• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameloft's Asphalt series started as a Montreal's Speed Devils port to Java ME

stranno

HNdy0yS.gif

3410 version (2002)

The original series of Asphalt for Java ME look more like a Titus' Lamborghini Challenge clone series. But it turns out that it started as a Ubisoft Montreal Speed Devils port!

2 Game modes , Arcade and Career Stunning visual effects, tunnel, explosion, and much more...
4 tracks with unique layout and scenery, from the beach of Miami to the hill of Hollywood
From the Dreamcast ® blockbuster Speed Devils-Online Racing ®

Speed Devils was released in 2002 and it was the first racing game ever from Gameloft. Back then they developed mainly for the Nokia 3410 - Siemens M50 (B&W) and Nokia 3510i (colour), 96x65 screens.

5Gqpqf2.gif

S60 version (2004)

I have played both the 2002 Nokia 3510i version and the more modern 2003-2004 S60 series version (176x220) and Speed Devils its pretty much Asphalt GT (aka Asphalt 1): It has the takedowns, the turbos, checkpoints, police chasing you, those good-old polygonal tunnels, bids and you can even destroy your enemies with missiles! Even the Gameloft Evolution official video counts Speed Devils as an Asphalt game.

Two years later Asphalt GT came out in Java ME, Nintendo DS and N-Gage in late-2004. Java ME had 2D and 3D versions.

Its amazing how fun the first Gameloft games were even with 96x65 resolution, 10 frames per second average framerate (it depends on the game, Speed Devils runs at 25FPS, but Rail Raider was locked 9FPS) and clunky buttons.

Last edited:
If it wasn't for the absolutely completely degenerate monetisation and car unlocking scheme, which made me abandon after 4 months of playing despite having completed all Asphalt since the 5th, Asphalt used to be great games.

Wonko_C

I forgot Asphalt was basically sprite-based Burnout. It was my go to game series for when I wasn't carrying my handheld with me.

I loved Asphalt 1 on the DS too, 3D racing at blistering 60fps on a portable was very impressive at the time.

They should do a traditional console-centric version, and limit monetization to cosmetics.

Fox Mulder

I really liked the Asphalt games a few years ago. They were gorgeous and fun quick arcade racing for mobile.

I don't even mind some grind, but they are to the Moon with it. Shit like $60 individual cars and horrible progression walls

Top Bottom