• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban on gay veterans in Boston St Patrick's Day parade reinstated (Up: Reversed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
pencegiggle.png
Wrong pic

Glad all the state officials are opposed to this, pretty disgusting behavior on the organizers behalf

As a Boston resident this is definitely something our city should stand against

E: I will contact them as well, thanks for sharing the info

TyrantII

Totally, but what people often forget is that the same people prowling the streets of the various Boston boroughs looking for heads to kick in are now the 40-50-60-year-olds who delight in gumming up the works when it comes to these natural progresses. It was a bad scene for everyone, but 40 years later, the people who got played don't realize that they're still being played for buying into this shit. A continuation of pitting the disenfranchised against the disenfranchised for the sake of making yourself feel better by knocking someone else down.

It's some dumb shit and it's proof people don't learn, they just stay spiteful.

That's everywhere though. The people gawking at lynchings in the south are still around too. Hence why the claims racism is dead are so misguided. The people that fought civil rights are still around, and they had children who might have been indoctrinated to hate as well.

TyrantII

Eh... Ireland legalized gay marriage barely over a year ago, Massachusetts legalized it almost 15 years ago.

The point and the irony is how people in South Boston and other areas around Boston appropriate Irish culture second hand generations out, but aren't very Irish anymore at all.

There is a bit of "clinging to their Bibles and guns" going on, it's just not bibles and guns. It's the Vatican and a poor man's understanding of being Irish.

TyrantII

More reps have said they will not match, including conservative Democrat Stephen Lynch that represents South Boston.

Sponsor Anheuser Busch is piss (-ed off) apparently, but no word if they're withdrawing sponsorship yet.

It always amazes me how people think that homosexuals will somehow turn the straight population gay just by being allowed to interact with them.

Igo

Why doesn't the city just tell these guys to fuck off and have someone else organize the parade?

Really, the thing that surprises me is this whole thing about the Council supposedly holding an emergency meeting tomorrow on this. Emergency? None of the backlash has been unexpected at all. It's a lot of people and groups reverting their positions and action to where they were before OutVets was allowed in the 2015 one. Politicians skipping marching? Yep, that was largely where it was by 2014. Trouble with sponsors? Likewise.

So them apparently treating this as a shock is like being surprised that water starts coming back into your boat after you unplug a hole in the bottom.

Why doesn't the city just tell these guys to fuck off and have someone else organize the parade?

They have the right to organize a parade and other groups have the right to organize their own as well if they wish.

TyrantII

First Amendment and a SCOTUS decision.

They've tried. They pretty much could only withhold public services like police and shutting down streets, but that's not really fair to city residents since it'll just make things more disruptive.

Mesoian

That's everywhere though. The people gawking at lynchings in the south are still around too. Hence why the claims racism is dead are so misguided. The people that fought civil rights are still around, and they had children who might have been indoctrinated to hate as well.

Totally. Which is why I also scoff when people say that Boston is such an accepting and diverse city, especially when people don't go below south station.

Is there a term for a person who acts like theyre from mass, worships mass culture but isn't from mass?

You know, like a weeaboo. Bosaboo?

Townie-boos?

I also suggest calling Anhueser Busch directly and let them know that they should reevaluate their support of the parade. The only way these bigots will listen is thru financial pain.

Here is their number: 1-800-342-5283 and then stay on the line to get a hold of a representative. Call, don't email, for a bigger impact.

andthebeatgoeson

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...t-patricks-day-parade/?utm_term=.52935e074984

"They get a parade in June in Town, so I don't know why they'd need to do this."

Jesus Christ.
Jesus tap dancing Christ

But Bishop later told the Globe and other news outlets that it was consternation over OutVets’ logo, which features a small rainbow patch, that inspired the council’s rejection. Council members reportedly told Bishop that the rainbow imagery — a symbol of solidarity among LGBTQ advocates — violates the code of conduct because the council saw it as representative of gay sexuality.

'We don't want you to look gay or be proud of being gay or use a logo that identifies you as being gay.'

Fucking weak. They are too scared to say it's because they are LGBT so they make up something. Supposed to be courageous.

What exactly do you say when you call the sponsors?

"I'm disappointed in your support of a parade that discriminates against gays?"

Something like that ?

Tell them to please rethink your support of the St Patty day parade in Boston and that LGBT rights and AB's support of euality is a big deal to you. Bonus points if you tell them that being a sponsor is a big deal because they are the only ones who can probably pressure them to change stances

Tell them to please rethink your support of the St Patty day parade in Boston and that LGBT rights and AB's support of euality is a big deal to you. Bonus points if you tell them that being a sponsor is a big deal because they are the only ones who can probably pressure them to change stances

Thanks .

gordy

Neo Member
I wonder if the whole "pot o'gold at the end of a rainbow" imagery would piss these guys off? Watch out Lucky Charms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom