• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gladiator 2 Trailer

Toons

tweR0CT.jpeg

Time to retire Ridley.

I can guarantee you ridley doesn't give a rats ass about dislikes on youtube

winjer

Gold Member
Considering the reception to this trailer and the cost of the movie, it's starting to look like this will be a flop.
Ridley might not care about the dislikes on the trailer, but he cares a lot about money.

O82FS1s.png

SJRB

Gold Member
Considering the reception to this trailer and the cost of the movie, it's starting to look like this will be a flop.
Ridley might not care about the dislikes on the trailer, but he cares a lot about money.

O82FS1s.png

People can dislike the trailer but still go see the movie.

All I see is the trailer getting ridiculed for the inappropriate and goofy use of rap music. I see a lot of hype about the Colosseum naval battle, which indeed looks dope.

I guess Denzel's character will become the emperor somewhere either in the middle of the movie, considering that one of the main confrontations between the general and the main guy will happen in the arena, thus it requires general to be a prisoner.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
What does that have to do with my comment?

Your post looked like you thought Denzel is playing a random person on par with his part in Training Day. I think the difference in accents (British vs American) is that he's not native Roman.

violence

Denzel is most likely from another continent. Probably sub-Saharan Africa. Therefore, he talks like an American.

Eiknarf

Banned
Do any of the leads here have the charm and charisma that Russell Crowe brought to “Maximus”? If not, then no, it will not fair as well as the original

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Well the whole movie and the original are loosely based on the real history. It has always been the case.

Personally I am surprised that there is no Hans Zimmer there.

Which is one my main issues with the original and Hollywood historical epics. They're so loosely based and inaccurate that they may as well be fantasy.

I'm not expecting people to speak Latin and to have Macrinus played by an an Algerian actor (although that would be awesome as North Africans get shafted when it comes to representation on film), but when the story is so vastly different from fact then is becomes farcical.

Which is one my main issues with the original and Hollywood historical epics. They're so loosely based and inaccurate that they may as well be fantasy.
Well those epics are mainly about aesthetics, feelings and some scenes from time to time. Granted the imagination in the Hollywood has been on decline for quite a while.

I'm not expecting people to speak Latin and to have Macrinus played by an an Algerian actor (although that would be awesome as North Africans get shafted when it comes to representation on film), but when the story is so vastly different from fact then is becomes farcical.
Well, it is an american movie 🤷‍♂️

Meh. It doesn't seem like the worst movie of all time but a pretty shitty Gladiator 2
I wonder how it compares to Rome TV series.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Extremely loosely based then. As in, they share the same name only.

You're right. The history of historical Macrinus and the movie's Macrinus are completely different. He's a former slave, not aristocracy.

Likewise, we don't know Hannibal's race either... I'm mentioning him because Denzel is also playing him... Because Tunisia at that time was pretty diverse with Asians and Africans and everything in-between so he could have been any racial makeup... But his looks don't matter as much as his military prowess.

And there were black pharaohs and black people all up and down Africa. The darker skinned didn't just stay in sub-saharan Africa. Nubian empire conquered and ruled Egypt multiple times... Black Africans weren't only slaves in North Africa and other places.

Last edited:

IDKFA

You're right. The history of historical Macrinus and the movie's Macrinus are completely different. He's a former slave, not aristocracy.

Very different from looking at the trailer. I'm not talking about the race either. Just the whole story of the man.

Likewise, we don't know Hannibal's race either... I'm mentioning him because Denzel is also playing him... Because Tunisia at that time was pretty diverse with Asians and Africans and everything in-between so he could have been any racial makeup... But his looks don't matter as much as his military prowess.

We have a good idea. We know he was Phoenician, who would have resembled people from modern day Lebanon. There are busts and coins we can reference as primary sources. The man wasn't white, but unlikely he would have looked like Denzel.

I actually cannot believe Denzel is playing him. He's far too old and I can't imagine him doing the role justice.

And there were black pharaohs and black people all up and down Africa. The darker skinned didn't just stay in sub-saharan Africa. Nubian empire conquered and ruled Egypt multiple times... Black Africans weren't only slaves in North Africa and other places.

Absolutely. Africa has a rich and vibrant history that is just as exciting as Europe. It's about fucking time Hollywood started telling the stories of Africa, but not just Egypt. It's been done before.

Ever heard of Nzinga? Now her story would make a great film. The African queen who went to war and beat the Portuguese.

Tell me that wouldn't make a great film?

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Absolutely. Africa has a rich and vibrant history that is just as exciting as Europe. It's about fucking time Hollywood started telling the stories of Africa, but not just Egypt. It's been done before.

Ever heard of Nzinga? Now her story would make a great film. The African queen who went to war and beat the Portuguese.

Tell me that wouldn't make a great film?

There is that one dude that had so much gold in Africa that he cause gold to be essentially worthless everywhere he went. Mansa Musa I think

The Ethiopians have some interesting history. Queen of Sheeba.

winjer

Gold Member
There is that one dude that had so much gold in Africa that he cause gold to be essentially worthless everywhere he went. Mansa Musa I think

The Ethiopians have some interesting history. Queen of Sheeba.

Yes, it was Mansa Musa, the richest man that ever lived.
But he didn't cause gold to become worthless, only to devalue a bit. Probably the only time in history.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
We really should demand stories other than Europe. We need writers making African (the CONTINENT is larger than the US and Europe combined with well north of 50 distinct countries) and South American, etc epics and the studio executives with the testicular fortitude to actually FUND them!

We really should demand stories other than Europe. We need writers making African (the CONTINENT is larger than the US and Europe combined with well north of 50 distinct countries) and South American, etc epics and the studio executives with the testicular fortitude to actually FUND them!
Well the thing is that like nobody knows them and thus not many people care. Everybody knows about vikings, everybody knows about roman empire, everybody knows about japan, everybody knows about Egypt, Greece etc.

But for example Turkey? Russia? India? Iran? And Africa has tons of countries but the most well known one probably Ethiopia I think. I think there is just not enough exposure and thus no interest in that. Even well known countries - like France - are portrayed in movies basically about either revolution or Napoleon. And all that while there was a bunch of Frankish kingdoms and ancient regime with its long history. And even with UK you have either Tudors or Richard I or fantasy about Arthur.

Unless those countries and regions will start exporting more of their culture, it will be all the same movies because there is just no interest in anything else.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Yeah fuck that Homer guy.

You must be referring to the Iliad.

An epic poem based on a conflict there is little to no evidence of. A conflict that scholars are still debating if it even happened at all. Also, like many epic poems of the day, it features Gods and other mythical creatures. It's not historical fiction.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
You must be referring to the Iliad.

An epic poem based on a conflict there is little to no evidence of. A conflict that scholars are still debating if it even happened at all. Also, like many epic poems of the day, it features Gods and other mythical creatures. It's not historical fiction.

I think the battle and siege happened. We just get a lot of flavor due to writing it a couple hundred years after the event.

much like Herodotus you get extra flavor around real stories.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Well the thing is that like nobody knows them and thus not many people care. Everybody knows about vikings, everybody knows about roman empire, everybody knows about japan, everybody knows about Egypt, Greece etc.

But for example Turkey? Russia? India? Iran? And Africa has tons of countries but the most well known one probably Ethiopia I think. I think there is just not enough exposure and thus no interest in that. Even well known countries - like France - are portrayed in movies basically about either revolution or Napoleon. And all that while there was a bunch of Frankish kingdoms and ancient regime with its long history. And even with UK you have either Tudors or Richard I or fantasy about Arthur.

Unless those countries and regions will start exporting more of their culture, it will be all the same movies because there is just no interest in anything else.

The only African stories I can think of that were made into movies or mini series were Shaka Zulu and The Woman King. As much as TWK may have gotten wrong, it was great to see something other than Knights and people with British accents and Roman Centurions, etc.

IDKFA

I think the battle and siege happened. We just get a lot of flavor due to writing it a couple hundred years after the event.

Sort of. I won't go into detail, but the jury is still out on the Trojan war.

much like Herodotus you get extra flavor around real stories.

Herodotus was writing history. He wanted to understand and tell people about a real historical event, that being the Greco-Persian War.

Homer, if that really was their name, was writing an epic poem. We also don't know if this was an original work. It could have been a verbal story handed down over generations that Homer decided to put into a poem. Either way, it wasn't meant to be historical fiction or history.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Of course is not gonna do the first movie numbers, i said that it's probably gonna do fine.
I don't know what's "fine" in today's profits. I feel as if it would need to draw huge numbers just to be in the "fine" category, but maybe I am reading too much into what makes Hollywood profitable?

I cant believe people are saying the trailer looks good. It looks terrible, like a fan made fiction. Its too clean, everything looks like a theatre setpiece, n grit, no drama. Denzel by voice and attitude as if he got teleported from The Training Day and put on a pair of slippers. If it didnt say, I honestly would think this was done by a completley different director.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I don't know what's "fine" in today's profits. I feel as if it would need to draw huge numbers just to be in the "fine" category, but maybe I am reading too much into what makes Hollywood profitable?
Yeah i guess it's hard to define fine...

I guess recovering from the costs and making a small surplus would be...fine?!

Last edited:

SCReuter

I'm not familiar with the lead actor, Paul Mescal, but he has the look and rawness to play a young James Bond, me thinks. :pie_thinking:

RaptorGTA

Hmmm....

The acting looked good, visual and set designed looked good. Trailer shows a lot but in the same breath..it's a sequel to Gladiator. I feel like....what else are you going to show us that we don't expect to see in this movie. It's like a horror movie sequel...we know the plot..it's just fun to see how everyone dies.

The music choice for the trailer was dumb. I think the music choice would be good for a 30 second tv/ad spot. But for this trailer, would have been better with some epic music with some Latin chanting. Yea it's cliche...but I think would set an expected tone.

I loved the first movie but have no interest to see this sequel.

Those posters are idiotic. Imagine trying to bring about the Sequel to fucking Gladiator, and doing that to the cast?
Reprehensible.
They got bamboozled by some photographer who sold em a story how having half their face cropped out, gives a mysterious vibe and make them look more menacing bla bla bla.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
They got bamboozled by some photographer who sold em a story how having half their face cropped out, gives a mysterious vibe and make them look more menacing bla bla bla.
Haha.... whatever. All I am saying is they should have done the cast Justice... they did no such thing.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I don't care about accents in these Roman historical epics. Most of the time they're just some accent from the UK anyways, even if they're supposed to be native Roman and not from some far-flung part of the empire. Russell Crowe played a Spaniard in the first movie and didn't even bother to adjust his Kiwi accent. So I'm perfectly fine with Denzel sounding like Denzel.

And if Denzel can't do a convincing accent from whatever region his character is supposed to come from then I'd rather just have him speak in his cold-ass regular voice rather than in some cringey obviously fake accent. I realize that none of this is real. I can suspend my disbelief.

Top Bottom