• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFers near Reading, PA!

Dave Long

Banned
A new arcade just opened at the Berkshire Mall where the previous arcade was. It's filled with some great old arcade machines. Asteroids, Pac-Man, Tempest, Centipede, Donkey Kong, DK Jr. Donkey Kong 3 (!), Pengo, Joust 2, the three big Laserdisc games, Dragon's Lair, DL2 and Space Ace and many more. Absolutely worth a trip if you're close enough to stop in.

Also, they've got a two slot MVS with Samurai Shodown V and Super Dodge Ball! I never thought I'd get to play Sammy V here in Reading. It's incredibly lucky that they chose that game to put in the unit.

Don't expect a pile of "ride games" like the monster Sega or Namco gun units and whatnot. This is a definitely throwback arcade that's dark and nostalgic. Most games are a quarter too with some at the high price of 50 cents ;). The MVS is only a quarter!

Check it out. If you see a guy with long brown hair at the MVS around lunchtime on weekdays, it just may be me.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
And here I thought every arcade in eastern PA had closed down except for, like, the Putt-Putts.

Ristamar

The mall arcades in my part of PA have all obviously turned into the "Go Go Hyper Dance Gun Con Ultimate Bass Fishing Remix" crap fests that cost a buck a pop. It'd be nice to walk into an old school joint again...

Dave Long

Banned
There's a more ride oriented arcade at the Fairgrounds Square Mall across town from this one. That's a Namco owned one so they've at least got some good fighters in there.

I found this post on the Dragon's Lair Project board about the arcade. This may have suddenly become a destination for some people here...

Hello All,

On the heels of all the talk about CAX I am going to be subversive in my timing as usual and make an announcement of the opening of my new arcade (just remember you read about it on the DLP first). Challenge Arcade is now open for business in the Berkshire Mall in Wyomissing, PA (Reading). The same mall where I played DL and Spacey as a kid. It is truly a dream come true to have an arcade in a very nice mall where I played all the classics before they were classic:). The initial response to the arcade has been overwhelmingly positive. I am hoping the response continues as more people are aware of our opening.

Well guess what laserdisc fans? (Suspense...)The laser games are back in town!!! I am proud to offer DL (hooked up to our 57" Hitachi of course - thanks Steven H.), Space Ace, dedicated Super Don (yes, I said dedicated), and a painful decision to operate my nearly NOS DL II. Of course these games are mixed with new games like Police Trainer 2 and Need for Speed. There are classics Like Pac Man, Tempest, DK, Asteriods, etc. We also have EMs, pinballs, billards, shuffle alley and so forth. I could go on about it all day but I think my new buddy Chuck Whitby, founder of East Coast Gaming Expo sums up our opening up the best. You can read all about it on his site:

http://www.ecgx.com

Be sure to visit ECGX in September. After you have had your fill of gaming plesentries there, be sure to visit the Berkshire Mall which is just a couple of minutes from the Inn at Reading. Please stop in an say hi. Be sure the mention that you read this on the DLP. We have a lot of surprises in the future. You just will not see this mixture in other arcades (no one else is crazy enough to operate this stuff:). A sneak preview of what is to come includes a custom-built coin-op, big screen supergun system, Sonic Japan prototype, and more laser titles of course.

Thanks for Reading.

J. P. LeVan
Owner, Challenge Arcades

That Super Don is Super Don Quixote... what is the Sonic Japan prototype?!

Needless to say, I will be at ECGX now and anyone in the PA, MD, DE area should try to attend. A friend of mine is hoping to set up four player DOOM3 with some high end PCs at a table at the Expo too. He's also considering an auction of his Armor Attack arcade unit and a Vectrex.

It just gets better and better. Time to make a trip home for the weekend Fenegi. :)

Dave Long

Banned
Just an FYI for the Killer Instinct fans. There's a KI2 machine there too. Played more Samurai Shodown V tonight. What a superb playing game.

Top Bottom