• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ginos/Guidos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool

Banned
Is this a problem in your hometown?

communityalbums.cgi

Dilbert

Tool said:
Obviously this isn't a problem in your home town.
What is meant by "this?" You just posted a link with no context, under a thread title which is vaguely offensive to Italians.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
i don't think tool is fond of darker toned folk who wear earrings and put gel in their hair.

Loki

Count of Concision
You mean guys like the ones in the picture? Yeah, we have a few of those around here, considering I'm from Brooklyn, "guido" capital of the world (I'm Italian-- non-guido :D).

Alucard

Banned
Tool said:
Is this a problem in your hometown?

communityalbums.cgi

Stereotyped, yes. But annoying nonetheless. I see guys like this hanging around outside of Tim Horton's coffee shops and blaring their dance music out of their suped up Civics with bass far too thick for the car.

Tool

Banned
Loki said:
You mean guys like the ones in the picture? Yeah, we have a few of those around here, considering I'm from Brooklyn, "guido" capital of the world (I'm Italian-- non-guido :D).

Glad I'm not alone in this. Thanks.

Loki

Count of Concision
Tool said:
Glad I'm not alone in this. Thanks.

Yeah, though only two of the guys in that picture (the two on the left) exhibit the true "guido look". :D

Basically, guys who look (and, worse, ACT) like that are all you see at the bars/lounges/clubs in Brooklyn (Bay Ridge, to be precise). If you head to the city, you get a better mix of people, but the guidos are still pretty much ubiquitous. Guidos and thugs, thugs and guidos. Choose your poison here in NY. :p

Never heard the slang "ginos", however-- must be a local thing.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm from Long Island, nuff said... this place is guido city, everybody I know's last name ends in a vowel :p Can't stand them, myself... they make me embarassed to be part Italian... their muscle shirts, IROC cars, loud hiphop or KTU style "dance" music (to call the stuff they listen to real dance music is an insult to real fans)... going to sleazeball clubs and grinding with women. Grr...

Loki - My g/f is originally from Bay Ridge... she's not a guido tho... seemed like a nice area when we went there, but didn't see too many guidos, I guess I see enough out here in Suffolk :p

From what I gather, gino is basically the Ontario/Toronto version of guido.

Loki

Count of Concision
djtiesto said:
I'm from Long Island, nuff said... this place is guido city, everybody I know's last name ends in a vowel :p Can't stand them, myself... they make me embarassed to be part Italian... their muscle shirts, IROC cars, loud hiphop or KTU style "dance" music (to call the stuff they listen to real dance music is an insult to real fans)... going to sleazeball clubs and grinding with women. Grr...

Loki - My g/f is originally from Bay Ridge... she's not a guido tho... seemed like a nice area when we went there, but didn't see too many guidos, I guess I see enough out here in Suffolk :p

From what I gather, gino is basically the Ontario/Toronto version of guido.

Yeah, Long Island, Staten Island, and parts of Jersey have quite possibly officially supplanted Brooklyn as the "guido capital of the free world". I'd reckon they have a higher guido-per-meter-squared ratio than Brooklyn, presently; the thing is, all the guido remnants that we're stuck with here in Bklyn seem to congregate in Bay Ridge, and even then, only at night near the trendy spots.

Fortunately, "guidettes" went out of style about 13 years ago or so, and consequently there are scant few female cuzines (sp? It's another Italian slang word) left anymore. So I'm not surprised that your GF isn't a guidette. :p They just don't exist anymore-- the male version, however, seems to be some doggedly persistent, purulent lesion on the collective ass of Brooklyn. :D

And yeah, Bay Ridge is a very nice (read: affluent) area.

Loki

Count of Concision
Tool said:
Do you guys know about "Stevie B"? I think he relates into the whole Guido/Gino sub-culture.

Dude, you can't be over 25 years old in Brooklyn and NOT know who Stevie B is. :p

"Party Your Body" >>> j0o :D

And "The Postman Song" threw all the ladies into a tizzy back in the day. :p

Tool

Banned
Loki said:
Dude, you can't be over 25 years old in Brooklyn and NOT know who Stevie B is. :p

"Party Your Body" >>> j0o :D

And "The Postman Song" threw all the ladies into a tizzy back in the day. :p

Loki you have to be an ex-gino. These lyrics have to bring a tear to your eye:

Spring Love
Stevie B

I remember when we first started
You came to me and you were broken hearted
I took you in and wiped all your tears away
I gave you lovin' more than any other gave
Don't you know I'm the one and I love you girl
I don't care what they say, you know you are my world
Come back home to the one who loves you more and more
So you'll see it was me you were searching for

(Chorus) Spring love, come back to me (5 times)

I remember the first time we ever met
The sun was shining, love was gleaming in the air
You caught my eye and the next thing that I knew
I was in love, I was so in love with you
We were so close for a season of my life
I wanted so much to have you for my wife
But something changed, the season came to an end
I had to leave you and that's where my heartache began

Loki

Count of Concision
Tool said:
Loki you have to be an ex-gino. These lyrics have to bring a tear to your eye:

Nope, I wasn't ever a gino/guido, though I did play ball and grow up with a LOT of them-- after all, Carlo Gambino (head of the eponymous NY crime family which later featured John Gotti) lived a few blocks from me and pretty much ran this neighborhood before his death in 1987. So I grew up around all Italians, basically-- the good ones along with all the gangsta wannabes and other assorted riff-raff.

And yes, "Spring Love" does rock. I was never into the whole "freestyle" thing, but that song is pretty good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom