• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gay Rights Group Banned From Staten Island St. Patrick's Day Parade (VIDEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

r-ST-PATRICKS-DAY-PARADE-large570.jpg

Everyone loves a parade, but some don't get to march in them.

Organizers of the Staten Island St. Patrick's Day Parade allegedly refused to let members of the group Staten Island Pride march in the event.

At first, the group was told its members could march, as long as they didn't wear rainbow flags or other symbols of the gay rights movement.

When Staten Island Pride complained to City Council Speaker Christine Quinn, the group was flatly told it could not participate in the parade.

Quinn, Comptroller John Liu, Public Advocate Bill de Blasio, and Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer announced they would not march in the parade, in solidarity with Staten Island Pride.

One participant was hassled for wearing a "stamp-sized" pin in support of the gay rights group.

Video footage shows St. Jermaine Endeley, a member of the Young Democrats of Richmond County, walking with the pin on his jacket, when a parade organizer, Dennis McKeon, repeatedly tries to block his path.

"I told him this is America and that I have the right to wear whatever I want," Endeley said. "First, he grabbed my shirt and tried to rough me up. I tried to slap his hands away. Then he tried to rip my ribbon off, and I wouldn't let him do that."

From the New York Post:

McKeon insists the Young Democrats were trying to sneak gay people into the march and denies pushing Endeley.

"If they weren't gay, what were they doing marching with ribbons?" he said. "[The Young Democrats] chose to bring gays into the march with them. That went against the regulations of the parade."

Mayor Bloomberg also got a cold reception at a St. Patrick's Day parade this weekend. the Mayor was booed at the Rockaways St. Patrick's Day Parade, because of his plan to lay off 4,000 teachers and his previous comments about the "inebriated Irish." Bloomberg was also criticized for attending the Staten Island Parade, in light of its ban on gay rights garb.

Story Here

Video here

Is it just me or is that quote really just sad? 1. Why would it matter if they were gay or not. 2. "sneak" gays in? Is this like "No gays need apply"? Are the Irish like Iran in terms of "there are no homosexuals in" (the Irish)?

soultron

Banned
So are religious and sexuality designations banned from the parade or something?

I don't get why they're not allowed to fly their colours.

SolKane

You would think with their history of being discriminated against in the US, the Irish would be a little more sympathetic to another group being discriminated against.

"No Gays Need Apply" ?

Sounds like an unfortunate overreaction, but I'd need more details on how the pride group was approaching the event to form any hard and fast opinions on this. I fully expect to get some shit for this on GAF, and maybe it's having lived in San Francisco for many years, but I can sort of relate to the frustration caused by a certain subdivision of gays who feel the need to interject their homosexuality into every conceivable event known to man, even when it has no relation to their plight whatsoever. Sometimes you need to just let another group have their day in the sun without making a point of wearing your sexuality on your sleeve, literally and figuratively. Of course, that doesn't excuse any sort of violent physical or verbal responses like the ones described in the article. And as I said, I'd have to know more about the nature of this group's participation in the parade to come to any real conclusions. I'm just saying this isn't necessarily a black and white issue.

edit: The video footage looks pretty harmless. I doubt anyone is going to notice an itty bitty pin on a guy carrying a huge flag unless they're explicitly looking for it, which seems to be the case with the parade organizer trying to stop them.

But St. Patricks Day is next Thursday...

Also smh.

Edit: Seriously though, why are there parades so early in the US? I am sitting in Dublin right now confused out of my mind.

Milabrega

The Staten Island Tea Party group will be allowed to march! Even with those villainous Young Democrats trying to get them banned.

soultron said:
So are religious and sexuality designations banned from the parade or something?

I don't get why they're not allowed to fly their colours.

From the article above:

silive said:
"As long as they follow the rules, they can march," said Haynes.

Among those rules: No active politicking for individual candidates, including carrying signs or distributing campaign literature."

Though that won't stop groups from doing it, again from that article:

silive said:
"Groups marching in the parade are also prohibited from handing out anything when in the line of march because it slows down the parade.

The Tea Party learned that last year, when they caught flak for distributing booklet copies of the U.S. Constitution."

But of course these gays just marching would be pushing a political agenda, unlike those Tea Party folk:

silive said:
"Further complicating matters, said O’Brien, was that he’d been told some parade organizers don’t consider the Tea Party a political group.

O’Brien said the group members’ intention to take part in the upcoming GOP leadership fight proves they are a political group."

Staten Island was McCain district in '08.

I feel like one of those dirty Fox News defenders trying to bring up MSNBC false equivalencies with this post. Though the parade rules and Young Democrat involvement in the article I linked is somewhat related

SolKane said:
You would think with their history of being discriminated against in the US, the Irish would be a little more sympathetic to another group being discriminated against.

"No Gays Need Apply" ?

I can nearly guarantee it was more than likely an ''Irish American'', People living in Ireland are a lot more liberal than that.

SolKane

McKeeverFever said:
I can nearly guarantee it was more than likely an ''Irish American'', People living in Ireland are a lot more liberal than that.

oh I know these fat drunken clowns in no way represent Ireland. I'm just pointing out the irony of being ignorant of the struggles of their forebears. I'd hardly expect them to know much about Ireland, seeing as they know nothing about the USA...

soultron

Banned
So is this an issue of the YD marching or gay YD members marching? (Again, sorry for asking for clarification. I'm just at a loss of all this Tea Party/Young Democrats stuff going on in the story; I'm Canadian.)

If they dropped their political designations they should be allowed to march under the parade's rules.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Sounds like an unfortunate overreaction, but I'd need more details on how the pride group was approaching the event to form any hard and fast opinions on this. I fully expect to get some shit for this on GAF, and maybe it's having lived in San Francisco for many years, but I can sort of relate to the frustration caused by a certain subdivision of gays who feel the need to interject their homosexuality into every conceivable event known to man, even when it has no relation to their plight whatsoever. Sometimes you need to just let another group have their day in the sun without making a point of wearing your sexuality on your sleeve, literally and figuratively. Of course, that doesn't excuse any sort of violent physical or verbal responses like the ones described in the article. And as I said, I'd have to know more about the nature of this group's participation in the parade to come to any real conclusions. I'm just saying this isn't necessarily a black and white issue.

edit: The video footage looks pretty harmless. I doubt anyone is going to notice an itty bitty pin on a guy carrying a huge flag unless they're explicitly looking for it, which seems to be the case with the parade organizer trying to stop them.

Well said. There are key details missing here, though it's a shame how fast some will form knee-jerk reactions.

Good thing too. That poor crowd would have slid down the slippery slope to beastiality or incest had they seen the gays march openly.

GrotesqueBeauty said:

The fact that there are a small minority of flamboyantly gay men is no excuse to not let gays also march for rights in a parade. There's no good excuse at all.

What right's are gay people marching for? We know that it's a uncontrolled function/thought processed that is carried out by the brain. As we know more about the last frontier of the human body such choices can be made from birth to ensure development of these sections finish and remain complete based on parental needs. It will be a fundamental parental right in the near future. The right to be of the coming gay generations survival isn't there decision to make.

ZephyrFate said:
The fact that there are a small minority of flamboyantly gay men is no excuse to not let gays also march for rights in a parade. There's no good excuse at all.
I see. If I come across someone who says that it is I'll let them know.

Thetallywacker said:
What right's are gay people marching for? We know that it's a uncontrolled function/thought processed that is carried out by the brain. As we know more about the last frontier of the human body such choices can be made from birth to ensure development of these sections finish and remain complete based on parental needs. It will be a fundamental parental right in the near future. The right to be of the coming gay generations survival isn't there decision to make.
jcwat.gif

SmithnCo

Thetallywacker said:

What the

jambo

Thetallywacker said:

pYWc3.gif

Thetallywacker said:
What the hell is this?

jaxword

Thetallywacker said:

For a second, this reminded me of that evolution thread and the completely bizarre arguments being posted there.

Yoshiya

Thetallywacker said:
It amuses me that you exist.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
The Frankman said:
I live in Staten Island and that area if I recall is heavily Irish/Italian
and stupid

That is most of this Island though.

Hydranockz said:
But St. Patricks Day is next Thursday...

Also smh.

Edit: Seriously though, why are there parades so early in the US? I am sitting in Dublin right now confused out of my mind.

Most of the parades on the island are a week before. Memorial day parade they do a week before too. It is pretty sweat though since they give out free food.

Thetallywacker said:

Science. How does it work?

RobertM

Thetallywacker said:
Normally I'm the one who writes stuff like that, but man, you are sticking your dick into a hive.

To stay on topic, why would anyone try to represent a certain group besides being an Irish during St.Patrick's day parade?

Rorschach

Thetallywacker said:
A lot of people will quote this and you'll wonder why. You used "there" when you should have used "their."

RobertM said:
Normally I'm the one who write stuff like that, but man, you are sticking your dick into a hive.

To stay on topic, why would anyone try to represent a certain group besides being an Irish during St.Patrick's day?

Have you been to parades? Apparently not.

Angry Fork

Thetallywacker said:
swartzlaugh.gif

As for this topic, Staten Island has always been that place nobody cares about. I live in NYC and Staten Island is like ...just ...there. It's one of those things that'll always be there but nobody really knows anything about it or cares enough to visit/go there. The only noteworthy thing I can think of about it is the fact that Method Man is from there =/

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Thetallywacker said:
Ohohoho, yes! This is going to be a fantastic thread.

Yoshiya

Rorschach said:
A lot of people will quote this and you'll wonder why. You used "there" when you should have used "their."
"right's" is just as offensive. Really, the use of the possessive apostrophe isn't hard (or, you know, the past tense)

RobertM

krypt0nian said:
Have you been to parades? Apparently not.
Usually don't pay attention to what's going on but I do remember seeing clubs being represented and such, groups on the other hand, don't remember seeing.

RobertM said:
Usually don't pay attention to what's going on but I do remember seeing clubs being represented and such, groups on the other hand, don't remember seeing.

Churches, political candidates, groups, sports teams, anything under the sun having NOTHING to do with the parade's theme or main group.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Thetallywacker said:

ECm09.gif

RobertM said:
You really should pay attention more often.

Zabka

As a person born and raised on Staten Island I feel I should defend my home town.

But I won't. Fuck Staten Island and its homophobic, racist assholes.

Xater

Thetallywacker said:

I knew I would find some gold in this thread. This post is hilarious.

Thetallywacker said:

Wtf are you talking about and who are you talking to and what is this?

jay

Zabka said:
As a person born and raised on Staten Island I feel I should defend my home town.

But I won't. Fuck Staten Island and its homophobic, racist assholes.

Hey now, my parents are still there.

Fucking racist, homophobic assholes.

AzureJericho said:
This is why there are only 4 real boroughs in NYC... Shameful.

I thought SI became a real borough when they followed the city's lead of protesting the building of mosques

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Thetallywacker said:

There is always one of them. sadly

celebi23

Thetallywacker said:
2b4243429e2a3ee5e22c8b1c4b367d4e.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Thetallywacker said:

Quoting you like everyone else.

Also...

Notsureifserious.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom