• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GBA:SP or DS?

I thought the DS was meant to be a "third pillar"... so why would GBA support die so quickly if it is so? If GBA support stops in 2005, then DS is nothing but a too-early successor to the GBA.

GDGF

Soothsayer
AtomicShroom said:
I thought the DS was meant to be a "third pillar"... so why would GBA support die so quickly if it is so?

Because the third party community would rather develop for the NDS than the GBA.

AtomicShroom said:
I thought the DS was meant to be a "third pillar"... so why would GBA support die so quickly if it is so? If GBA support stops in 2005, then DS is nothing but a too-early successor to the GBA.

What makes you think support has stopped? It'll start tailing off, but its not going to stop in 05. Unless E3 brings GBA 2. Its easily forseeable that Majesco and THQ will probably still support the system, ditto with EA. 70 million GBA owners arent just disappearing next year.

I'd like to see an alternate version of DS without the GBA slot come to think of it.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
ferricide said:
jesus christ you guys are fast. =P i was actually trying to edit my post but the forum didn't load quickly enough to get there before THREE replies. youch.

anyway to clarify i've actually played a fair bit of DS now and it really does look nicer for GBA games.

You know we're only teasing right? You were SO SPOT ON in your SO3 review. ;p

I wouldn't play GBA games on the DS, I know that much. Too big, too many screens (lol). Moreover, the SP is more a toy than a console, which you can use on the bus or whatever, carry in your pocket and recharge once every few days. That's, in fact, what I love my SP for.

And you may be able to get a second-hand one for dirt-cheap now.

Mejilan

aerodynamik said:
I wouldn't play GBA games on the DS, I know that much. Too big, too many screens (lol). Moreover, the SP is more a toy than a console, which you can use on the bus or whatever, carry in your pocket and recharge once every few days. That's, in fact, what I love my SP for.

And you may be able to get a second-hand one for dirt-cheap now.

Ummm, consoles are toys. Toys for increasingly older people, perhaps, but they are toys. I use my handhelds as much as I use my consoles, and for exactly the same reasons... to play games. Toys.

Edit - And besides... YOU CAN CHOOSE WHAT SCREEN the GBA games play on, when playing them on a DS. That is SO hardcore! ;p

Deg

Banned
Cruel Bastard Mario said:
Because the third party community would rather develop for the NDS than the GBA.

In your dreams DS fanboy. Of ocurse it doesnt help DS doesnt even have a userbase yet. :D

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
ferricide said:
yeah yeah yeah. =)

This is just a random thought and off topic, but for some reason I think the way you look in real life is what the guy in your avatar looks like.

On topic: I say get a DS, you'll basically have 2 handhelds in one, so if you feel like playing a DS game instead of a GBA game, you can just pop that in instead.

Mejilan said:
Ummm, consoles are toys. Toys for increasingly older people, perhaps, but they are toys. I use my handhelds as much as I use my consoles, and for exactly the same reasons... to play games. Toys.

Edit - And besides... YOU CAN CHOOSE WHAT SCREEN the GBA games play on, when playing them on a DS. That is SO hardcore! ;p

You know what I mean ;). I've played the GBA in front of my grandma and she never asked what the hell I was doing. And I'm almost middle-aged, I'm afraid. I've taken it to places I know I wouldn't use it because it's no bigger than my wallet and it's easily replaceable. I'd never take out a PSP in the bus, and never will. Or an NDS, but for different reasons ;).

Mejilan

I'd like to make a disclaimer. I have NOT been paid any amount of many or otherwise been compensated by anyone or any organization for my pro-NDS views in this or in any other thread. :D

Mejilan

aerodynamik said:
You know what I mean ;). I've played the GBA in front of my grandma and she never asked what the hell I was doing. And I'm almost middle-aged, I'm afraid. I've taken it to places I know I wouldn't use it because it's no bigger than my wallet and it's easily replaceable. I'd never take out a PSP in the bus, and never will. Or an NDS, but for different reasons ;).

Well, I'm 26, so I don't know how you define 'almost middle-aged' but I certainly am starting to feel the years (heh.) I don't see why you wouldn't take out an NDS or PSP on the bus. I use my GBA SP primarily during my daily commutes, roughly 1.5 hours each way, each day. This in the NY subways. When the DS and PSP hit, I will most assuredly be using them in exactly the same capacity I'm now using the GBA SP.

GDGF

Soothsayer
radioheadrule83 said:
Four Swords is one of the reasons I won't sell any one of my two SPs.

I wouldn't either (if I had two of them), but I must say Four Swords (DS) is one of the reasons I can't wait for the Nintendo DS. FF:CC DS is another. Finally, we'll get connectivity to the masses without all of the hangups of extra hardware required :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
Mejilan said:
I'd like to make a disclaimer. I have NOT been paid any amount of many or otherwise been compensated by anyone or any organization for my pro-NDS views in this or in any other thread. :D

Same here, but with the caviat that I most certainly will if any interested parties are reading this ;)

The SP is a great little machine. There's plenty of stuff you can buy for it and it's a must-have for road trips and commutes. That being said, I'm SO looking forward to the Nintendo DS games. There's so many good titles on the way and you can also play multiplayer. If you ride the bus you never know who you'll meet that might join in on some Mario 64 or Metroid action! :)

Sounds like you made up your mind to go with the SP. Probably the right choice right now. You can always "level up" to the DS later on.

Top Bottom