• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give Me Some Faith In Metal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tt_deeb

I like to keep a diverse taste in music and metal seems to be my main problem. Although its arguably the most talented modern-day genre I can't seem to find a band that keeps my interest. A lot of the times Metal comes off to me as very ego-driven, lame, silly, and wanky. I usually don't like bands for either taking themselves too seriously ( I laugh at most of the stuff I see on Uranium, every other band seems like a gimmicky joke band) Other bands I dislike are wankfests that although have extreme amounts of talent don't appeal to me songwriting wise. I have Dream Theater's "Scenes From A Memory" and although its good and I like it I most of the time relate it to the previous comment.

It's hard for me to name other bands I've checked out but a friend always recommends me stuff and I check out individual songs and they are appealing but everything seems so same soundy. It really surprises me when bands are making songs so epic-like and complex that they keep having to outdo their act every other song. I've checked out several Symphony X songs put up on their site awhile back. Couldn't really get into them either however I'm listening to them right now and hoping to. One band that I do remember being related to stuff that I like was Estradasphere which seemed to be more experimental from what I remember. I don't think Dillinger Escape Plan is considered metal but they also interest me with their involvment with Mike Patton. I've checked out clips of bands like Nightwish and Kamelot which supposedly have such superior song writing skills to what I listen to says a friend but I just can't get into it despite how much more complex they may be.

Is metal just not my style maybe? I'd like to think that not to be the case because I really wanted to expand my taste more. Despite all the different types of metal genres and how diverse it sounds on paper, when I start listening I get terribly bored and I think most of the modern-day stuff lacks any originality or sense of epicness, mood, and atmosphere despite how much the bands try to come off that way; it always just ends up lame and overdone to me.

I hope some of you can recommend me some essential metal albums of the last decade or so to get me into the genre. Try to take what I've already mentioned into consideration and just give me something melodic, well thought out, but also very genuine and not corny like most stuff does come off to me. Another band a friend tried to get me into that I have not tried out yet is Ark which might be worth it.

Kefkaff

Banned
Pain of Salvation - The Perfect Element
Edge of Sanity - Crimson II
Edge of Sanity - Crimson I

Those are some album recommendations for ya :p

DEP are considered Metal, "Mathcore" if ya wanna get genre specific ;) Their project with Patton is fucking awesome if I do say so myself. Only 4 songs though, which kinda sucks.

I'm more into Prog-Metal/Rock so I don't have a lot of metal, per say.

Here some songs by specific artists you should check out:

Symphony X - The Odyssey
Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
Spock's Beard - At The End of the Day
Spock's Beard - The Great Nothing
Pain of Salvation - People Passing By
Nevermore - The Heart Collector
Nevermore - The River Dragon has Come

Thats about all I can give ya. Oh, and as the person above said... have you heard any Iced Earth or Blind Guardian? :p

Falch

I second the suggestion of that Pain Of Salvation album, along with 'remedy lane'.

If you're looking for melodic death metal, check out Opeth's 'blackwater park'. For brutal death metal, see At The Gates' "Slaughter Of The Soul".

More rock than metal (though with metal roots) is Anathema. IMO their best album is 'judgment', but you really can't go wrong with any of their albums.

And than some random favorites of my: Postman Syndrome's 'Terraforming', Sikth's 'The Trees Are Dead And Dried Out Wait For Something Wild', Mastodon's 'Remission' and As I Lay Dying's 'Frail Words Collapse'.

Oh and Italian metal is great: Ephel Duath, Novembre and Disarmonia Mundi, all technical with being a "wankfest". :)

nitewulf

well, may be power metal isnt your thing? even then, i'd recommed falconer, i like them a lot because they keep the technicality to a minimum, its just good old fashioned metal with very fast drumming. aside from that how about old stuff like maiden? old metallica and megadeth are fantastic as well. ill just recommend some songs i guess,

power:
falconer - heresy in disguise
falconer - mind traveller
falconer - royal galley
falconer - the clarion call
dragonforce - my spirit will go on (download free from amazon)
dragonforce - fury of the storm

gothic:
charon - death can dance
charon - failed
charon - religious delicious (hell their whole "the dying daylights" album is great goth metal)
lacuna coil - comalies (album) they are pop-metal, very catchy, fun stuff. female lead vocals.
moi dix mois - la dix croix (japanese)
moi dix mois - temptation
moi dix mois - forbidden

god forbid - anti hero (politically conscious thrash, not my thing but they are smart lyrically)
god forbid - better days

and also anything by opeth and sevendust.

Dillinger Escape Plan is hardcore. They have a new release out (or coming soon) called Miss Machine. What I heard of it was quite good if you're into that stuff.

Other bands in that vein that I feel are worth the time are Error (has more of an electronica/industrial vibe), Blood Brothers and Scraps and Heart Attacks. Edit - And Fall of Troy.

I second the Anathema suggestion. Awesome band, just be aware most of their stuff is an import.

ElyrionX

If you are looking for epic, look no further than Rhapsody. Check out their album "Symphony of Enchanted Lands".

Also, Avantasia's The Seven Angels is truly one of the most epic and majestic metal song out there today. Do check it out if you can. Its from the album "The Metal Opera Part 2". Blind Guardian's And Then There Was Silence is also another amazing epic track.

The band, Edguy is one of the premier power metal bands out there today. Their latest album, Hellfire Club, kicks a whole lot of ass. Very powerful vocals and great arrangement on their tracks too.

Sonanta Arctica is another great power metal band with a lot of synthesized classical sounds. Do check them out especially if you like music from games like Castlevania.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Integrity's release from late last year was pretty solid as far as recent metal goes. Shadows Fall's Of One Blood is probably my favorite metal release in the last few years (art of balance was just not good though) along with Between the Buried and Me's The Silent Circus which came out late last year and is absolutely amazing, imo.

Raxel

Masterplan have the same vocalist as Ark (Jorn Lande), and are the biggest supergroup to hit the metal scene recently. The songwriting is more hard rock based than most power metal bands, and there's no extended solos. Check them out! They only have one song with cheesy lyrics, but the rest of the material is great stuff.

dem

The problem is youre listening to that fancy pants metal.

Its time for some SLIPKNOT dood

nitewulf mentioned Falconer, and I have to wholeheatedly recommend them as well. If you only download one track from them, I recommend you listen to "The Coronation." If that doesn't have you hooked, well then, I'm sorry buddy, but there's no hope for you. :)

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Dude, Trivium. Trust me. Awesome, awesome metal band. Check out their newest CD. You won't regret it.

soakrates

One band that I've been really into recently is Nocturnal Rites, particularly their last two albums. They take the basic power metal formula and make it considerably denser and heavier, often eschewing the neoclassical and fantasy themes that the genre is all too known for.

Also, check out Angra, who are in my mind the best melodic power metal band working today. They write some of the most immensely infecious riffs and melodies I've ever heard, and they also incorporate quite a bit of Brazilian culture into their overall sound, to great effect. "Holy Land" and "Rebirth" are their two best releases.

I can second the recommendation for Ark. Mastermind is pretty cool too from what I've heard.

If you can track down any of their stuff, you might also check out the now-defunct Conception. Tore Otsby, their guitarist, is currently a member of Ark.

tt_deeb

Last night I had a dream I was in some foreign country's mall and I finally found a CD store in it and I was trying to remember all the band names you guys were saying. Everything was so expensive and it was hard navigating around the store to find the metal section and stuff. I was taking too long in the store (I always do) so my friends decided to leave me there.

But, yeah, thanks for the recommendations so far.

B000000OB3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There ya go. Faith, and Metal, all wrapped up in one package.

nitewulf

tt_deeb said:
Last night I had a dream I was in some foreign country's mall and I finally found a CD store in it and I was trying to remember all the band names you guys were saying. Everything was so expensive and it was hard navigating around the store to find the metal section and stuff. I was taking too long in the store (I always do) so my friends decided to leave me there.

But, yeah, thanks for the recommendations so far.

you're kidding right?

ElyrionX

dem said:
The problem is youre listening to that fancy pants metal.

Its time for some SLIPKNOT dood

You can't be serious...........

Isn't Slipknot one of those bands (along with Korn and RATM) that started the whole trendy nu-metal bullshit that we hear a lot of these days?

Ecrofirt

I also recommend Edguy and Freedom Call.

Here's a link to one of the tracks on Edguy's newest CD. Give it a listen for two reasons. First, it's a hilarious song, and second because I said so.

Their whole CD isn't like that, just that track. They're awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom