• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gervais wants low-key start for 'Extras'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suerte

digitalspy.co.uk

The Office star Ricky Gervais wants his next TV project to start off as a low-key affair.

The comedian says he's around "a quarter done" on the new show, called Extras.

"It's all about these people who get to stand in some mud for a day and maybe get a glimpse of George Clooney's head and then bitch about the catering van being late and spending the rest of time hoping they get to say one line," Gervais told this week's heat.

He added that he and writing partner Stephen Merchant already had a story trajectory worked out for one six-episode series and had already thought about a following six.

As well as writing the show, Gervais will also star in the series.

"My character is one of those people who sits and bitches at the telly going, 'Why did he get that part? He can't act!' to the point where I think I'm better than De Niro. But I just haven't had the breaks. I'm a bit of a wisecracker but when it comes down to it I'm a bit of a coward too. The character's not a people person - he hates people but he's stuck in a green room with some of the most banal, inane losers and it's hard for him to get through it."

He expects the show will make it to air in around a year's time.

"I'd like to get it out for the summer again," he continued. "Just start all over again. BBC2, Monday, 9.30pm. Like The Office, which started 9 July, 2001. I would like to sneak it out like that again with no hype. Not that I can do that now but I can at least try. I don't want f***ing billboards!"

Manders

Banned
Oh heck yeah! Ricky Gervais is freakin hilarious.

This is actually the first I've heard of this. Any other actors from The Office in it?

SFA_AOK

From what he describes of it, it sounds like it could actually be quite good. It sounds like it will suit his style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom