• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George R.R. Martin's latest announcement for A Feast for Crows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
From his official site:

MORE PAGES. STILL NOT DONE. ALAS, ALAS.
I have been getting lots of email lately asking for an update on the progress of A FEAST FOR CROWS. Here it is. I aim to please.

I have been getting even more email asking if the latest publication date announced by one bookstore or another is correct. It isn't. I don't even care what date it is. I am still writing the book. Until it is done and delivered, all these announced pubdates are arrived at by throwing darts at a calendar.

As I have been saying for a year, the moment the book is done I will announce it here. The instant. The second. So if you visit this website, and this notice is still in place, it means I'm still writing. That remains as true in June as it was in January. Yes, I have been slow in updating this announcement, but believe me, I will not be slow to tell the world that my FEAST is headed for the table.

For whatever reason, this fourth book has given me much more trouble than any of the earlier volumes. As of today, I have finished forty-eight chapters, and have another eighteen partially written. Half a dozen of them are within a few whiskers of completion. The good news is that I have recently completed the final Jaime chapter for this volume. I'm very close on Arya and Sansa too, and fairly close on Tyrion. The not-so-good news is that all the other viewpoints remain incomplete, and one crucial one is barely half-done. The prologue is giving me fits as well, but as of last night I think I may have solved it.

The last printout I did for my editors (who are even more interested in my progress than my readers) came in at 1067 manuscript pages. That count includes includes only the finished chapters, not the partials. The final draft of A GAME OF THRONES was 1088 manuscript pages. A FEAST FOR CROWS will definitely be longer. Most likely it will be longer than A CLASH OF KINGS. As to whether it will eventually be as long as A STORM OF SWORDS... I hope not, but I have given up on making predictions.

The tale grew in the telling, J.R.R. Tolkien once said. Mine too. At a certain point, the best that you can do is follow your story where it leads you.

The vast majority of the email that I receive continues to be very supportive. I do not have the time to respond to all those letters, or to answer questions about why the seasons are the way they are, how the maesters make their chains, which of the Targaryen kings married their sisters, or where Myr is located in relation to Tyrosh (there will be a map of the Free Cities in FEAST that should take of that last one at least). If I did, my progress would be even slower than it is at present. I do read my emails, however, and I appreciate all the enthusiasm and kind words.

Of late, some of the words I have been getting have been less kind. I don't answer those either, though at times I am tempted. I will say, just to set some rumors straight, that I am not dead, I am not dying, I am not in ill health, I have not forgotten about my readers, and I am not lounging in my hot tub drinking chilled wine with hot babes in bikinis (though I'd like to be). I have been working on this bloody book almost every bloody day (okay, except for Sundays during football season and the two days of the NFL draft) for more years than I care to contemplate, writing, rewriting, revising, and writing again, trying to make FEAST a feast in truth.

As for those of you (only a handful, thankfully) who seem outraged that I continue to collect toy knights, read books by other people, travel, teach, speak, and make appearances (as evidenced by my website)... sorry, but I have a life beyond A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. You should get one too. I am sorry if the long delays on A FEAST FOR CROWS have made you lose interest in the series, but believe me, your frustrations cannot possibly hold a candle to my own. For one thing, the way the book biz works, I don't get paid until the novel is (a) delivered, and (b) published.

It is worth remembering that Jack Vance published the third volume of his wonderful Demon Prince series (THE PALACE OF LOVE) in 1967 and the fourth volume (THE FACE) in 1979. And need I mention how long J.R.R. Tolkien worked on THE LORD OF THE RINGS or THE SILMARILLION? Does anyone now wish that he had knocked them out faster?

In the end, the only thing anyone remembers about a book is how good it was. I won't tell you that A FEAST FOR CROWS is going to be great. That's not my call to make. But I will say that I am doing my damndest.

Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.

George R.R. Martin, June 16, 2004

If this is old, well, I did a search so too bad.

While I do enjoy his books, and am bummed about the delay, I can't help but find it a bit disturbing and presumptuous that he keeps comparing himself to J.R.R. Tolkien.

Akira

heavyliquid: I agree. His name initials doesn't help out his case. Now he just needs a logo like Tolkien.

As for AFFC, I'm still eagerly waiting for it. I'm sort of happy he's taking his time on it.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
I wouldn't compare Martin to Tolkien myself, considering that his books are so different; I don't think he intended it in a literary sense. I think he's just getting tired of saying "I'm not done yet!" Personally, I loved The Hobbit, but I couldn't get through FotR, let alone the rest of the trilogy. I just couldn't get into it, but I probably will give it another chance sometime. Not to say Martin is better, but his stories pick up a lot quicker and his characters are a little more three-dimensional IMO. Also, I just prefer a more blurred line between good and evil.

http://pub26.ezboard.com/basoiaf is an interesting forum that has tons of summaries of chapters that Martin has read at conventions. There's a lot of rumor and discussion, especially about who the new POV is.

I've heard people say bad things about Jordan's last few books, but I haven't read any of them. Are they really that bad?

hiryu

I am unable to finish the last Wheel of Time book. It's just too damn boring. While, I can't wait for the next Martin book I wish he would hurry the fuck up.

calder

Bummer. I foolishly started re-reading ASOIAF a few weeks back, and now I'm 80ish pages away from done with Storm of Swords so I was foolishly hoping to hear about AFFC being done soon. I was considering making a thread about AFFC anticipation, basically asking what you most want to see (me, I DEFINITELY want to see the Frey's all fucking die) and who you most want to die next. ;)

I'm waiting for the next installment of 3 or 4 other really good fantasy series, but AFFC is the biggie. I guess I should go pick up Erikson's newest Malazan book, but it totally snuck up on me. Seems to be *another* entire new campaign in another new locale, so I wasn't as pumped to go run out and get it asap as I would have been if it was continuing at least some of the existing character/plot arcs.

Damn. I've been hanging for this book for years. As for comparing himself to Tolkien...fair enough, the SOIAF series are the best fantasy novels since Tolkien's.

cuccoo

I think what he meant was the delay is used to make sure the quality remains high, just like how Tolkien took all those time to create his own masterpiece. I dont think he was claiming that he's as good or better than Tolkien (though I think GRRM's better). Still I'm very disappointed that its not done yet. I'm afraid that I'll lose interest in this series or even the fantasy genre as I get older. So, I need his books now!!!

Amneziak

aka The Hound
I wouldn't worry about losing interest as you get older; age really has nothing to do with it. I don't know how old you are, but I didn't even like fantasy at all until recently, and I'm almost thirty!

As far as what I'd like to see: as my user name might give away, I really liked Sandor Clegane, and I hope he'll be back. However, I don't think I'd like to see him as a POV character. He's dangerous and unpredictable, and I like it better not knowing exactly what he's thinking. I would like to see Brienne as a POV, or maybe even Garlan Tyrell or Daario Naharis. Also, for once I'd like to get a commoner's perspective. Every POV character so far has been a noble (that I can think of) and for once I'd like to see things from the eyes of someone of low birth, like maybe a sellsword.

Also, does anyone have any idea why Martin calls knights ser instead of sir? My guess is that he wants to use Ser as a title rather than salutation.

nitewulf

ice and fire is a different monster from regular fantasy. i got my brother and his friends hooked and they are as far from the fantasy crowd as you could imagine. hell i didnt like fantasy before i started reading ice and fire and the dark tower.
anyway, i think i read this update before...what can you do, just gotta wiat. in the meantime i bought a sci-fi short story collection of his, "a song for lya: and other stories", mostly written in the 70's. it's really good.

Prospero

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King taught me never to start a multi-volume fantasy series until the final volume is definitely headed for shelves. (The wait for The Waste Lands was pretty long back in the day, and the wait for Wizard and Glass was for-freakin'-ever.) I'm definitely going to read A Song of Ice and Fire whenever it winds up, though (in ten years, probably). I haven't touched a high fantasy novel since high school, but I've really liked other things I've read by Martin--he has great characters, and a great prose style, in a totally different league from the usual swords-and-sorcery schlock.

While I'm at it, I can't recommend the Wild Cards shared-world novels, edited by George R. R. Martin, highly enough--the first six of those are back in print, and you might consider reading those to kill time.

nitewulf said:
ice and fire is a different monster from regular fantasy. i got my brother and his friends hooked and they are as far from the fantasy crowd as you could imagine. hell i didnt like fantasy before i started reading ice and fire and the dark tower.
anyway, i think i read this update before...what can you do, just gotta wiat. in the meantime i bought a sci-fi short story collection of his, "a song for lya: and other stories", mostly written in the 70's. it's really good.

Definitely, I've gone completely off the genre. Except for this series.

Optimistic said:
Definitely, I've gone completely off the genre. Except for this series.

Agreed.

A Song of Ice and Fire MMO would be great, except you'd put 200 hours into developing a character only to have them killed and the data summarily erased during a world event.

FnordChan

Prospero said:
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King taught me never to start a multi-volume fantasy series until the final volume is definitely headed for shelves.

Alternately, it taught me to kick back and enjoy a series as it's coming out. Sure, 7 year waits between volumes are no fun, but I'm glad I read the books as they were being released instead of holding out for almost two decades to wait for the whole thing to be completed.

Of course, I can say that now that the last volume of the Dark Tower series is only three months away. It also helps that I just read the first half of ASOFAI at the beginning of the year, so I'm not chomping at the bit quite as badly as most folks.

In fact, my main concern at this point is not "Will Martin hurry the hell up with the rest of the series", but "Will Martin restrain himself and not keep ASOFAI going into eternity. As long as he wraps everything up in six boooks, I'm content to wait. However, if he steps on the dark road that consumed Jordan, I'm going to kick myself repeatedly.

That said, I wholeheartedly second your Wild Cards recommendations, at least for the first, say, five or six volumes or so.

FnordChan

Gruco

Banned
The Hound said:
Every POV character so far has been a noble (that I can think of) and for once I'd like to see things from the eyes of someone of low birth, like maybe a sellsword.
Davos fits, I think.

This one has been a long time in the making, but I don't doubt for a second that it'll be worth the wait (nor am I concerned at all that Martin will decend to any Robert Jordanism). What does concern me is that the wait keeps making want to read spoiler chapters, which is enjoyable now, but could end up making the book a little thinner than ist would be otherwise.

Amneziak

aka The Hound
The thing about Davos is that he's been a noble throughout the story; I want to see things through the eyes of a character who isn't, and won't be (so even Bronn wouldn't count). That's my only problem with the story, that commoners are little more than dirt to be stepped on.

I'm not too worried about the series floundering, but there have been so many disappointments, like Jordan's WoT, The Matrix, Star Wars, etc. You never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom