• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLAAD Media Award Nominees Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Website. Long list.

HR link.

For the first time since 2003, GLAAD's outstanding film (wide release) category, which recognizes films with LGBTQ-inclusive storylines, has just two nominees.

"For nearly 30 years, the GLAAD Media Awards have set the bar for media representations of LGBTQ people," GLAAD president and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said in a statement. "At a time when progress is at a critical juncture, it is imperative that Hollywood tell more LGBTQ stories that reflect the community’s rich diversity – and build understanding that brings all communities closer together. This year's nominees have created images and storylines that challenge misconceptions and broaden understanding, accelerating acceptance and equality for LGBTQ people across the globe."

game-boi

I can see it now...

[Character on the cover of arguably the biggest game of 2016 comes out as lesbian]

GLAAD: Nope, nothing in games again. What are those kids at The Bold And The Beautiful up to? Let's make a category just for them again!

As a gay man, I get more and more impatient with GLAAD's backwards view of media and its nearly complete blindspot for games / interactive experiences. I know that a few years ago they gave EA a special recognition award for Dragon Age, but they're clearly behind the times here. They should be treating games as "real" media.

maxcriden

Hm, I'm surprised This is Us isn't nominated. I think their depiction of a gay African American man is pretty progressive and they make him a fully developed character for whom his sexual orientation is just one of many things that comprise who he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom