• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gayming-Age Strikes Back: Olympian Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

Meet some of the guys of your 2004 U.S. Olympic Team. Everyone feel free to add more from other countries, sports, whatever. This is just to start things off.

Michael Phelps (swimming)
photo12.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo08.jpg

photo12.jpg

1281m9b36e084-e986-4a52-a19b-198bada87b9e.jpg

Phelps110504034915.jpg

- Became the first American in history to qualify for the Olympic Games in six individual events at the 2004 U.S. Olympic Trials; after dropping the 200m backstroke, he will swim the 100m, 200m butterfly; 200m, 400m IM and 200m free, plus relays, in Athens
- In 2000, became the youngest American male swimmer (15) to compete in Olympic Games since 1932; finished fifth in the 200m butterfly.
- Current world-record holder in the 200m fly, 200m IM, and 400m IM; at the 2001 Spring Nationals, became the youngest man to break a world record (15 years, nine months)
- Became the first swimmer to set five world records at one meet at the 2003 World Championships; winning four golds and two silvers.
- Won the prestigious 2003 Sullivan Award as the top U.S. amateur athlete.
- "Michael is the closest to Mark Spitz that we have in this country, as far as across the rainbow of distances," said Jon Urbanchek, four-time U.S. Olympic team coach.

Cael Sanderson (wrestling)
CaelSanderson.jpg

Cael_Sanderson_5.jpg

Cael_Sanderson_6.jpg

- Iowa State wrestler Cael Sanderson is the first in his sport's history to finish undefeated in four seasons, and only the second NCAA Division I wrestler to win four NCAA championships. Sanderson will be deeply thrust into the media spotlight as he continues to set records never before achieved by a collegiate wrestler.

Andy Roddick (tennis)
Andy_Roddick.jpg

andy2.jpg

andy1.jpg

AndyRoddick7.jpg

AndyRoddickLosestoIvanisevic.jpg

- Finished 2001 ranked 14th in the world – the youngest player in the top 20
- Won his fifth title by defeating Pete Sampras in the final of the 2002 U.S. Clay Court Championships
- In 2001, he reached the third round in his Wimbledon debut before losing to eventual champion Goran Ivanisevic
- Made it to the quarterfinals of the 2001 U.S. Open just one week after his 19th birthday, the youngest player to do so since 18-year-old Andre Agassi in 1988
- Won the junior singles title at the 2000 U.S. Open
- During the semifinals of the U.S. Clay Court Championships, Roddick bought tickets to the next day’s finals for all the fans who waited through a five hour rain delay. “We started at about four o’clock,” Roddick explained of the semifinal match. “I was a set and 5-4 up and it started raining. It rained for a good four hours and by the time we got back onto court it was a little after 11 o’clock at night. There were about 5,000 people at the beginning and only about 250 at the end. When we went back on court they made as much noise as a packed stadium. They were really enthusiastic and pulling for me. I was signing autographs afterwards, and they were saying ‘Thanks for coming back and playing.’ I said ‘Thanks for coming back and supporting.’ I said that anybody who stayed out here through the rain delay, if they didn’t have tickets for the finals the next day, it was on me. I told them to just take it out of my prize money.”

Mason

Aaron, Peirsol (swimming)
piersol.jpg

aaron3.JPG

atr30.jpg

atr11.jpg

atr35.jpg

- World record-holder in the 200m back (long and short course meters) and 400m medley relay
- Silver medalist in 200m back at 2000 Olympic Games
- Gold medalist in 200m back at 2001 World Championships
- Won three gold medals at 2002 Pan Pacific Championships (100 & 200m back, 400 MR)
- On not turning professional in high school after the 2000 Olympic Games: "I love the team aspect of the sport. I think the experience in college and the NCAAs is something that was one of the reasons I kept swimming—because I thought about going to scho

Larsen Jensen (swimming)
larsen_jensen.jpg

1239m0d362be8-fdae-48ee-b6f1-2f552957349a.jpg

JensenAction110504123224.jpg

- Made the 2004 Olympic team with his second place finish in the 400 meter free
- American record-holder in the 800 meter free (a non-Olympic event for men)
- Left the University of Southern California halfway through his freshman year to concentrate on training for Olympic Trials
- "He's a real student of the sport," Rose told Swimming World magazine. "He always wants to know what other swimmers have done or are doing. He'll have two-hour meetings with Goodell to pick his brain. He's done some amazing stuff in the past six months."

Mason

Bryce Hunt (swimming)
5023737.jpg

Hunt200704113219.jpg

- Qualified for the Olympic Team in the 200 back based on his third place finish at Olympic Trials, after multi-event-qualifier Michael Phelps opted not to swim the event in Athens
- World University Games champion in the 200m back in 2001
- Helped Auburn University to two NCAA team championships
- Hunt started swimming at age six because of an asthma problem that greatly reduced his lung capacity. A doctor advised he start swimming, and today asthma doesn’t bother him anymore.

Landon Donovan (soccer)
donovan.jpg

dono05.jpg

dono10.jpg

dono09.jpg

dono06.jpg

dono03.jpg

FinishLine.jpg

Magazine_SoccerAmerica_4.gif

SI_Sofa.jpg

WMagazine_BoxerShorts.jpg

WMagazine_FlannelShirt.jpg

WMagazine_Recline.jpg

Donovan Wallpaper
- Member of San Jose Earthquakes of Major League Soccer
- Member of 2002 World Cup team, scoring two goals
- FIFA 2002 World Cup All-Star team
- Youngest member of 2000 U.S. Olympic Soccer Team
- 1999 Parade Magazine High School All-American Team
- Signed a deal with German Bundesliga club Bayer Leverkusen in Feb. 1999, becoming one of the youngest players (age 16) in U.S. Soccer history to sign a professional contract overseas.

God gymnasts are always so hot, but I must say I'm all about the wrestlers. Especially Cael. *drools* I'll have to post my selection of pictures in a bit, once I find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom