• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer article on GTA: SA's Country Grammar

andthebeatgoeson

Not sure if this has been posted (and I did search for everything from san andreas to game informer) but Sept 04 Game Informer has some new details and pictures:

10 pics all of the countryside including:
-one showing a log cabin with what appears to be carl on a motorcycle
-pickup truck on a dirt road with some fog but appearantly nothing but a huge open expanse.
-carl running in some open field but sunlight blurs out any detail. But the impression is that the field is huge with a lot of open area
-a shot of a truck being chased by 2 guys on a motor bike...the guy on the back is aiming an uzi at the truck
-small town with one character in a cowboy hat. pickup trucks on the street
-One pic showing a monster pickup crusing down a hill, offroad, toward a stream or something. Bridges overhead.
-Small time cops still have access to helicopters if you act up too much. One shot shows Carl running away in a small time being chased by helicopter

The writeup is just a page, solely on the country side of things:
-They start about how they underestimated the size of the non-urban landscape, originally guessing it'll just be a bunch of freeways
-Then they go on about how there are actually 15 cities, well actually 12 small towns and the big 3. They talk about a mountian tourist town, called Angel Pines with bait shops and one-story bungalows. Another is call Dillimore, a 'depressed working class burg' full of unemployed yokels and cowboy wearing police.
-They go on about the different off-road vehicles and even mention a winged Dodo. Since it takes '15 minutes' by car to cross the rural area, the Dodo, along with helicopters can be used to cross it faster or check out the scenery.
-'Each city will have an airport' to take a plane or helicopter.
-Finally, as promised, missions will be tailored to the countryside. They talk about that huge mountain mentioned in other articles, how you have to take out an 'informant' in a mountain cabin and flee down the mountain trails during your getaway.
-Actually, now finally, from a PR director at Rockstar:
"The misconception out htere right now is that this is just a gang-banging game or this is just a hip-hop game. Hopefully, what we've shown people is that it's more than that; it's more diverse."

To wrap up: I'm a lil more comforted that the rural areas won't be tacked on. I'm not sure if any other source has looked into it, but I thought it was gonna be maybe one road with not too much in between and a linear setup. If there are 12 small towns, it can get confusing fast. Who knows how it'll be setup but you may get in the middle of it and say to yourself, 'Do I take a left or a right to get back to Vegas?' Luckily, planes and helicopters will be readily available so you can skip over some stuff. They need a way to just check into the airport if you want to bypass the traveling (ala Wind Waker).

I'm also hoping this isn't a 'oh look, there were 12 islands in Wind Waker' kind of deal. I hope that even though there will be 12 towns, each has some bulk and significance to them. You know, a few blocks worth. Anything else and I might think I was playing an RPG.

I'll delete if already posted.

calder

As someone who loved Smugglers Run to the nth degree, this all sounds SO FUCKING GOOD. I can easily imagine loving the rural missions more than the main city ones. God I want this game so bad.

Ranger X

Do you guys fucking see 12 towns in there? I say "it's good PR" and that's all.
But the game is huge nonetheless. I mean, look at the map god damned, this is at the very least 2 times as huge as VC...

fakemap.jpg

(i know this is not a confirmed map but... don't get me wrong, we all know it's going to be this map...)

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
"The misconception out htere right now is that this is just a gang-banging game or this is just a hip-hop game. Hopefully, what we've shown people is that it's more than that; it's more diverse."
Well, they've failed in my opinion, even though I know they're correct about the game being more than either of those.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Wyzdom said:
Do you guys fucking see 12 towns in there? I say "it's good PR" and that's all.
But the game is huge nonetheless. I mean, look at the map god damned, this is at the very least 2 times as huge as VC...

fakemap.jpg

(i know this is not a confirmed map but... don't get me wrong, we all know it's going to be this map...)

I see 12 small community sized portions that could be classed as towns:

fakemapedit.jpg

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
15 minutes on the freeway to cross the rural area?

Hope thats more fun than it sounds :-/

Dont think i ever just drove for 5 minutes in GTA3 or VC let alone 15.

Can i pay to get on a commercial plane and skip it? or something like that..

"Can i pay to get on a commercial plane and skip it? or something like that.."

They've brought back the quick transportation options from GTA3. So yah if you don't want to drive all the way there you can get on a train.

Fowler

Wait, where's that map from? Did someone make it up? Because it can't be right... it matches the map PSM2 (or whatever that UK mag is called) sketched out, but that doesn't make any sense because Hanky Panky Point (next to the 9 or Palomino Creek) is said to look out towards Las Venturras. There's a pic of it on the website.

Matlock

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"Can i pay to get on a commercial plane and skip it? or something like that.."

They've brought back the quick transportation options from GTA3. So yah if you don't want to drive all the way there you can get on a train.

The train was awfully damn slow, if you ask me. It's a lot faster driving into the subway tunnel and gunning it in the small car of your choice.

Top Bottom