• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gladiator 2 Trailer

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Looks suitably epic, but hopefully the trailer is slightly deceptive and it doesn't tread the same path as the first movie too closely.

winjer

Gold Member
This looks like trash.
The rap music. The rhino cgi. The gladiator costumes.
The people who made this don't give a flying fuck about their own movie. Especially Ridley.

And ffs, they have ancient Romans calling the Flavian Amphitheater, as the Colosseum.

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Y2kzNFG.gif

Visually looks good but that music. They should have played "Not like us" or something 🤣

Made by people who don’t understand why the first is still loved? It looks like what they did with 300 (2) Rise of an Empire unfortunately.
Well I think it was pretty successful? Though I did not even know that there was a continuation of "Leonidas and his gym bros vs the woke crowd".

Last edited:

Davesky

Now just wait for the overly melodramatic Now We Are Free trailer.

La la da pa da le na da na
Ve va da pa da le na la dumb da

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
The opening scene in Gladiator, the one that takes place in Germania... that by itself shits all over this trailer.
Still, I'll want to give it a watch just to see how inept hollywood has gotten. Gladiator was memorable throughout the whole movie.
It was such a good movie in that, you rooted for multiple characters and despise others.
In retrospect, it really was an engaging experience that isn't easily duplicated. Also, using, Lucius for the MC seems kind of lazy, but again... gonna see it. :messenger_weary:

And ffs, they have ancient Romans calling the Flavian Amphitheater, as the Colosseum.
It's almost like the film is in English for a modern audience or something.

Also the name Flavian Amphitheater wasn't used until late antiquity, hundreds of years after the events of these films. It would've just been called the amphitheater at the time.

winjer

Gold Member
It's almost like the film is in English for a modern audience or something.

Also the name Flavian Amphitheater wasn't used until late antiquity, hundreds of years after the events of these films. It would've just been called the amphitheater at the time.

We don't really know what the ancient Romans called it. Maybe it was just Amphitheater. Or maybe, they called it Flavian Amphitheater, because of the patronage that originated it. Or even Amphitheatrum Caesareum, as it's referred in some poetry.
But what it wasn't called at the time, is Colosseum.

And let's not pretend that modern audiences are that stupid, that they can't understand that the Flavian Amphitheater is the Colosseum.

We don't really know what the ancient Romans called it. Maybe it was just Amphitheater. Or maybe, they called it Flavian Amphitheater, because of the patronage that originated it. Or even Amphitheatrum Caesareum, as it's referred in some poetry.

And let's not pretend that modern audiences are that stupid, that they can't understand that the Flavian Amphitheater is the Colosseum.
I don't think anybody cares about historical accuracy really - after all the events of the original movie did not happen.

winjer

Gold Member
I don't think anybody cares about historical accuracy really - after all the events of the original movie did not happen.

Plenty of people do. Just look at the dislike ratio. It's getting closer to 50-50 slip.
And mind you, I'm talking about small things, that only people with PHDs in Roman History can detect.
This movie was done is such a sloppy way, that there are so many evident mistakes.
The original movie had mistakes, but nothing as bad as this one.

violence

The emperor looks a little less goofy than those initial photos. I watch the first movie every year and a sequel can only ruin it’s special status for me. I guess if you’re gonna do another one, may as well do it while theaters still exist.

Rap music in the movie wouldn’t surprise me these days.

aghHNWv.jpeg

Last edited:
Plenty of people do. Just look at the dislike ratio. It's getting closer to 50-50 slip.
Let's not pretend that isn't because there are black people in the film.

Anyway, its a sword and sandal. An epic, not a documentary. They are allowed to take liberties, like how the saddles had stirrups in the first film. Thematically it looks right even if not 100% accurate for the first century AD.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23

They probably called it "We don't want to be reminded of NERO anymore so we tore down his golden palace and built this colosseum in its place"

I care about an attempt of some historical accuracy.

winjer

Gold Member
Let's not pretend that isn't because there are black people in the film.

Anyway, its a sword and sandal. An epic, not a documentary. They are allowed to take liberties, like how the saddles had stirrups in the first film. Thematically it looks right even if not 100% accurate for the first century AD.

I doubt that it's because of black people in the movie. There were black people in major Roman cities.
And Rome being the center of the empire, it was normal to have people from Asia and Africa. Even the Han dynasty tried to send a delegation to Rome.

Being an Epic, does not mean they can't strive for historical accuracy. There isn't even a question of cost.
The reality is that the people making this movie don't care one bit about what they are doing.
We have epic historical movies from the 1950s and 60s, that tried to be historically accurate, despite the limitations of the time.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

And that's a huge problem, especially if the audience doesn't know the difference.

Making historically inaccurate films or TV shows means people will just believe they're true and accurate. Do you think the majority will do their research afterwards? Lol, no. They'll just believe whatever they see as fact.

winjer

Gold Member
They probably called it "We don't want to be reminded of NERO anymore so we tore down his golden palace and built this colosseum in its place"

The curious thing is that Nero, for several decades, was regarded as a good emperor in Rome, as he passed several laws that benefited the people.
For quite a while, several Roman politicians even claimed they were descended from Nero, as to gain the support of the populace.
It was only when the Roman empire turned to Christianism, that his reputation turned bad, as expected, since he did persecute early Roman Christians.

A similar thing happened with Ancient Egypt. Because of Christian beliefs, for close to 2 millennia, Christians despised it.
It was only in the XIX century that this started to shift, as modern archeology started to uncover ancient Egyptian history, igniting an interest in the subject.
And today we love it, despite how bad the Old Testament portrays it.

Tieno

Who approved this trailer? The music choice is god awful for a sequel to Gladiator, which has one of the best movie scores. Feels like one of those fake trailers.
Such a misfire.
Can't wait for a fan recut of this trailer with gladiator music on it to see if it feels any different.

Last edited:
I doubt that it's because of black people in the movie. There were black people in major Roman cities.
And Rome being the center of the empire, it was normal to have people from Asia and Africa. Even the Han dynasty tried to send a delegation to Rome.
Exactly, the Romans didn't really care about skin color to the point they barely recorded it.

Honestly I'm not really seeing anything in the trailer that is egregiously ahistorical.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
A similar thing happened with Ancient Egypt. Because of Christian beliefs, for close to 2 millennia, Christians despised it.
It was only in the XIX century that this started to shift, as modern archeology started to uncover ancient Egyptian history, igniting an interest in the subject.
And today we love it, despite how bad the Old Testament portrays it.

As a reader of the old Testament, everyone like the Egyptians until the regime change and enslaving of the Hebrews. When Joseph was there, everyone thought they were cool.

clarky

Gold Member
Surprised its not called Gladiators.

" Colonists on a remote island get orders from from Rome to check out a strange Spanish ship crashed on the coast. When all contact is lost with the conlony, Rome then sends in a elite group of soldiers in to investigate only to find island over run with GLADIATORS.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Exactly, the Romans didn't really care about skin color to the point they barely recorded it.

Honestly I'm not really seeing anything in the trailer that is egregiously ahistorical.

They did care about skin color and they wrote about it. There wasn't discrimination similar to Jim Crow laws. Or slavery that targeted one specific race group.
But there were references to race. And there were cases of open racist and violence.

For example, Pliny the Elder at one point described the characteristics or northern Europeans. South Europeans. And Africans.
He was a bit derisive of northern Europeans. He praised southern Europeans, as one expects, considering he was one. And he was more critical of Africans.

I also remember a situation when a Roman legion was getting ready to march out to battle in a town in North Africa.
At the exit there was a black African man and he started cheering for the Romans.
The Romans looked at this skin at considered it a bad omen, beat him and killed him on the spot.
And this was not some random exception.

Let's also remember that some of the roles in which each gladiator was trained in, was dependent on the race of the individual.

So although Romans didn't have the same concept of racism we have today, they did see skin color and often discriminated against it.

Top Bottom