• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameCube Hardware sold at a loss

LakeEarth

BuddyChrist83 said:
That I wasn't aware of. I think there was at least one other N64 title with loading times, but I can't think of it right now. Was that the only SNES game with loading times?

Shadowman, baby!

aoi tsuki said:
i'm assuming this 30-70% reduction is on a bit-for-bit basis, as opposed to the cost of the "average" cartridge size, which falls would make sense. A likely reason that Nintendo was able to get so many developers on an unconventional piece of hardware.
Nope. I'm not sure what the "average" size of a new GBA release is today, but for now let me say 16, since I'm sure it's not above that yet. If the base DS cart is 1 gigabit = 128 megabytes, the DS cart would hold 8 times as much data. If the cost was only 30-70% less bit-for-bit, then this DS cart would actually cost 2.4 to 5.6 times as much as the 16 MB GBA cart. No publisher would be very interested in that. All reports indicate that a DS cart with a much greater capacity will cost publishers less than a GBA cart. It's just newer and better technology at work.

GDGF

Soothsayer
jarrod said:
Yep... a fairer comparison would be listing the minimum cart sizes...

GBA~ 4MB (32Mbit)
NDS~ 128MB (1Gbit)

...it's known that an 8MB GBA cart costs 3rd parties around $4-$5... so DS cards could range anywhere between $1-$3. That puts them in PSP UMD territory cost wise, or slightly less even. :)

Thats incredible! It sure is a huge turn of event's from the N64/PS1 days when Nintendo had the most expensive format. No wonder there has been so much interest for the NDS (besides the innovative imput features, of course)

It's good to know the NDS won't be brought down by a (more) expensive format. If this holds true (and it seems like it does) it has the cheaper format of the two handhelds.
Not to mention what will surely be the cheaper production costs, too.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Li Mu Bai said:
20 billion yen=$178,881,854.83 USD correct at the current exchange rates? Yet Nintendo will still post projected operating profits at $625 million USD for this fiscal year. (As they are currently on track) Impressive to say the very least.

Are we choosing to overlook this?

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Link316 said:
retailers have price protection for price drops, when Nintendo lowered the $150 GC to $100 it came out of their pockets and not the retailer's, Nintendo took a big hit because they had to reimburse retailers $50 for every unsold $150 GC they had in stock

Really?

Then why were pissing and moaning about retailers having to eat the losses on that? Either they didn't know what they were talking about, were trying to be anti-Nintendo or maybe only some of the retailers got this price protection???

MoxManiac said:
128MB is pretty pathetic compared to UMD's 1.5GB.
Which is pathetic compared to Blu-Ray's 27 GB. It's all about context. If the DS is essentially ~N64/PS1-level technology, with a base cart size twice what any N64 game used, and greater than what most PS1 games used (FMV aside), at cheaper than current GBA costs... it seems pretty decent. Also the durability/loading/power advantages.
DrGAKMAN said:
Really?

Then why were pissing and moaning about retailers having to eat the losses on that? Either they didn't know what they were talking about, were trying to be anti-Nintendo or maybe only some of the retailers got this price protection???
Can you give a source for this pissing and moaning?

cvxfreak

JoshuaJSlone said:
Which is pathetic compared to Blu-Ray's 27 GB. It's all about context. If the DS is essentially ~N64/PS1-level technology, with a base cart size twice what any N64 game used, and greater than what most PS1 games used (FMV aside), at cheaper than current GBA costs... it seems pretty decent. Also the durability/loading/power advantages.

Well said.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Can you give a source for this pissing and moaning?

Oh no, not in this thread, but I've heard it a while back when the price drop to $99. Didn't phase me so much from the net, but some dudes at GameStop (employee's) were saying how Nintendo were assholes for lowering the cost and having them eat the costs. I guess it's just cool to put down Nintendo?

Alcibiades

DrGAKMAN said:
Oh no, not in this thread, but I've heard it a while back when the price drop to $99. Didn't phase me so much from the net, but some dudes at GameStop (employee's) were saying how Nintendo were assholes for lowering the cost and having them eat the costs. I guess it's just cool to put down Nintendo?

yeah, only independent shops might fall under this, other than that, any major retailer is price-protected, my guess is those guys were idiots...

Top Bottom