• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Scores -- August

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Didn't see these anywhere...

SC: Pandora Tomorrow (PS2/GC) 8.75 / 9
Driv3r (PS2/Xbox) 6 / 5.5
Showdown: Legends of Wrestling (PS2/Xbox) 6 / 4.5
Combat Elite (PS2/Xbox) 3.5
Trivial Pursuit Unhinged (PS2/Xbox) 5
MTV Music Generator 3 (PS2/Xbox) 8
Spider-Man 2 (Multi) 8 / 8.25
Star Ocean (PS2) 8.25 / 8.25
Echo Night (PS2) 6 / 5.5
Crimson Tears (PS2) 5 / 5.25
McFarlane's Evil Prophecy (PS2) 4 / 4.25
Athens 2004 (PS2) 6 / 6.5
Karaoke Revolution Volume 2 (PS2) 8.25 / 7.5
Puyo Pop Fever (GC) 7.25 / 7.5
Pikmin 2 (GC) 8.75 / 8.75 GOTM
Malice (Xbox) 5.5 / 4
Indy Car Series 2..5 (Xbox) 6.5 / 6.5
Shadow Ops (Xbox) 5.75 / 6.25
Joint Operations (PC) 8.5 / 8 PCGOTM
Ground Control II (PC) 8.5 / 8.75
Singles: Flirt Up Your Life (PC) 7 / 7
Soldiers: Heroes of WWII (PC) 5 / 4
Besieger (PC) 6 / 7
Warlords Battlecry III (PC) 7.75 / 7
Sabre Wulf (GBA) 6.5
Duel Masters: Sempai Legends (GBA) 7.5
Spider-Man 2 (GBA) 7
Astro Boy: Omega Facort (GBA) 8.5 / 8.5 WOOT!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
"McFarlane's Evil Prophecy (PS2) 4 / 4.25"

in the house!!! suck it down haters

SyNapSe

JC10001 said:
How did Pikmin 2 get GOTM if SC:pT outscored it?

I guess because it's new and more exciting. Maybe the person who decides GOTM isn't the same person who gave scores for those games.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SC: Pandora Tomorrow (PS2/GC) 8.75 / 9

I don't understand how both versions could recieve the same grade. Without multiplayer, the game loses a lot of value...

IJoel

dark10x said:
I don't understand how both versions could recieve the same grade. Without multiplayer, the game loses a lot of value...

This is GI, where mediocrity and inconsistency reigns supreme in their reviews.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
dark10x said:

Does the PS2 version have an offline multiplayer mode? Because if not they may have chosen to keep both the scores the same because for 95% of the people who buy the PS2 version they won't be able to play multiplayer either. I'm not saying that's right but who knows. I myself am still trying to figure out how it didn't get GOTM.

dark10x

JC10001 said:
Does the PS2 version have an offline multiplayer mode? Because if not they may have chosen to keep both the scores the same because for 95% of the people who buy the PS2 version they won't be able to play multiplayer either. I'm not saying that's right but who knows. I myself am still trying to figure out how it didn't get GOTM.

...then the overall score should have been lower because the single player game simply can't carry the title.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Actually, they went with overall scores but they talk a lot about the GC version and it's flaws. Why they didn't do a whole separate review I'm not sure, but if you were to read it you would have your questions answered. I'd actually say that GI has improved itself 10x over the last couple of months in their content and reviews, and I very much hated their tripe for a long time.

Further, I think that's why they also gave Pikmin GOTM. The review is glowing, and it's a new game where SC though they praise it immensely, is a port.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
"It is important to note that the GOTM is determined by the main review score, not an average of the two opinions".

New title wins tie, as it should :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sonycowboy said:
A good score, but from the buzz I've been hearing, I was expecting better (?).

My most wanted game of August.

Good review score. Believe me it's full of praise. Much like Tales.....boring cliche story, fantastic fantastic battle engine. Also, some of the worst sound/music in an RPG (in their opinion).

JC10001 said:

95% won't be able to play online? BS. Seems a more than a tad high. Maybe 50% of people won't be able to play online, but I'd say the target audience of this game are just as likely to be online as not. It's part of the major draw of the game.

AeroGod

Soldiers: Heroes of WWII (PC) 5 / 4

GI sucks, and this score proves it. Soldiers is one of the most intense and realistic Strategy RTS games to come out in years. Yes, it has bag lag at some times but thats hardly worth a 4 or even a 5.

What did they say about it?

dark10x

Also, some of the worst sound/music in an RPG (in their opinion).

WHAT?!#?#!@#@*(Y

That's it, I will never ever trust another word from GI. The soundtrack in SO3 is better than 80-90% of the RPGs released this gen. If they don't like the VA, that's fine...but the music?!?!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
AeroGod said:
GI sucks, and this score proves it. Soldiers is one of the most intense and realistic Strategy RTS games to come out in years. Yes, it has bag lag at some times but thats hardly worth a 4 or even a 5.

What did they say about it?

"As much as backwards control, lack of documentation...and spotty stealth bring Soldiers down, it's the sheer tedium that prevents any enjoyment of the cool features it offers."

-Accurate, but painfully boring
-excellent graphics and environments combined with vast stretches of boredom
-labored and monotonous
-everything you do is a counterintuitive, frustrating chore

I think that gives the gist of their take.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
dark10x said:
WHAT?!#?#!@#@*(Y

That's it, I will never ever trust another word from GI. The soundtrack in SO3 is better than 80-90% of the RPGs released this gen. If they don't like the VA, that's fine...but the music?!?!

"So bad I'd rather listen to Kenny G. Well, maybe not Kenny G...but you get the point."

"Square-Enix RPGs have always been heralded for their soundtracks as well. I'm afraid this one won't receive similar acclaim. With generic Joe Satriani-style licks that could in fact inflict physical damage on the brain, this is easily the worst RPG score I've heard."

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
95% won't be able to play online? BS. Seems a more than a tad high. Maybe 50% of people won't be able to play online, but I'd say the target audience of this game are just as likely to be online as not. It's part of the major draw of the game.
True, in the US it's only around 90% of the PS2 userbase that's offline. Worldwide though, that number jumps slightly higher than 95%.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
JC10001 said:
How did Pikmin 2 get GOTM if SC:pT outscored it?

money_bag.jpg

Musashi Wins! said:
Actually, they went with overall scores but they talk a lot about the GC version and it's flaws. Why they didn't do a whole separate review I'm not sure, but if you were to read it you would have your questions answered.

What are the flaws of the gc version?

dark10x

jarrod said:
True, in the US it's only around 90% of the PS2 userbase that's offline. Worldwide though, that number jumps slightly higher than 95%.

Err, that doesn't mean that 90% of the users won't be playing online. It isn't as if 100% of the user base will be buying the game, afterall. The online play is a big draw and is likely a major reason why people would be purchasing the game. So, of the people buying the game, many of those customers will be playing online. How many exactly? I can not say...

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Err, that doesn't mean that 90% of the users won't be playing online. It isn't as if 100% of the user base will be buying the game, afterall. The online play is a big draw and is likely a major reason why people would be purchasing the game. So, of the people buying the game, many of those customers will be playing online. How many exactly? I can not say...
I understand that, I'm just giving the overall numbers. 90% of the potential US Pandora Tomorrow buyers on PS2 won't be able to play online as is, that's all.

Top Bottom