• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gametrailers Thread: Good Night and Good Game

wapplew

I'm just glad that it didn't get sorted out right after Elyse left only to have him laid off again with the rest of us.

Please try to get Damiani & Ryan back if you guys start a new gig together!
A weekly long range podcast with google hangout will do. Just want to listen to all jolly GT crew talk about games.

UrbanRats

Please try to get Damiani & Ryan back if you guys start a new gig together!
A weekly long range podcast with google hangout will do. Just want to listen to all jolly GT crew talk about games.

That would be the dream.

By the way what happened to John Michael in all this? I know he was only working at GT in critical moments, but he seemed more involved with GT than just a random producer, when he was talking about it on the RE4 stream.

That would be the dream.

By the way what happened to John Michael in all this? I know he was only working at GT in critical moments, but he seemed more involved with GT than just a random producer, when he was talking about it on the RE4 stream.

He's definitely a cool guy, but not a part of GT in any official way. He pretty much just fills in whenever Defy needs an extra producer, whether someone's on vacation or there's extra work like E3.

Bittercup

Where can I get the GT avatar logo ? I want one :(
rsz_2059304-rsz_rise_g6xug.png

If anyone is able to, could someone GT up my avatar?

I'd really appreciate it <3
avi_zpsghdempnu2snzdq.png

You the man!

No problem. Feels good making you people happy and I can really use feeling good after this tragedy.

Seriously, I feel like NeoGAF and Bloodworth taking time to post on here (even during his honeymoon!) has really made this easier for me and I can only hope for the GT crew as well.

So thank You NeoGAF and Bloodworth!

btw I'm uploading the Resident Evil 2 (Leon B) stream now as I understood it from the other thread it was lost as well.

Edit: I don't want to clutter this thread, so I hope it's ok if I post when all the parts are finished. Should be up by tomorrow 07:00 CET (1 AM EST | 10 PM (Feb 11) PST)

sora87

No problem. Feels good making you people happy and I can really use feeling good after this tragedy.

Seriously, I feel like NeoGAF and Bloodworth taking time to post on here (even during his honeymoon!) has really made this easier for me and I can only hope for the GT crew as well.

So thank You NeoGAF and Bloodworth!

btw I'm uploading the Resident Evil 2 (Leon B) stream now as I understood it from the other thread it was lost as well.

tumblr_mxre7hEX4h1sc1kfto1_500.gif

Yayyyyyyyyy

tok9

Wavering Radiant you are honestly amazing. You just keep pulling out all the stops with these lost streams.

Do you have Shenmue 1 :)

Nice I'll get these on YouTube tonight!

Edit: Its done
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4qsOm_FvoZHcJq2ePjlXTDUkCEuae1Dz

Edit: I don't want to clutter this thread, so I hope it's ok if I post when all the parts are finished. Should be up by tomorrow 07:00 CET (1 AM EST | 10 PM (Feb 11) PST)

Cool, I hope you don't mind me uploading these to youtube for you. I'm mostly doing it for me so I can watch these lost streams finally on my ipad or chromecast. But also to make it easier for people to see them.

In other news Its so great to come home to a brand new Huber stream!! Love it

Dammit, forgot to turn off my scheduled shutdown on my computer so it only uploaded the first 5 parts of the RE2-LB stream. I'll just post them here now and edit the remaining 4 later in.

01 - https://mega.nz/#!SZkGCZpK!Ir17e-OfzEBNS2wm1JHmLjT8x_aIJwg8A7R0nVQugp4
02 - https://mega.nz/#!rEMwVCiT!v5EhPuh71SAVVDnpDe-NRKdMRkQD8tRNASgoIBBuNq8
03 - https://mega.nz/#!fBVAlaab!5aykLKzxdNp6uQUm4Q59CiyO_zZZP_ICpeJYbsapbhw
04 - https://mega.nz/#!PElnSaoT!yajpjz9f3ZaI3rJn0ywiFmxLZ1ljcjudmYdk1-gwcyI
05 - https://mega.nz/#!mJNSzJ6C!jHtp6b34VMGT9aj0W5SuMvHdaUfKihyi1qfpcb7kxNE
06 - https://mega.nz/#!PcMTHQJL!-2UnPqB-VcK6bd-xS6yrzVHoXdkGh1iSWhbqUVOSTKw
07 - https://mega.nz/#!iJ0EiKCC!x892Ny3te4_EX1_pyRIWlRwXR86-b1k2E9TURrAPdz8
08 - https://mega.nz/#!PE8g3YYL!zM4aqNalSI-lWu4kxTrcfghklgfXMiO3nruUxkeWrYA
09 - https://mega.nz/#!TYkA0RDZ!YCQMKXYOLFxRAjN9F0XFMo7v0RvjWYwjujQLhQRtiAw

edit: All parts are up and off to work I go!

Cool, I hope you don't mind me uploading these to youtube for you. I'm mostly doing it for me so I can watch these lost streams finally on my ipad or chromecast. But also to make it easier for people to see them. [snip]

Don't mind at all, the more people can watch it (easy and comfortably), the better :)

Coming off a month ban and in the middle of my vacation in Thailand, but I need to day something.
I'm so crushed GTs gone. I just can't believe it. I honestly cried when Brandon made that tweet.
There's not really much to say that hasn't been said already other than Thank You.
I've enjoyed GT for years, but this past year and a half you guys just blew away everybody in the industry.
The passion and honesty was palpable.

Ben Moore is probably the best reviewer working today and Brad and Huber are two of the most passionate gamers in an industry of jaded jerks.

I hope at least some of you guys come together for a future project, even if it was just streaming. Gonna miss those a lot.

Thank You GTteam.

Burt

Alright

I haven’t posted in either of the GT threads since things went down because it’s sucked so much I couldn’t bring myself to (outside of a joke post after three people in a row posted about Huber streaming in the other thread because jollyness), which means I’m a bit late to the party here, so forgive me if this sounds outdated, repeated or ranty.

Truthfully, I don’t feel all that sad about seeing ‘Gametrailers’ go. Like everyone else, I went to it a lot back in the day, and like a lot of other people, I faded away as the Internet changed. Even though it sucked seeing them get done in like that (particularly Brandon and with Blood on his fucking honeymoon *bottles anger for later*), the closing of the company itself wasn’t especially heartbreaking for one reason: I’m supremely confident in the prediction that all of the people involved are going to be moving on to bigger and better things (because how could they not after fucking Defy *bottles anger for later*). It’s a longshot for everyone to be able to stick together in whatever comes next, but I wouldn’t be surprised if a year from now I saw a tweet of Jones kicking ass in one of the toys-to-life studios or if I see a movie or TV show with at least a writing credit to Ian, or a news article about Don Casanova, International Man of Mystery. The point being, with the way the crew was treated over the last few months (*whips out nearly-full anger bottle*), this felt more like a graduation than a goodbye. And yeah, graduations are a little sad and a lot scary, but they open the door for talented people to move on to great things, and the GT crew, if nothing else, has an incredible wealth of talent.

After the aforementioned ‘fade away’ from GT, I didn’t get back to it until Bosman’s big pre-Sony conference video, but even then, TFB was the only show of theirs I really watched until E3 2015. I wasn’t super familiar with Twitch at the time and was just looking for any sort of coverage. The sole reason I’ve watched any of their videos beyond TFB, seen the vast majority of their Twitch streams, and am posting here in this thread now is because at that moment in which I was looking for live E3 coverage they existed in the slim ambiguity between “I know that outlet” and “I know that outlet is basically an extension of corporate PR”. So I clicked.

I’m pretty sure I was there for all of their E3 stuff, but the first thing I can pinpoint is the interview with the Larian guys and everyone floundering around because clearly none of them had played Divinity: Original Sin. It was my obvious GOTY at the time, and I remember thinking that I had seen enough of Bosman by then to know exactly what he would like about that game: goofy talking animals. So I ventured into Twitch chat for the first time ever to ask Larian a question about Animal Persuasion or whatever it’s called, and we got an interesting, hilarious conversation about the intricacies of implementing genius rats from one of my newfound favorite devs. And then I was hooked.

That sort of organic interaction sprouting into an entertaining, enthusiastic, and above all, genuine conversation is what instantly turned me into a huge fan, and those… I dunno, ‘principles’ is a strong word.. those ‘guidelines’ were never compromised in all my time as a viewer. It’s not enough to say that the GT crew cared. Everyone in their field cares. You don’t have a job as a game journalist in 2016 if you don’t care. But there are scant few people out there, let alone entire outlets, that care more about being absolutely, unflinchingly true to themselves over pandering to some trending audience.

You feel that shit nearly everywhere any more, like some shiny Unreal Engine 3 vaseline smear, people acting like a B-tier sports radio host pretending to be old pals with every single caller. Even the legitimately great critics and journalists are out there alternating between real work and clickbait, bending their content to meet the demands of an audience segment that I would imagine is made up of the same type of people that go on Bioware forums to shout about how the most important thing is that they can fuck anyone and everyone. The aliens. All of them.

From the first Final Bosman through the hundreds of videos and streams (both scripted and not) to the final hug, I never got one ounce of anything but authenticity and electricity from everyone at Gametrailers, and that’s what made them so amazing. They were pure enthusiasm, pure chemistry, pure jolly. They were, and still are, the best at they aimed to do: creating interesting, insightful, and passionate dialogue around videogames. They really were the (insert bad Last of Us switcheroo here).

Which is why instead of making me sad, the closure of Gametrailers made me fucking furious. Livid. Filled to the brim with disbelieving rage.

Okay, that’s probably a little strong, but yeah, right at that moment, the biggest ‘R’ I felt was “Rage”.

(HUBER SIDE-CHALLENGE: WHAT’S THAT PARAPHRASED FROM?)

Why? Because Defy found the golden ticket, and set that shit on fire. Someone in one of these GT threads posted an old Reddit comment from an ex-GT employee who saw the writing on the wall with how the corporate side of things was going. To paraphrase that comment: “Executives would cut the budget in half and send notes back saying ‘Do better’”. That feeling has been nearly omnipresent since that first Bosman PSX video I watched, from irregularities in programming schedule to lag in getting stuff on YT to the website itself to the office moves later on. Defy was saying, “Here’s much less, do much more.” And that’s well beyond unreasonable. Shit, that’s pretty much impossible.

Unless, you know, you hit the lottery and spontaneously create a viral, iconic industry-wide image of happiness and enthusiasm recognized by both consumers and creators across the world.

Defy’s reaction?

“Congratulations! We got you a present!”

*It’s a wall smudge*

*and a much smaller studio*

*and the fear of impending doom*

20 seconds on YouTube and I find a whole bunch of GT videos with 1 million views, 500,000 views, 250,000 views, and more. The problem? None of them are on GT channels. They’re on channels with <1000 subscribers, most have far less than 500. What is that? What is Defy there for if not to play serious business to their properties’ consumer-facing entertainment. Their failure to read the giant flashing neon signs about GT’s potential audience is an absolute indictment of their organization. Sony recognized it, Keighley recognized it, hell, if the last few days are anything to go by much of the industry and a solid audience core recognized it, but it’s apparent now that Defy had them written off from day 1.

And that’s some rage-inducing dog rough gutter trash.

But there’s a bright side to things. These people are now free to grow. We, as an audience, have the drive and reason to directly support them. The authenticity and ingenuity that we know and love will only become stronger, and the GT crew’s relationship with its audience is almost guaranteed to improve via a more intimate relationship (whenever this next thing, which I’m assuming is a Patreon, goes live).

mother

fucking

tabletop adventures

all day erry day

But seriously. I know that a Patreon for 9 people in LA is well beyond reasonable hope, and that we’ve just seen the end of the era. It was a beautiful, glorious, and most of all jolly era that got me into videogame journalism, criticism, and (for lack of a better word) ‘community-ism’ in a way that I never even knew existed, let alone thought would be able to seize my interest and brighten my day the way that every single one of you did on a regular basis. Whatever all of you from the GT crew move onto, I wish you nothing but the best, because that’s what you are, and you deserve nothing less.

Never lose the jolly

Be true to yourselves.

Fuck nords.

rayman617

Neo Member
Apparently someone set up a web page dedicated to remembering the site. It's got a guestbook you can sign and everything. Centralized twitter feeds as well to keep up to date. They just added a '2' to the end of the url lol.

GameTrailers2.com

For once, I can see Brandon actually winning this week's bet. I agree completely with Bosman's point in Love and Respect. Fucking pissed myself at Ian's reaction to that Blair comment.

:(

RabbitNoir

Neo Member
Alright
The point being, with the way the crew was treated over the last few months (*whips out nearly-full anger bottle*), this felt more like a graduation than a goodbye. And yeah, graduations are a little sad and a lot scary, but they open the door for talented people to move on to great things, and the GT crew, if nothing else, has an incredible wealth of talent.

I feel the same way. It's also been incredible watching the community come together in such a big way. As someone said in chat earlier the conversation's turned from mourning Gametrailers to celebrating it.

Auctopus

The reaction to this still frustrates me.

Where were all these 'die-hard' fans when their 'favourite website' needed the views?

UrbanRats

The reaction to this still frustrates me.

Where were all these 'die-hard' fans when their 'favourite website' needed the views?
They were there.
Fans are just being loud is all.

Also, many in the gt thread, remembered various "eras" of gt, not all were fans of the post Shane era, for example.

I'm sorry but I'm afraid I don't know what a master post is.

I think he just wants you to make one post and add all of your videos to it so that he and others can bookmark it or something along those lines. Alternatively, we might be able to link to it from the first page so everyone can find it..

Will you create a masterpost soon so I can get all of the files in one place?

I think he just wants you to make one post and add all of your videos to it so that he and others can bookmark it or something along those lines. Alternatively, we might be able to link to it from the first page so everyone can find it..
Oh ok. Hope it's ok if I only link to my posts since I don't want to fill too much of this page with all the links.

Here ya go:
[Resident Evil 2 - Full Playthrough Friday]

[Resident Evil 3 Nemesis - Full Playthrough Friday]
edit: Also anyone let me know what/if I should upload anything next.

Pajama Party (not complete)
Shenmue II - The Dream is Real
Shenmue II - The Epic Conclusion
The Evil Within (+ 3 DLC streams)
ICO (Full Playthrough)
Shovel Knight (Full Playthrough)
Sky Odyssey
Super Mario Maker - Level Party
Yakuza 5

Roubjon

edit: Also anyone let me know what/if I should upload anything next.

Pajama Party (not complete)
Shenmue II - The Dream is Real
Shenmue II - The Epic Conclusion
The Evil Within (+ 3 DLC streams)
ICO (Full Playthrough)
Shovel Knight (Full Playthrough)
Sky Odyssey
Super Mario Maker - Level Party
Yakuza 5

Could you upload The Evil Within next? I've always heard a lot about that one lol.

Top Bottom