• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers help thwart far-right extremist's plan to assassinate French President Macron

http://www.craveonline.com/entertai...prevent-emmanuel-macron-assassination-attempt

A 23-year-old man has been arrested as part of an investigation into a planned assassination attempt of Macron, which was planned to take place on July 14 during a parade on the Champs-Élysées in Paris. The parade was set to host guest of honor President Trump, with the suspect wanting to use the parade to also attack ”blacks, Arabs, Jews and homosexuals," according to a French police report obtained by BFMTV (via CNN).

A self-described far right nationalist, the suspect told police that he wanted to make a political statement by killing Macron, with them now investigating whether he was operating as part of a wider network. His plot was foiled by users of a popular unnamed video game website, with him sharing details of his plans with them that were then collected and passed on to the authorities. Among the evidence shared by the users was a comment in which the suspect described buying a Kalashnikov assault rifle to commit an attack.

The man was indicted with terrorism offenses on Saturday (July 1), with French police sharing details of the arrest earlier today. Anti-terrorism police arrived at the suspect's house in the suburb of Argenteuil, with him threatening them with a knife before they apprehended him. He now faces a three-year prison sentence for condoning terrorism and spreading racist hate.

http://www.newsweek.com/macron-trump-right-wing-extremism-man-charged-over-plot-assassinate-631184

After his arrest, police found at least two more knives in his car, along with a list of potential targets on his computer.

The suspect had previous convictions for terrorism-related offenses. In 2016, he was reportedly convicted of glorifying terrorism (”apologie du terrorisme") and ”spreading racist hate," after he expressed support for neo-Nazi Anders Breivik's attack in Norway, July 2011. Breivik, a far-right extremist, killed 77 people, including many children, in a bomb in Oslo and gun attack on a nearby island. Last year, French authorities sentenced the man to a three-year prison sentence, 18 months of which were suspended.

Call me mentally unstable if old

Hypron

If I were to guess it probably happened on jeuxvideo.com . The forums on that site can be a real shithole.

Also, I'm triggered at trump attending Bastille day. If he were alive back then he'd be the exact kind of guy to get his head chopped off.

ed123bc303ac5e2c066879d40e0b16287f8e6164bdf1054fea28f22a87cbad39.jpg

Read, dear:
Yes but the first link also says
The man was indicted with terrorism offenses on Saturday (July 1), with French police sharing details of the arrest earlier today. Anti-terrorism police arrived at the suspect’s house in the suburb of Argenteuil, with him threatening them with a knife before they apprehended him. He now faces a three-year prison sentence for condoning terrorism and spreading racist hate.]
Could be referring to his prior conviction but it's very poorly worded if so.

Ogodei

If I were to guess it probably happened on jeuxvideo.com . The forums on that site can be a real shithole.

Also, I'm triggered at trump attending Bastille day. If he were alive back then he'd be the exact kind of guy to get his head chopped off.

This is Macron, whom Trump endorsed his opponent and who humiliated Trump at the NATO meeting.

Something good will come of this meeting, i'm sure.

This is Macron, whom Trump endorsed his opponent and who humiliated Trump at the NATO meeting.

Something good will come of this meeting, i'm sure.

Yeah Macron will troll the hell out of him in front of cameras like he did with Putin a few weeks ago.

bionic77

Its so weird how little reaction white extremists get for terrorism.

Great news that they caught him before he could harm anyone.

Binabik15

"Blacks, Arabs, Jews and homosexuals"

I bet 10€ he thought that the only good "foreigner" is a dead foreigner. Or a Russian. Russia is our friend, yo. Time to wage holy war on those filthy terrorist muslins, blow them all up. That'll show 'em!

Good grief, all this alt-right irony of being terrorists that love Russia and worship cowards acting like strongmen is making me cringe so hard. We need to push back as free, open societies until those trolls go back into hiding instead of getting their shitstain candidates elected.

At this point every far right asshole I see on the internet I'll asume they are also gamers because Jesus fucking Christ does this hobby attract the vilest assholes in politics.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

My bets are on it's jeuxvideo too. It was found out last year a bit after the big terrorist attack in France last summer that the plans for the attack were stated by someone on those boards a month or so in advance.

Hypron

Is jv.com the one that GAF guy blimblim or whoever owns?

Nah, he owns gamersyde. jv.com is the biggest French website about videogames. Its discussion forums aren't really much different from the_donald and have been the source of many despicable things over the years. This guy isn't the first person to get arrested for posting threats on that website.

Top Bottom