughterX said:
I thought you bought multi thousand dollar recievers and imported $50 movies on the regular, surprised you don't have a 65" LCD or something...

They don't look as good as SXRD to me (and most reviewers) ... other than the Kuro, and arguably the newest Sony/Sammy LCDs. I could afford to get one of those, but the level of diminishing returns given the price difference just doesn't seem worth it to me.

I'll consider upgrading if the infinite contrast Kuro ever happens ... or one some other technology really steps up (OLED, or maybe if there are some LCD breakthroughs). Other than that, maybe I'd jump on 3D if it really takes off, and actually has content that is worth purchasing. But in that case, only if the pictures quality is as good (or better).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom