• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GG Isuka/Samurai 5 PS2 Initial (QUICK) Impressions

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Picked up both Guilty Gear Isuka and Samurai Spirits Zero today after class. Haven't had too much time to mess with them, but just thought I'd post a few thoughts.

First off, SS5 seems to be a very well-done port. Not much has been added, but there IS a much-needed training mode, and Yumeji and Sankuro, two of the three bosses, are fully playable right from the start. Amazingly, the game actually has an ARRANGED SOUNDTRACK, which is a first for Playmore. It's not too bad, but I have to say that SNK's arranged SS soundtracks sounded better. Only real negative is the load time, which is slightly longer than other fighting games, but nothing that's going to kill the game in any way. I don't think most people will bother buying this title though, seeing as SS0 Special will also be coming to the PS2 as early as the fall.

As for GG Isuka, what's "wrong" with this game that Famitsu had to give it such a low score? The game seems to be a perfect(?) port of the arcade version, and Sammy has crammed in some nice extras, including a Robo Ky II construction mode (which appears to be another Robo Ky whose moves/attributes you can customize), color edit mode, and a cool beat-em-up mode, as well as an original new character, who is not playable from the start, so I can't really comment on her. The game seems like a lot of fun, although I don't see it being as "serious" as GGX #Reload, which may explain why Isuka isn't as popular in arcades here in Tokyo. The Dust button is gone (back to GGX style...yay!), but in its place, you have to use a fifth button to change direction, and a sixth for jumping in the BEU mode. It certainly takes some getting used to, but I can see a lot of potential for some awesome multiplayer battles. Hopefully Sammy will also bring this game to Xbox; it would be great on Xbox Live.

Drexon

Banned
It's just like final fight. =) You can walk up and down (you know, like in final fight) and there's hoards of enemys on the screen, only they suck and you have all the moves of your GG character. Well, they don't suck really, I died on the second level, really quite entertaining. As for the game in general I'm a little disappointed. As Otou-san said it doesn't feel like as serious as the #Reload installation. The dust move has been slaughtered to not go as high (and therefore your old dust combos doesn't work), the turn button bugged the living hell out of me, as I often 'woke up' facing the wrong way, confused as to wich way you should block. You also can't tell when you've buffered the turn or not. There's also the 'jump into the background move' wich I haven't figured out yet. I think there's like 3 of those moves. One where you kick your opponent onto the other lane, one where you enter the lane with an attack and one where you just jump into lane. Never used one of 'em. :p

Still, get some friends toghether (and buy a switch thing -.-) and this could very well be a fully qualified multi-player game.

I've heard the loading in SSV loads just as long as the fighting games presented during the PSX era. Something about 9 seconds for the start-up screen and between 5 seconds for each match. Is this true?

Argyle

What's "wrong" with Guilty Gear Isuka is not that the port is necessarily bad (I haven't played the port) but that the game itself sucked ass to begin with.

Four player fighting is a neat concept but having to manually turn around sucks. And no, you can't block hits from behind. The game is still broken even in two player mode, since you'll still have to turn around manually...

They would have been better off adding a block button, IMHO :p

Here are some secrets for GG Isuka as posted by Iggy from the Madman's Cafe:

1. Defeat 160 characters in GGB mode?/survival mode? to obtain the EX characters.

2. Leopardon (the last boss) is playable once you accomplish over 200 wins in GGB mode?/ survival mode?, however, he is only playable in versus mode.

3. There also a color edit mode in this game!!!

-------------------------------------------------------
OT: Seems as though King of Fighter's 2003 for the PS2 is being released on October 28 with several new features such as an arranged soundtrack and hi-res sprites (reported by Cain from snk-capcom)?????

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/nojima-gam.../436110/535966/

Brofist

Played GG Isuka, SSZ, and the latest release of SF III...and for the life of me I can't figure it out, but this style of games does absolutely nothing for me now. OTOH Gradius V I've been playing like it's fucking crack.

Brofist

Lyte Edge said:
Only real negative is the load time, which is slightly longer than other fighting games, but nothing that's going to kill the game in any way. I don't think most people will bother buying this title though, seeing as SS0 Special will also be coming to the PS2 as early as the fall.

Load times are 2 seconds max playing it off HD Loader.

Argyle said:
What's "wrong" with Guilty Gear Isuka is not that the port is necessarily bad (I haven't played the port) but that the game itself sucked ass to begin with.

Four player fighting is a neat concept but having to manually turn around sucks. And no, you can't block hits from behind. The game is still broken even in two player mode, since you'll still have to turn around manually...

They would have been better off adding a block button, IMHO :p
exactly...a button to turn around? what the fuck is that?

Lyte Edge

kpop100 said:
Much longer, in the 10 sec range.

Only for the initial loads, then it's around 6 seconds afterwards. That's not bad, but around the same level as SFA3 for the PSX/Saturn, and is disappointing seeing as how other games have 1-3 second load times.

Lyte Edge

Speaking of fighters....

From Magic-Box:
SNK Playmore announced they will release the PS2 port of the arcade fighting game The King of Fighters 2003 in Japan on October 28, similar to the previous PS2 ports, KOF2003 will feature new 3D backgrounds, arranged soundtracks and a classic 3 vs 3 Team Fighting Mode.

Awesome....3D BGs, transparent/blurred special move effects, high res, an arranged soundtrack, AND a KOF 2002 style team mode?! Best. KOF. EVER? This might as well be an Atomiswave game. :D

Lyte Edge

The Faceless Master said:
exactly...a button to turn around? what the fuck is that?

Something new? (Okay, yeah, MK Mythologies...but I'm talking GOOD games here) I suppose it would have been either a turn around button or a block button...

Lyte Edge

Anyanka said:
Doesn't Chaos on PS2 have an arranged soundtrack?

So like, is this the version with the censored fatalities?

No, Chaos doesn't, nor does KOF 2002 (released after Chaos). I'm glad that Playmore is using arranged soundtracks, now, though, and you still get the option of using the original tracks too.

SS5 never had fatalities to begin with, so yeah, it's "censored." It will be interesting to see what happens with SS5 Special when it hits the PS2, though. I'm betting that the SS5 PS2 port is just a way for Playmore to get some cash before they release Special, which will probably use the same arranged soundtrack, then have a bunchk of extra effects and 3D backgrounds like the other games they are porting have.

Next up is KOF Maximum Impact in about two weeks.

Lyte Edge

Anyanka said:
So then what recent SS release has the missing fatals people were bitching about a few days ago? Special?

Yeah. The bitching came from the arcade/MVS board version having the fatality moves, which were removed from the AES cart version. SNK Playmore always has their games censored in English mode (as in usually, blood is white, and Mai doesn't bounce, and only Mai, even if the game has other bouncy characters...go figure), but this was a first. AFAIK they've actually done a recall; I haven't seen the game for sale anywhere here in Tokyo, either.

Top Bottom