• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA 2: Any chances it is shown at E3 ?

ourumov

Ok...If we buy Nintendo's comments regarding the DS (it's not GBA's substitute, it is an alternate product, etc.) then the GBA will have been on the market for 5 years ! Considering people's change of impressions regarding PSP (caused by the price) it won't be a bad idea.

I suppose all will be about how both DS and PSP perform.

Case 1:

DS sales pale in comparison to PSP. People just don't like the two screens idea and they think that no game makes an interesting use of them. PSP sales, on the other hand, grow and grow.
This is the best case scenario to see a GBA 2 @ E3...Unfortunatelly this is the worst case scenario for Nintendo.
However, it's Nintendo, and it won't be the first time they try to market something people don't buy.

Case 2:
DS sales rock. Nintendo earns a lot of cash. It won't be a good idea to release information about another GBA...

I know the answer to the topic is a simple NO...but Nintendo should have all the R&D teams being working hard on GBA2 rather than on Revolution...

I don't think it'll be shown at E3. That'll probably be all about Revolution.

Besides I can't see the DS fading that fast, it's going to get a reasonable inital userbase at least.

I could see them unveiling GB Next at E3 2006 or maybe slightly earlier though.

Maybe Nintendo's planning something with GB Next that will save dev resources ... if they wait until 2006, a portable iteration of the GameCube may be possible, and then you don't require as much R&D because it has an instant library of games more advanced than even the PSP stuff. And hey, Miyamoto's quote on GCN lasting 10 years may turn out to be correct ;)

I am curious to see exactly what they're planning.

Another iteration of the GBA line may not be out of the question either, that could be made smaller possibly or given downloadable software ability (say $50 for the hardware, $5-$10 a game).

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
shibbs said:
Didnt Nintendo say the "GBA2" will be shown next E3?
No. They're hoping that they will be able to show off Revolution. I think just about the only thing that will be said about the next Game Boy is that it's under development. Maybe they'll say when to expect more info.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
There's currently three versions of possible new Game Boy hardware doing the rounds. It's not called Game Boy Advance, just "New Game Boy."
We were told what they look like from an NCL staffer. On in particular sounds incredble.
You can all now say I'm lying.

If the GBA2 is unveiled in any way, shape, or form at E3 2k5, it'll show a whole new level of stupidity and desparation from Nintendo.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm pretty sure we had a thread like this only a short while ago.

The answer is: Nintendo won't show GBA2 in 2005.

The next big hardware attraction from Nintendo is Revolution.

Grubdog

Banned
Folder said:
There's currently three versions of possible new Game Boy hardware doing the rounds. It's not called Game Boy Advance, just "New Game Boy."
We were told what they look like from an NCL staffer. On in particular sounds incredble.
You can all now say I'm lying.
Folder
I WORK FOR SPONG
ok :lol

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
NO!

Fuck i hate this thread

Do you think Nintendo wants to bleed fucking money and let down there fans?

Pokemon on DS = Handheld gold!

You touch me and i touch you POKEMON!!!

ourumov

Do The Mario said:
NO!

Fuck i hate this thread

Do you think Nintendo wants to bleed fucking money and let down there fans?

Pokemon on DS = Handheld gold!

You touch me and i touch you POKEMON!!!

Well...Perhaps the DS is letting down Nintendo fans...I don't know but I certainly would prefer a next-gent portable than what DS is.
And don't tell me that there is PSP for this...GBA was the last system where I could enjoy Konami, Capcom and Nintendo titles. Now thanks to DS I will have to own a PSP/DS.
I have always thought that owning just one system that fills all your needs is the best. This ended with the SNES and now it ends with the GBA.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
ourumov said:
I have always thought that owning just one system that fills all your needs is the best. This ended with the SNES and now it ends with the GBA.
That's hardly Nintendo's fault. Even if DS was similar to PSP you'd see different games coming out for each system I'm sure.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
ourumov said:
Well...Perhaps the DS is letting down Nintendo fans...I don't know but I certainly would prefer a next-gent portable than what DS is.
And don't tell me that there is PSP for this...GBA was the last system where I could enjoy Konami, Capcom and Nintendo titles. Now thanks to DS I will have to own a PSP/DS.
Konami and Capcom would have supported the PSP no matter how great the next Nintendo handheld was.

The DS is a next generation handheld how the hell is it letting down fans?

It will continue to have a superb first party

Okay using game rankings

Top 10 GBC games

1. Metal Gear Solid
GBC Konami
16 7.8 94.8% 96.8%
2. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
GBC Nintendo
21 8.7 91.4% 93.5%
3. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
GBC Nintendo
21 8.8 91.8% 92.9%
4. Super Mario Bros. Deluxe
GBC Nintendo
13 8.6 91.3% 92.2%
5. Wario Land 3
GBC Nintendo
13 8.1 91.8% 91.5%
6. Donkey Kong Country
GBC Nintendo
17 7.9 91.1% 91.3%
7. Pokemon Silver
GBC Nintendo
26 7.9 90.0% 90.0%
8. Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
GBC Nintendo
13 6.9 86.5% 88.7%
9. Mario Tennis
GBC Nintendo
17 8.6 87.0% 88.6%
10. Pokemon Gold
GBC Nintendo
19 7.9 87.2% 87.9%

Top 10 GBA games

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
GBA Nintendo
48 9.1 92.6% 93.0%
2. Advance Wars
GBA Nintendo
53 8.9 92.1% 92.4%
3. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
GBA Nintendo
48 9.0 91.9% 92.1%
4. Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
GBA Nintendo
60 9.0 91.8% 92.1%
5. Mario Kart Super Circuit
GBA Nintendo
50 8.6 91.1% 92.0%
6. Metroid Fusion
GBA Nintendo
69 8.9 91.4% 91.9%
7. Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
GBA Nintendo
43 8.7 90.5% 90.9%
8. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
GBA Activision
36 8.1 91.2% 90.8%
9. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
GBA Nintendo
67 8.7 90.6% 90.7%
10. Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
GBA Nintendo
53 8.7 90.8% 90.6%

It’s Nintendo’s first party line up that keeps their handhelds alive not the third party, and the DS first party line up looks great!

I personally think GBA 2 will be announced late next year. If it has something to do with Revolution then it would be incumbent upon them to show it at E3 even.

I really do think DS is going to have been something seperate. I won't mind personally. And all that third pillar talk is pre-emptive damage control.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
radioheadrule83 said:
I personally think GBA 2 will be announced late next year. If it has something to do with Revolution then it would be incumbent upon them to show it at E3 even.

I really do think DS is going to have been something seperate. I won't mind personally. And all that third pillar talk is pre-emptive damage control.

Nintendo to support 3 consoles at the same time? Yeah right!

Do The Mario said:
Was GBC mgs that good? i might try to dig up a copy i have seen a few around!

Well, if you're any sort of Metal Gear fan, never picking this up would be a shame. Especially with the amount of VR missions in there and they play pretty turely to the PSX version. But I don't ever remember finding something I disliked about it, well now I wish it wasn't on the GBC, but for what Konami managed to do, simply amazing. It's been a while since I've played it, I can't say I recall too much, but you should check out the reviews from IGN and GS.

Heh, I should probably pick it up myself as well, I no longer own mine, gave it away to a friend.

Do The Mario said:
What new games are coming out for the GBA?

Minish cap is already finished

In Europe:

Nintendo Classics 2,
Four Swords Adventures,
Donkey Kong Country 2,
It's Mr Pants,
Banjo Pilot,
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

and the usual movie/cartoon liscence crap.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
radioheadrule83 said:
In Europe:

Nintendo Classics 2,
Four Swords Adventures,
Donkey Kong Country 2,
It's Mr Pants,
Banjo Pilot,

First party developed games only, plus a few NES and SNES ports are hardly supporting a system. Some of those titles are already out in the states and hence finished.

Amir0x

Banned
If they show GBA2 at E32005, they would be symbolically admitting defeat for the Nintendo DS. This would automatically cut the DS at the legs. And then you have all the people who purchased the Nintendo DS being isolated because there's no way in hell the vast majority of people are going to hop from a dead Nintendo DS to an alive GBA2 just because Nintendo now says this is the real thing.

No, there is NO room for both Nintendo DS AND GBA 2, on top of PSP. None. Don't even try to suggest it. If GBA2 is revealed at E32005, DS = officially dead.

THAT SAID...

No, GBA2 will not be shown at E3 2005. DS seems to be doing fairly well so far at least if the pre-orders/pre-sells are any indication, and Nintendo is not fucking stupid.

Well, ok, not that stupid...

ourumov

I think it's better to admit you were wrong than to try continuing supporting something people doesn't buy. And if you don't believe me, take a look at what happened with the allmighty connectivity.
If PSP destroys NDS sales wise, they'd better forgot about the NDS and pull a GBA2 fast because if they give Sony a 2M userbase gap, then they will lose all the market.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
radioheadrule83 said:
In Europe:

Nintendo Classics 2,
Four Swords Adventures,
Donkey Kong Country 2,
It's Mr Pants,
Banjo Pilot,

Mario Party advance and Minish Cap are the ONLY Nintendo published games to be released in America.

Minish Cap is already finished, the PAL releases are nothing but localizations Nintendo is not supporting three consoles!

YOU ARE WRONG!

Amir0x

Banned
On top of this, few of us are considering the huge amount of money Nintendo has actually poured into marketing the Nintendo DS. With such a massive investment, I can't even conceive a scenario where a GBA2 makes an appearance.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
radioheadrule83 said:

Is this actually you:

measmario1.jpg

Mr_Furious said:
If the GBA2 is unveiled in any way, shape, or form at E3 2k5, it'll show a whole new level of stupidity and desparation from Nintendo.

This won't happpen. We're talking nintendo not capcom.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Personally, I don't think the DS or the PSP will sell well.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
RevenantKioku said:
Personally, I don't think the DS or the PSP will sell well.
On what grounds?
Is it the masive pre-order levels, strong prices or the massive consumer interest that prompts this?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Folder said:
On what grounds?
Is it the masive pre-order levels, strong prices or the massive consumer interest that prompts this?

Just a gut feeling.
You see the SP almost literally fly off the shelves, and you really begin to wonder who are gonna be buying these new systems.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Revolution is not going to be "shown" at E3-05. The most we'll find out is all the technology partners involved and its preliminary specs. Same thing for PS3.

cja

With Pokemon Pearl & Diamond announced for DS I don't see GBA2 on the horizon. Unless the GBA 2 is DS-lite.

20+ first party games for the DS, numerous new GBA games announced in Famitsu recently, ongoing GameCube development with arguably a stronger '05 line-up than '04 and then the supposed Revolution unveiling for E3 2005 with all the development kit and library work a new format entails. I don't see how they would fit in a GBA 2 nor where they'd get the staff to work on software for it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I can't believe that there are people still convinced that Nintendo plans to release a new portable OTHER than the DS any time soon.

ge-man

It's just common sense for Nintendo to say nothing about the next GB at this E3 and even the next one. I think a lot of this speculation is being fueled by people being disappointed in the hardware capabilites of the DS. There's no doubt that it's nowhere near the PSP in specs, but I think it's a little too early to look at the DS as a mistake. There are more factors involved in the success of a portable than graphics. If that wasn't the case, there's no way in hell that Nintendo could've dominated this part of the industry.

olimario

Banned
Only release it if it's backwards compatable with the Nintendoods.
The DS should have had much better graphics. It wont age well.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
RevenantKioku said:
Just a gut feeling.
You see the SP almost literally fly off the shelves, and you really begin to wonder who are gonna be buying these new systems.

the screens of both DS and PSP compared to what the GBA SP offered will be a major shocking.

I am glad, really glad that I skipped the GBA SP and stayed with the GBA: the front-lighting of the GBA SP is really inferior to the back-lightign Nintendo went with the DS. Not only the screen supports more colors for DS games, now GBA games can be played as we always wanted to: with vibrant and not washed out colors (we do nto have the bluish tint typical of the GBA SP light) and with nice screen illumination as provided by the back-lighting set-up.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Gahiggidy said:
Revolution is not going to be "shown" at E3-05. The most we'll find out is all the technology partners involved and its preliminary specs. Same thing for PS3.

Revolution will be at E3 2005. Both PlayStation 3 and Revolution/NES5 will be at E3 2005 although neither will be in as much of a final stage as Xbox 2 will be.

Same thing for PlayStation 3 ?

Sony expects to show off its latest PlayStation at the E3 trade show next May, it said on Monday, increasing pressure on Microsoft to take the wraps off its Xbox successor at that time.

Sony's game-business head Ken Kutaragi said it planned to unveil a playable version of the new console at next year's E3, the annual video-game trade show scheduled to take place from May 18 to 20 in Los Angeles.

http://news.com.com/Sony+lays+plans+to+unveil+PlayStation+3/2100-1043_3-5265860.html?tag=nefd.top

schedule.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
sp0rsk said:
so does this mean we should expect a ps3 announcement in the next few weeks?

No, but that time-line suggests something close to January-February 2005... uhm... it looks to be like intentionally close enough to some other announcement ;).

We should expect the CELL WorkStation to be shown before the PlayStation 3 premiere in January-February 2005 though.

Top Bottom