• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Getting used car --- Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Okay so here's the dillio, peeps. My father is going to buy me a used car. He's willing to spend upwards of possibly $8000.....7Gs is more realistic, but possibly 8. I'm almost 23, almost out of college, and it's about damn fucking time I have my first car.

Anywho, so I'll be looking around used car dealerships for the next 2 or 3 weeks around Madison, WI. I don't know exactly what I want, and I don't know a lot about cars. Basically I want a car on the smaller side, and one that has some good power to it (for the pricerange). I don't know if I want a 2-door or a 4-door.....2-doors would be a bit smaller, and it seems there are more 'sporty' 2-doors than 4-doors, but then again 4-doors are more convenient, and have lower insurance.

One question I have is, is it worth looking at 4-cylinder cars? Also, it seems I've heard and read a lot about how japanese cars are generally just a lot more reliable than american cars.....is there much truth to that? If so, should I mainly be looking at Hondas and Toyatas and whatnot?

Any mileage I shouldn't go beyond, like 25k, 50k, 75k? 350k?

Any particular cars I should look into?

Is driving around to various used car lots the best method, or should I try stuff like ebay? Also, are there are sites that list all the used cars in your area or let you search for a particular car in your area?

Thanks GAFFERS.

Oh by the way, my dad and I were looking at a few lots on Sunday (they were all closed), and we came upon a red convertible 98 Mustang with ~75k miles and was selling for around $8000, and supposedly has no problems.. My dad was like "oh man, this be teh car I ALWAYS wanted", but was kind of considering maybe getting it for me as a graduation present. But I dunno.....and he wasn't too keen on the idea of getting a car with so many miles and with no warrenty. What do you think about that deal?

Neo_ZX

Depends on how long you plan to keep the car. In general, Japanese cars > American if you're talking about fuel economy which is of increased importance in this day and age.

When I was looking for a used car (in your price range) I was looking mainly at Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas since they offered good fuel economy compared to car size (500km/full tank). I initially looking to keep the car for roughly 3-5 years so I was hoping to keep the mileage under 80K which means a car that's 2-3 years old.

Of course I ended up financing a new car for 5 years...

If you want a real gas saver get a Suzuki Sprint. My friend says more than 800km/tank.

Doth Togo

Honda/Toyota/Subaru

Accord, Camry, Legacy are all good cars. Beware pre-1994 year models on each of these three cars.

demon

I don't know how long I plan on keeping the car, but if it were at least a decent one, I'm sure it would be a while.

And to be honest, I am willing to sacrifice perhaps a bit in the areas of reliability and more practical stuff like that if it will get be a car with a bit of pep, if ya know what I mean. Then again, I don't want a fast junker. And I'm not looking for something with the power of a Lambo, obviously.

Neo_ZX

I wouldn't get a used car for pep unless you're pretty familiar with internal workings/repair. That's just me though. I could never see myself getting a used American car.

If you want some style, try maybe a Celica, Integra or Prelude. Good used ones are probably out of your price range though.

demon

Yeah the Prelude was one I was kinda interested in. Searching at places like carmax.com, they seem to be pretty damn expensive, even with 100K+ miles on them. They're pretty damn cheap on ebay, though. Is ebay a route worth venturing for this?

Vandiger

I'd get a Nissan Maxima, very good power, decent size, excellent reliability. I wouldn't buy a car online unless I can actually inspect the car personally or bring my mechanic to check it out.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Almost all of the cars that have been listed are amongst the most stolen cars in the US. If you choose to buy one, just make sure you're getting it from a reputable dealer :)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
demon said:
Yeah the Prelude was one I was kinda interested in. Searching at places like carmax.com, they seem to be pretty damn expensive, even with 100K+ miles on them. They're pretty damn cheap on ebay, though. Is ebay a route worth venturing for this?

Preludes are popular cars and still have a high resale value. And don't by from eBay, I've heard far too many horror stories.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
I just bought a used '99 Subaru Impreza outback for $9000 with only 37k miles on it. It's great - small, sport, but with a hatch / wagon back that makes it great for hauling furniture and stuff around (which I do a lot of because I just graduated from college and moved to a new city). It's honestly what I'd recommend. A few points that I learned while looking:

1) Don't buy American. Used American cars have really shitty resale, and with good reason. They just don't last as long as foreign cars.

2) Make SURE you get a carfax report, and make SURE the VIN on the Carfax matches the VIN on the car you're looking for (should be a sticker inside the driver's door AND it should be listed on the dashboard of the car in the bottom-right hand corner (looking in from the outside). Some dealers try and pass off a carfax report for a similar car with a different VIN, so they make a car that's been banged up "seem" good.

3) Don't necessarily be fooled into thinking low miles = quality. Yeah, you don't want to buy a car with 120,000 miles that will have to have it's whole drivetrain replaced in a year, but you also don't need to spend an extra $3000 for a car with half the mileage. Test drive the car and decide for yourself if the car is still in good condition (note: I was buying a manual transmission, so this was easier for me than if you're buying automatic).

I used lots of good online sites to check car values and whether or not you were getting a deal. kelley's blue book and edmunds.com are good for pricing cars, while you can look at cars.com, edmunds.com, or autotrader.com to see what kind of cars are available.

All that being said, the people who suggested Honda / Toyota / Subaru are right on. Yeah, they have the highest resale value of all used cars, so are going to be a bit pricier than an equivalent Dodge or Kia, but they have that price because they've earned it. Those cars just hold together better over time than other, similar cars.

bjork

I can recommend Honda Civics based on my experiences with mine, which just rolled over 100,000 miles on the way home last night:

- Hit a sheep at about 70 mph, which nearly totaled the front end, but allowed me to drive about another 30 miles before I got back home. It had split the radiator, knocked the headlights loose (they were hanging out), mushed the hood, busted the front bumper, and mashed the two front fenders... but it kept on going! And when I got it out of the shop, it was good as new.

- Took a dip at about 50 mph awhile ago and dented the oilpan, but it's never leaked. Good oilpan, whoever makes them for Honda.

- Rearended a guy and punched in the headlight, hood, and fender again, but it still drove fine until I got it fixed.

Aside from that, it's just been general maintenance. I did the timing chain and related belts at 67k miles, changed out the oil whenever I remembered to, and aside from oddball stuff it's been very dependable. I took it to the shop today for new radiator hoses, and the mechanic told me that the radiator cap was leaking, which was causing it to run hot. So he got me a new radiator cap too.

Also, taking into account that this is a car that I bought without knowing until much later that it was an out-of-state salvage with a cut frame, I can only imagine that a regular used Honda that hasn't weathered myself and whoever had it before me would be that much better.

Only other tip: avoid leather interior, and if it's red with tan interior, steer clear. That's ugly color coordination.

Here's what you do:

Take that money from your dad telling him you'll buy the car on your own, and with $1000 of the money, make your own car! All you need is a couple bicycles and a couple two-by-fours!

Use the two-by-fours to attach the two bicycles together, then, get a chair (only the top part, none of the legs) and hot glue it onto the two-by-fours. Take the little brake handle thingies off of the handlebars and hot glue them to the side of the chair. Then late at night you can sneak into a dump and steal the motor off of an old car (you'll probably have to make a dummy of yourself and fill it with meat to fool the dogs guarding the dump ((haha! foolish dogs!)) while you steal the motor). Attach the motor to the pedals of the two bicycles and you have your own motorized bicycle machine! You should also get a set of aviator goggles and those old-timey aviator hats and a scarf, 'cause that always looks wicked cool when you're driving your motorized bicycle machine.

To steer your motorized bicycle machine try getting another two-by-four and just poke the front wheels of the bicycles. It may get stuck in the spokes your first few tries, but you'll get the hang of it eventually. Also buy an elaborate horn, and use it often, so people and animals and those people-animal hybrids know when your cool as hell motorized bicycle machine is heading their way.

Then, you can use the rest of the money for your other needs, and no one will be the wiser! Plus, you'll get a lot of respect from the community for your wicked awesome aviator goggles and the motorized bicycle machine.

I'll post a schematic of the motorized bicycle machine later to help you.

AlphaSnake

You'll never find a decent used Subaru for 8k. You can get 4th generation Nissan Maxima (1995-1999) from anywhere between $4k-9k, preferably I'd go with the 97-99 model (they look a tad nicer). You can find a decent Accord (1997-1999) for about $8k. You could get a Toyota Camry (1998-1999) for about 8k. You can find a great 2001 Civic for 8k. You can find an Audi 1.8t (1998-99) for about 8k.

I could probably think of a few more...

demon

Cool, thanks for the advice, guys.

How are Accords, Civics and Camrys in terms of performance?

bjork

My Civic is a 4-cylinder... I have no idea about any of the technical hoo-ha. I just know that I can drive up people's asses and scare the hell out of anyone foolish enough to ride with me, so it works for me.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
AlphaSnake said:
You'll never find a decent used Subaru for 8k.

What? Go to Kelley Blue Book and you'll see a '99 or '98 2-door with ~50-60k is worth that much or a lot less. Hell, I got a '99 Impreza outback with 37k miles for $9000. This is all assuming you get a manual transmission instead of an automatic.

Neo_ZX

I have 2003 Civic and Camry. Both are great for their intended markets. I expect them to last at least 10 years if maintained properly and they ride very well.

Things to note about Camrys - it is one smooth ride. Probably since Toyota has been elevating the body of their later models to get more shock absorbance. The engine is really quiet and comes with a good speaker system. Pretty good fuel economy for a car of its size (4 cylinder) but has weak acceleration.

My Civic gets pretty good mileage and is what I drive most of the time unless I need to drive 5 or 6 people around. New Civics have very little rear passenger room. The AC isn't very cold. Decent acceleration and the engine is a lot louder than the Camry.

AlphaSnake

Nerevar said:
What? Go to Kelley Blue Book and you'll see a '99 or '98 2-door with ~50-60k is worth that much or a lot less. Hell, I got a '99 Impreza outback with 37k miles for $9000. This is all assuming you get a manual transmission instead of an automatic.

The older Subaru 2-doors are ugly and weak. This is the only 2000 and down Subaru worth getting:

impreza_02.jpg

impreza_01.jpg

Minus the decals, and all.

ballhog

I got a 94 celica about four years ago with 120k. It's a little over 180k now and i have had no trouble with it at all. Most reliable car I've ever owned. I have had terrible luck with VW, and so has everyone I have ever known who has had one.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"How are Accords, Civics and Camrys in terms of performance?"

Accord and Camry are neck and neck.

Civic is kind of like an economy version of the accord. Sort of. Anything higher than Accord in it's class, you've got to go to Acura (Honda's lux brand).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"They just don't last as long as foreign cars."

I think I agree with what you're saying.

But American cars are average cars. The worst is by far South Korea (Kia).

The Japanese make the most reliable cars.

AlphaSnake

Accord and Camry are *not* neck and neck. Accords have always been faster than Camrys, especially the newest Accords.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Personally, i'll be going with an accord coupe 98/99 in a matter of months, i love the car :D

One of my friend has one, i just cant resist a car with such a fine ass :eek: I found some pics on the web that looks pretty much like his car, cept his is silver.

2132003102625AM11811.jpg

fc5a150c.jpg

Man i love that rear..

demon

AGH. I don't know wut 2 g3t! I guess I'll go and test drive a camry, accord and civic. Like I said, I'm willing to make a few sacrifices for power, including engine noise.

And yeah, that Honda is one sexy car. The body kinda reminds me of the Prelude, which I also really like the look of (a simple, sleek look).

if you afford it, get a Porsche 911 2nd hand.. no more problems getting a girlfriend.

or more realisticly. I would settle down for a Mazda MX5 / Miata (depending on where you live).
They are built to last. Everything is better built then it has to be.
Engine is from the 323 GTR Turbo, except the turbo.. so its engine is strong!
Roadhandling is from Mazda RX7, and so on.

its only wheights 900kg, and has 118hp, which makes it handle really good
on the road. It looks pretty cool aswell, and its a cab so you can enjoy the sun.

best part is that they are really cheap aswell.. here you find a good one for $5000.
For $8000, you get a real cool one, with a installed rollbar (be sure its a REAL rollbar
and not one of those fake-just coollooking ones)
And new seasts like, a set of sparcos. r-tires and stuff.

It will make your car the best handlign trackcar in the neighborhood.

http://www.autoseekandsell.com/userimages/car side view.jpg wroom! :)

demon

The MX5 is only a two-seater though, right? I kinda wanted a 4-seater.....damn.....

demon

Also, are there any not-so-obvious disadvantages to getting a convertible? Are they broken into more often/more easily? Is the climate control as effective (when the top is up, obviously)? etc etc...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
ballhog said:
I got a 94 celica about four years ago with 120k. It's a little over 180k now and i have had no trouble with it at all. Most reliable car I've ever owned. I have had terrible luck with VW, and so has everyone I have ever known who has had one.

Yeah, they're pretty unreliable, and I think their service staff isn't all that well trained. They tend to rely on VAG-COM codes and not bother doing any actual diagnostics, so you end up having to bring your car in several times until they finally figure out what's actually the problem.

I still love my Beetles, though. I haven't had too many problems with them, myself, but know plenty of people who have.

fart

Savant
this forum is not the place to ask.

also subarus are lot more common in the northwest, not so much on the east coast.

if you do look for a sub watch out for HEAD GASKETS
they pop them like bubblegum iirc 90-99 or something. 2k+ is safe i think? ask somewhere else

fart

Savant
dunno there are some non-tards on the SA car forum, usually someone has a carfax unlimited account at least. the rest are all manufacturer specific. car fanboys are worse than video game fanboys. far worse.

the lesson is probably that you'll have to do your own research

TRUST NO ONE

AntoneM

Contour_SVT.jpg

1998.5 Contour SVT (they did some changes mid year 98) I've had mine for 3 years it's at 110k miles with no major problems, nothing that has cost me over $250 and that was only once, and it's still going stong.

---edit----
^^ this obviously isn't mine

Neo_ZX

Accord and Camry are *not* neck and neck. Accords have always been faster than Camrys, especially the newest Accords.

Well depends on what model too.

Best V6 Camry is 225 hp @ 5600 rpm / 240 lb.-ft. @ 3600 rpm
Best V6 Accord is 240 hp @ 6250 rpm / 212 lb.-ft. @ 5000 rpm

Hondas rev higher but have a bit more kick. Still I think it'd be tough to find a either of these cars less than 3 years old in your price range.

demon

Are there any differences I should know about between the 2-door and 4-door Accords and Civics, besides the obvious difference in number of doors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom