• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Garth Brooks' canceled Ireland tour could damage the country's economy and tourism

Status
Not open for further replies.
7mJOO6p.jpg

garth-o.gif

I have no idea who Garth Brooks is. Off to YouTube!

FYI, he's on some Prince shit where he doesn't want his stuff online. I discovered this when I was feeling nostalgic recently and all the versions on YouTube are heavily pitched or karaoke versions, or something. If you're interested, stick to live videos, like this one.

Popnbake

7mJOO6p.jpg

This has been the biggest news story in Ireland for about a week, but it seems like it's picking up some international attention now.

Nobody comes out of this looking well, but the whole situation is fucking hilarious.

He's like the country Metalocalypse.

Ah, had no idea it was in a residential area. Wow. That's like a rookie sim city mistake right there.

It's not unknown for stadiums to be in residential areas in Europe. The UK especially has heaps of football/rugby grounds in residential areas (and the Millennium Stadium is slap bang in the middle of the city centre in Cardiff(which is ace as you just walk out of it and have a choice of about 500 bars)).

So this Brooks was trying to blackmail elected officials into breaking their own rules just to let his ego strut up and down in front of thousands of paying fans and now that he's been turned down a few shows he's thrown a strop and willfully denied his thousands of fans a chance to see him? What an asshole.

Lothars

So this Brooks was trying to blackmail elected officials into breaking their own rules just to let his ego strut up and down in front of thousands of paying fans and now that he's been turned down a few shows he's thrown a strop and willfully denied his thousands of fans a chance to see him? What an asshole.
I think it's more the politicians are asshoes because that's really fucked up when they are blocking the concerts for rules that can be broken especially for something that is really popular.

Exceptions can be made.

Or elected officials declined to host 40% of an event that would have brought in a lot of money to their economy, and they have the balls to complain when their rigid, old fashioned ways screwed the whole thing up.

Hopefully the learn from their mistake next time, instead of just complaining.

Teggy

Brooks has rubbed me the wrong way ever since he whined about used CD sales putting a dent in his Scrooge McDuck piles of money. If he gave a crap about the fans he'd play the 3 shows.

rpmurphy

FYI, he's on some Prince shit where he doesn't want his stuff online. I discovered this when I was feeling nostalgic recently and all the versions on YouTube are heavily pitched or karaoke versions, or something. If you're interested, stick to live videos, like this one.
Yeah, and he's a real stickler on digital sales so he doesn't put any of his records up on digital music stores like iTunes. Such a pain.

I think it's more the politicians are asshoes because that's really fucked up when they are blocking the concerts for rules that can be broken especially for something that is really popular.

Exceptions can be made.
Yes, Brooks could have made the exception and do the 3 gigs for his fans. He didn't. He's an asshole.

Oppo

that's how I read it.

a real entertainer would have done whatever they could for the fans.

doesn't help my opinion of Brooks that he has a long history of super greedy moves like this

So Garth going on "World" Tour in 2014.
what does this exactly mean for EU?
is it only great britain again or does he also visit other european countries?

I couldn't find any dates for his euro tour. :(

side notes: The Beaches of Cheyenne is his best song. Sooo spooky for a country song. love it.
His duet with ultra right superstar american George Jones ("Beer Run") is godly too.

bill0527

that's how I read it.

a real entertainer would have done whatever they could for the fans.

doesn't help my opinion of Brooks that he has a long history of super greedy moves like this

Yep.

Signs exclusive distribution deals
Refuses to put his music online
Heavily campaigned with Metallica back in the 90s to ban used CD sales

This guy loves to bathe in his own money and he likes to do it in a new pile every night.

Zaptruder

Banned
Is it that difficult to reach a compensatory agreement with the local residents affected by these disruptions given the amount of money on line?

I'd say yes to disruptions for an extra couple nights to the tune of... $500-$1000. How many households could there be around that area? Even 1000 would only end up costing a million... and surely there's so much more riding on the line here than that.

PJV3

Jesus, if I lived in one of those houses by the stadium, and I had to listen to that shit for 5 days, I would end up strangling anybody in a cowboy hat.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
This is embarassing.

I mean the whole fallout from it. Get Obama on the phone! The Taoiseach! The Mexican ambassador! Anyone!

It's like something out of Father Ted.

No, Ireland's economy does not need these concerts. For crying out loud. The street vendors - probably some among those pictured in the photo above - might be licking their chops at the thought of selling thousands of cowboy hats outside Croke Park, but that's not 'the economy'.

Brooks should do the 3 concerts he originally planned or just leave it.

Now if it was Madonna.... /pop-gaf

LOL.

Not even a fan but #teamGarth on this one.

If there's demand for 5...why can't he do 5?
If they can pull off 3...why can't they pull off more?

If it's an issue of infrastructure...etc...just charge the asshole to alleviate local government spending so he can throw the shows.

Its the locals. Theres a clause that you cant do more than 3 nights (I think) so as not to disturb the residents. In this example tho I think its a fucking disgrace, because a handful of residents objected, even tho they get financially compensated for the inconvenience, and get free fucking tickets they could've sold for a fortune.
So a handful of dopes have now cost us millions in revenue and ruined hundreds of thousands of fans plans

This is embarassing.

I mean the whole fallout from it. Get Obama on the phone! The Taoiseach! The Mexican ambassador! Anyone!

It's like something out of Father Ted.

No, Ireland's economy does not need these concerts. For crying out loud. The street vendors - probably some among those pictured in the photo above - might be licking their chops at the thought of selling thousands of cowboy hats outside Croke Park, but that's not 'the economy'.

Brooks should do the 3 concerts he originally planned or just leave it.

Now if it was Madonna.... /pop-gaf
This post is embarrassing.

Too bad out government doesn't have the balls to do the right thing for the country. The economy could use this boost. Yet again Ireland embarrasses us on a global scale.

Well done lads.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Brooks has rubbed me the wrong way ever since he whined about used CD sales putting a dent in his Scrooge McDuck piles of money. If he gave a crap about the fans he'd play the 3 shows.

I've seen Garth twice in concert and I love his music, but yeah I agree. He really should have just accepted the three shows and play by the same rules that everyone else has to. Really the only reason not to is simply: greed. Pure and simple. I can't think of any other reason to throw a hissy fit and cancel all of the shows.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've seen Garth twice in concert and I love his music, but yeah I agree. He really should have just accepted the three shows and play by the same rules that everyone else has to. Really the only reason not to is simply: greed. Pure and simple. I can't think of any other reason to throw a hissy fit and cancel all of the shows.

He's saying now that he needed the extra shows to turn a profit on these gigs.

I'm guessing, though, that in that calculation he was looking at the Irish gigs in isolation and not the pending world tour and the amortisation of certain costs that would come with it. So yeah, $$$ in his eyes methinks.

There's a hundred stadiums in the world better suited for this kind of thing and Garth could sell out all of them ten times over.

Should've dropped the sentimental value and went with one of those.

Herne

For everyone thinking the people who built the stadium are idiots, stop. The ground has been used since 1884 to host GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) sports games, as part of the Gaelic Revival. In 1913, it was recognised as the traditional home of the Gaelic games, and comprised of the pitch and two stands surrounded by grassy banks. In 1917 a hill was constructed which allowed people to have a good vantage point from which to view the games being played. Over time, it was built onto successively, with the intention of building a high capacity stadium. 5,000 seats were added in 1936, and then more as time went by.

The stadium has special significance not only as the home of the GAA but also the bitterly remembered Bloody Sunday, when police forces, supported by auxiliary troops, fired into the crowd and killed or otherwise injured spectators, as well as the captain of one of the teams playing.

It was modernised to an extent in the 80's, beginning a building project of expansion that spanned fourteen years, taking us to where we are now. Up until recently, only GAA sports were allowed to be played, but now it is host to international events such as rugby matches, the opening and closing ceremonies of the 2003 Special Olympics, and so on. If you're looking for an indication of what this stadium means to the nation, witness the 2007 rugby match between Ireland and England -

National Anthems, Croke Park, 2007

People laughing at the idea of building a stadium in a highly built-up residential area will hopefully understand it a little more.

As for me, I couldn't care less about Garth Brooks, but like everyone I was taken hugely by surprise at the massive numbers of tickets sold. I don't blame the residents living next to the stadium for not wanting 400,000 people converging on their homes for any longer than is necessary, especially when they have to deal with capacity crowds for GAA occasions like the All Ireland, international events and other concerts, and there is already an agreement in place to limit their number....

They were right to make the decision they did, but Ireland comes out of this looking pretty stupid.

A lot of big stadiums in Europe began as fields that gradually grew and grew. There are a lot in very Residential areas. Most, in fact.

I told people years ago that Garth Brooks would destroy the global economy, using his illuminati connections to first target a county like Ireland, and nobody listened. Nobody. Fucking. Listened. Now it's time to see who was right, and who's not having a Garth Brooks concert.

Tarkus

...and the thunder rolls. Seriously Garth Brooks' music is great and a loss for Ireland. I don't even like country music.

I hadn't even heard of this guy until my parents were talking about getting tickets to him and now he's all over the news here. When did this guy get so popular? The controversies that end up taking hold of this country are often pretty entertaining though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom