• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | November 2014 - The dark side beckons you on GOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minsc

Gold Member

y0eqgUk.png

rGNC6X4.png
GZD6h1Z.png
TjBrLy7.png
What is GOG? 100% DRM free games of the past and present available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Pay a few bucks, download an installer and play!
Thread info pt 1: Above: Links to GOG.com, GOG's forums, Recommended games by GAF members, MRORANGE's thread of PC gaming threads.
Thread info pt 2: Below: GOG's recent releases (current/past month), followed by a section of quotes for any of the recommended recent releases.
Past yearly threads: 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010

Classic LucasArts games are now on GOG thanks to Disney, which probably no one saw coming. Over a dozen more LucasArts games still to follow, hopefully
your favorites make the cut! We don't really mind GOG Galaxy being late anymore, this is much better. TIE Fighter gets the banner above, being one of the best
games ever made, but be warned if you're looking to revisit it, GOG has not yet obtained the DOS Collector's version that you probably remember playing.​
qlkfBD5.png

Week 48, 2014 (November 24th - November 30th)​

gXDEO6v.png

Week 47, 2014 (November 17th - November 23rd)​

- The Marvellous Miss Take (2014), Action (NeoGAF |OT|)
- Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms (2014), Action​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 46, 2014 (November 10th - November 16th)​

- This War of Mine (2014), Action
- Randal's Monday (2014), Adventure
- Mount & Blade: With Fire & Sword (2011), RPG
- Mount & Blade: Warband (2010), RPG
- Mount & Blade (2008), RPG
2014 GOG DRM-Free Big Fall Sale! (NeoGAF thread)
Mount & Blade Giveaway (NeoGAF thread)
gXDEO6v.png

Week 45, 2014 (November 3rd - November 9th)​

- A Bird Story (2014), Adventure
- Rocket Ranger (2014), Action
- Infested Planet (2014), Strategy
- Tales of Maj'Eyal (2012), RPG
- Lovely Planet (2014), Shooter​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 44, 2014 (October 27th - November 2nd)​

gXDEO6v.png

Week 43, 2014 (October 20th - October 26th)​

- Wings! Classic (1990), Action
- Kromaia (2014), Action
- Pier Solar and the Great Architects (2014), RPG
- Screencheat (2014), Shooter
- Halfway (2014), Strategy
- Supreme Ruler 2010 (2005), Strategy
- Dreamfall Chapters - Season Pass (2014), Action / Adventure
- Door Kickers (2014), Strategy
New major publisher coming to GOG (NeoGAF thread)​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 42, 2014 (October 13th - October 19th)​

- Wings! Remastered (2014), Action
- Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition (2013), RPG
- Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (2013), RPG
- Gex (1996), Action
- Smugglers V: Invasion (2014), RPG
- Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition (2014), Adventure
- Legend of Grimrock 2 (2014), RPG
- Starpoint Gemini 2 (2014), Action
Giveaway: Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 (free until Oct. 17, NeoGAF thread)​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 41, 2014 (October 6th - October 12th)​

- A Golden Wake (2014), Adventure
- TRI (2014), Adventure / Puzzle
- Din's Curse (2010), Action / RPG​
gXDEO6v.png

Week 40, 2014 (September 29th - October 5th)​

- Terraria (2011), Action
- DROD: The Second Sky (2014), RPG / Puzzle
- Mitsurugi Kamui Hikae (2014), Action​
gXDEO6v.png

Jzdi61x.png

tBgsCGG.png

hisJw9H.png

qY9KAji.png

Cmr0mXD.png

4aRGKeV.png

xEEOR1Y.png

SvO4kpZ.png

Ur8KP5m.png

2dsCfIv.png

jYHJcno.png

QB1qYi0.png

TWXC1Cz.png

B4Vdd2k.png

aIsyZWM.png

hex1Kw1.png

EACQp7S.png

xDtWIUm.png

terrisus

Hey Minsc, here's a new quote for me for Icewind Dale (off the top of my head, but better than the old one, since I didn't realize I was going to be quoted then) -

Hugely underappreciated, but actually the best Infinity Engine game. More combat-oriented than Baldur's Gate, but still a great story along the way as well. It tosses you right into things, and it's wonderful the whole way through.

Card Boy

Banned
Sam & Max Hit the Road is better than all the Telltale Sam & Max games from a aesthetic and gameplay PoV. The humor and voice acting is still the same in the newer stuff but Hit the Road had better characters aswell as it didn't just resort to the same cast of characters over 3 seasons.

epmode

Older adventure games were a lot better with side characters. They were there for their bit and they got out of the way quickly. I guess Telltale tries to get their money's worth from their 3D models or whatever.

even been able to play the 1993 version of the tie fighter/ x-wing games is a treat. especially since I played them on a 386 16Mhz at no frames per second, with little detail.

I am just waiting to for the moment GOG makes KotOR 2 available and then (hopefully) they'll make a bundle for both KotOR games to get a slight discount! I also hope both Battlefronts (with their respective bundle) make it to GOG!

Catshade

I'm just waiting for Episode 1: Racer to come. I love Wipeout and all, but Ep 1 Racer is my first futuristic racing game and it holds a special place in my heart.

Huh, I hadn't noticed GOG got Gex. I'd probably care more if I didn't have the Saturn version, but still, that was a pretty fun little 2D adventure. Should probably finish more than World 2 sometime.

Persona7

Banned
Knock Knock is pretty spooky! It's on sale, too.

http://www.gog.com/game/knock_knock

Ice Pick Lodge is one of the more interesting developers around.

I already own this but my windows computer is not working right now and I don't want to mess around and install it on my laptop so I have to stick to Linux until I can buy another motherboard. It does look interesting though, I watched some gameplay on youtube a while back.

It's gonna be Lucasarts games for me for the next few months. I also need to get Shadowrun Dragonfall but I keep putting it off despite loving the first one (I know this is supposed to be even better)

Playing Fate of Atlantis again reminds me how far ahead of its time it was - and still is. How many point & clicks - even now - have multiple solutions to puzzles? Stuff like getting into the theatre at the beginning of the game, obtaining the sunstone from trotier with either indy or sophia, the random location of plato's lost dialogue...and then on top of that, there are three distinct paths to follow!

Amazing game, and one any dev making a p&c today needs to play to death.

epmode

Sounds like I should play The Cat Lady. I think I already own it. I also have but haven't played Downfall, the developer's first game.

Playing Fate of Atlantis again reminds me how far ahead of its time it was - and still is. How many point & clicks - even now - have multiple solutions to puzzles?

Quest for Glory and... and... and the handful of Quest for Glory clones, I guess.

Personally I'm really liking Sam and Max. Humor hits all the right notes for me (not too surprisingly, since Day of the Tentacle and Secret of Monkey Island did as well). Especially like how GOG supplies the hint books free of charge, so if I ever get really stumped, a hint's only a few clicks away. (Like, how was I supposed to know
there was a yellow magnet in the mirror/magnet room
?)

Minsc

Gold Member

hex1Kw1.png

aIsyZWM.png

QB1qYi0.png

TWXC1Cz.png

xEEOR1Y.png

B4Vdd2k.png

Busy week this week! Got all six new LucasArts games done though! :)

Star Wars: X-Wing Special Edition is first, and while it's not quite as exceptional as its successor, many people still enjoy(ed) it. The expansions don't seem as strong as those in TIE Fighter, but the main game is still going to get you your money's worth. GOG currently includes the 1994 DOS version of this game and the 1998 Windows port, and for X-Wing, the preferred way to go is with the Windows port, as the Redbook audio fits it well enough (its TIE Fighter everyone loved the original imuse score too), it runs in a much higher resolution making it easier to line up shots and see things, and there's just not many significant drawbacks to it, unlike TIE Fighter. So if you're looking for a space sim that's perhaps a bit frustratingly hard at times, but still generally fun (and have already played your share of more popular ones), give it a shot!

Star Wars: TIE Fighter Special Edition is next, and also one of the best classic games on GOG. Loved by pretty much all who play it, there is just praise after praise for it. You can spend 100s of hours in this game across the dozen or so campaigns uncovering all sorts of hidden objectives and mastering levels while earning medals and promotions. The plot is well written with some real unforgettable moments in it as well. Things are a little trickier with what GOG's included here, you get the 1994 DOS version again and the 1998 Windows port. The real keeper is the 1995 DOS CD-ROM, which is missing, but hopefully GOG will that correct soon. The 1994 version lacks many things from the 1995 one, and the 1998 also lacks a few things from the 1995 one. Still, the 1998 version (with the patch fix) beats out the 1994 version overall (1998 version having voice overs, better resolution, 2 good expansions, and more), so that's probably your best bet at the moment.

Sam & Max Hit the Road is next, an adventure game with a real unique flavour to it. Perhaps you've seen talking animals before, but never quite like these two. Tons of humour and hours of fun locations to explore, with just as many wacky characters to interact with. It's definitely an adventure game everyone should try if you enjoy humorous games, and it still holds up strong as long as you can get past the usual inventory puzzle shortcomings of the time period.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is another famous Lucas Arts adventure game, remade with modern graphics that seem to be more miss than hit (though the remake of the sequel Monkey Island 2, is improved and not as bad). Thanks to clever individuals, it's possible to play the original (well DOS) version with the modern voice overs now, so you can get the best of both worlds. An adventure series to not be missed, that delivers three great games, then goes to Telltale for a pretty decent run with some highlights that make it worth playing if you enjoyed the first three games.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is next, another classic LucasArts adventure and you can never have too many of these. Surprisingly (to me), this game has really has a strong and positive reception to it, between the great feeling of adventure and no annoying parts and the multiple paths that don't overlap and give you reason to play the game three times over (or more). Even the puzzles have multiple solutions to them, so it's really a special adventure game even today. If somehow you've missed it, now is the time to correct that.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is the final game this week, and it's got perhaps a bit more mixed impressions to it these days, but overall people feel it's still a fun game... just don't go in expecting Planescape Torment or anything. It's Star Wars for Star Wars fans someone said, where the sequel is a little more sophisticated. But if you want a grand adventure full of all sorts of things KOTOR won't let you don't. Just realize you are playing a black/white type game (well dark / light side of the force), no shades of gray here, you're a boy scout or an all-out villain. There's a memorable and funny cast of NPCs to fill both KOTOR games, and hopefully the second shows up eventually here too.

So that's about it, all the releases made the list this week! Though Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition wasn't highlighted above since I just used the quotes from the prior Icewind Dale recommendation as the games are essentially the same (like with the Baldur's Gate EEs). Actually Devil's Dare does have to wait 'til next week to find out its fate, one can only handle so many great games a week!

Guess I'm a little too late to make the quote box for it, but I just wrapped up Sam and Max myself. Very sharply-written, and the puzzles are just straightforward enough that I wasn't forced to resort to rubbing every object against each other very frequently at all. Seeing all of Americana satirized like that was a great thing to behold.

It was kinda short, though. Maybe that's just because I'm smarter/more point-and-click-savvy now than I was when I was fumbling my way through Day of the Tentacle or Secret of Monkey Island. The climax felt a little abrupt, considering; the showdown with the villain ended pretty quickly, and there was still several puzzles happening after the fact. That's a little disappointing when compared to the two aforementioned LucasArts games, which both ended with the showdowns with their respective villains; no puzzles afterward, just denouement (where applicable). So, I was half-expecting there to be one more showdown after dealing with the final scavenger quest, only for... nothing, just the ending. Still, the whole experience remained satisfying overall, I just think it could've been a tad tighter.

Only other real gripes I have are when the layout of a room makes it unobvious that it scrolls to the side a bit more (which only really happened once, with the magnet room - the blue-colored magnet was placed right at the rightmost edge of the initial screen, so Sam often refused to walk past it to reveal the third, yellow-colored magnet behind it, which tripped me up for a good while), and that having to wait for the tram animation to play whenever I went up to or down from the diner atop the World's Largest Ball of Twine (the twiner, if you will) was a little annoying. Otherwise? Very good, definitely recommend it.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
According to a dude at Degica, Crimzon Clover has been submitted to GOG as of October 25th. Now, it's basically up to GOG to give us the thing.

Would be awesome if it was this week. I really, really want the game, but held off when I heard a DRM-free version was on the way.

Persona7

Banned
According to a dude at Degica, Crimzon Clover has been submitted to GOG as of October 25th. Now, it's basically up to GOG to give us the thing.

Would be awesome if it was this week. I really, really want the game, but held off when I heard a DRM-free version was on the way.

Cool, I was about to buy it but I'll wait.

If that ends up selling a lot, then Degica should consider getting A-Train 9 V3.0 on the store with a price reduction to $29.99 and launch discount. Maybe not for a year or so, though, as Steam buyers will feel ripped off. They could maybe time a half-off discount with the GOG release to keep it competitive.

Danny Dudekisser

Also confirmed by devs to be coming to GOG soon: Freedom Planet. Game looked crazy good.

Confirmed not to be coming any time soon: Steins;Gate. The JP developers haven't signed off on it yet, so who knows what's going to happen with that. But I think the retail version is DRM-free anyway, so whatevz.

Edit: Maybe it's because I work in biz dev in vidja games, but I feel like when I talk to devs, I want to also try and convince them to put their games on GOG for my own selfish reasons. Thus, why I've been inquiring about this sort of stuff.

Also confirmed by devs to be coming to GOG soon: Freedom Planet. Game looked crazy good.
Yeah, Strife mentioned GOG approached him about having FP on there shortly after the game was Greenlit. I'm guessing he's waiting until he's implemented all the content he intends to get into the game (Milla's cutscenes for Adventure Mode, the extra two characters for meeting the Kickstarter stretch goals, etc) before going ahead on that.

I'll gladly pimp that one. It's not perfect by any stretch (the plot has some notable shortcomings, for instance, having too many cutscenes at the beginning and not enough at the endgame, although you can just play Classic Mode and skip all of that), but all-in-all, it's a very solid action game, with the momentum physics from the Sonic games (slightly tweaked) but combat that feels more like a PS1 Mega Man X game (the punches and kicks feel kinda like using the Z-Saber, in my opinion). Sounds like a mix that wouldn't work, but somehow, it really does - especially in the bosses, of which there are many, almost all of which are large, multi-sprited foes that harken to the best Konami or Treasure boss fights. So good.

Fun fact: if you sort Steam games by best-reviewed, Freedom Planet's currently floating in between #5 and #6, amongst such titles as Portal 2, One Finger Death Punch, Crypt of the NecroDancer, Nuclear Throne, Unreal Tournament: GotY Edition and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (both normal and Legendary Edition). Not bad company. Not sure how long it'll last...

Guess I'm a little too late to make the quote box for it, but I just wrapped up Sam and Max myself. Very sharply-written, and the puzzles are just straightforward enough that I wasn't forced to resort to rubbing every object against each other very frequently at all. Seeing all of Americana satirized like that was a great thing to behold.

It was kinda short, though. Maybe that's just because I'm smarter/more point-and-click-savvy now than I was when I was fumbling my way through Day of the Tentacle or Secret of Monkey Island. The climax felt a little abrupt, considering; the showdown with the villain ended pretty quickly, and there was still several puzzles happening after the fact. That's a little disappointing when compared to the two aforementioned LucasArts games, which both ended with the showdowns with their respective villains; no puzzles afterward, just denouement (where applicable). So, I was half-expecting there to be one more showdown after dealing with the final scavenger quest, only for... nothing, just the ending. Still, the whole experience remained satisfying overall, I just think it could've been a tad tighter.

Only other real gripes I have are when the layout of a room makes it unobvious that it scrolls to the side a bit more (which only really happened once, with the magnet room - the blue-colored magnet was placed right at the rightmost edge of the initial screen, so Sam often refused to walk past it to reveal the third, yellow-colored magnet behind it, which tripped me up for a good while), and that having to wait for the tram animation to play whenever I went up to or down from the diner atop the World's Largest Ball of Twine (the twiner, if you will) was a little annoying. Otherwise? Very good, definitely recommend it.

It was probably some of Lucasarts' best comedy writing at the time, and had a great soundtrack too. Jazzy beats for the overarching music, and fitting themed music for each location. Do have to agree that the final sequence falls a little flat, since it pretty much culminates in a
glorified scavenger hunt.
Might be oddly fitting in a game where you pick up random junk, but even back when I first played it many years ago, I remember feeling a little underwhelmed.

mclem

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is another famous Lucas Arts adventure game, remade with modern graphics that seem to be more miss than hit (though the remake of the sequel Monkey Island 2, is improved and not as bad). Thanks to clever individuals, it's possible to play the original (well DOS) version with the modern voice overs now, so you can get the best of both worlds. An adventure series to not be missed, that delivers three great games, then goes to Telltale for a pretty decent run with some highlights that make it worth playing if you enjoyed the first three games.

You naughty little Minsc.

Edit: Maybe it's because I work in biz dev in vidja games, but I feel like when I talk to devs, I want to also try and convince them to put their games on GOG for my own selfish reasons. Thus, why I've been inquiring about this sort of stuff.

Do you think Disney being there will make a difference? I guess they were one of the biggest companies left not to have a deal of some kind with gog.

Minsc

Gold Member
You naughty little Minsc.

I'm not the only who thought there were some redeemable parts to Tales of Monkey Island (I've noticed in the past since there's a bit of conflict over that opinion, but some well-spoken and memorable gaf members also think moderately of it), yes, it started out pretty bad, and there's a bunch of bad stuff to it (duplicate models, and the general story), but some of the later episodes are wonderful towards the end. The one with the whale is great, and the final one or maybe one before it was very good too.

Guess I'm a little too late to make the quote box for it, but I just wrapped up Sam and Max myself. Very sharply-written, and the puzzles are just straightforward enough that I wasn't forced to resort to rubbing every object against each other very frequently at all. Seeing all of Americana satirized like that was a great thing to behold...

Never to late to improve recommendation quotes. Sam & Max particularly needed a write up with more substance to it, so thanks! I'll fix it up soon-ish.

mclem

I'm not the only who thought there were some redeemable parts to Tales of Monkey Island (I've noticed in the past since there's a bit of conflict over that opinion, but some well-spoken and memorable gaf members also think moderately of it), yes, it started out pretty bad, and there's a bunch of bad stuff to it (duplicate models, and the general story), but some of the later episodes are wonderful towards the end. The one with the whale is great, and the final one or maybe one before it was very good too.

That's not what...

Oh, never mind.

Tales does indeed get markedly better as the episodes go on. I think from halfway onwards it's brilliant.

bigjig

I'm loving going through Sam and Max again at the moment, but I totally agree about the game not making it clear that edges of the screen can be explored. Thankfully I remember most of the frustrating parts from when I played it before, so the magnet room didn't pose any problems, but it's still noticeable in other areas as well (like how it's not immediately clear that you can get up to the restaurant on the ball of twine).

Having said that, that's really my only complaint. I still love the cartoony sprite look over telltale's lifeless 3d style and sometimes I'll catch myself waiting on some screens just to keep listening to certain songs! I love the whole road trip across America vibe the game has as well. :p

Dsyndrome

My votes for the next Lucasarts game to come out are the Rebel Assault games (since I never played them back in the early 90's) and the more recent Indiana Jones games (never bought them and not sure why). Already beat Grim Fandango, DOTT, and Loom (Talkie version anyway) so I can hold off on their eventual release.

I wish we had some way to figure out which of the 20+ games were coming out (so I could temper my disappointments/hype), but I'm happy nonetheless with all the classic goodness coming out.

Yarbskoo

The climax felt a little abrupt, considering; the showdown with the villain ended pretty quickly, and there was still several puzzles happening after the fact. That's a little disappointing when compared to the two aforementioned LucasArts games, which both ended with the showdowns with their respective villains; no puzzles afterward, just denouement (where applicable). So, I was half-expecting there to be one more showdown after dealing with the final scavenger quest, only for... nothing, just the ending.

That kind of rambling, anticlimactic story structure is standard Sam & Max.

Consider the 1987 debut comic Monkeys Violating the Heavenly Temple(Based on the novella: Sam & Max Meet Some Bad Guys)
Sam and Max are in the Philippines and have been captured by Doctor Fritz Nunkie, the leader of a cult of volcano god worshipers. Sam and Max are each tied to a pole at the edge of the volcano, and are about to be sacrificed to Domasadito, the volcano god, as part of the cult's annual jamboree and pot luck sacrifice. How do you think Sam and Max get out of this mess? Just as Nunkie is about to stab Max with a cool knife, he is defeated by
spontaneous combustion. The flames coming from his body burn the ropes holding Max to the pole, allowing Max to free Sam.
Sam and Max then pull one of the poles from the ground and use it to push all of the remaining cultists into the volcano.
As Sam and Max make their way home, their plane is highjacked by a terrorist with a clown mask from the Political Liberation Force of bleah bleah bleah bleah bleah... Sam outwits him by
throwing a spoon at the window, causing the terrorist to open fire on the window in surprise. Because the plane is about a hundred and forty seven million feet above sea level, the terrorist is sucked through the bullet hole into the screaming void of space.
Sam then uses a high tech meal platter to prevent further depressurization.

As far as video games go, Hit the Road is the most faithful to the comics in terms of overall tone and plot direction. If you haven't already, you should check out Steve Purcell's comics, they're a lot of fun.

Danny Dudekisser

Do you think Disney being there will make a difference? I guess they were one of the biggest companies left not to have a deal of some kind with gog.

Probably not. For the devs still holding out, it's probably always going to boil down to sales figures for analogous titles, because companies have to justify the cost of A) supporting a new platform, however minuscule that might actually be and B) taking the risk of selling a DRM-free game. Other companies supporting the platform doesn't mean shit unless GOG's willing to share sales figures.

Anyway, my #1 most wanted developer on the platform is Sega. Like, by a mile.

My votes for the next Lucasarts game to come out are the Rebel Assault games (since I never played them back in the early 90's) and the more recent Indiana Jones games (never bought them and not sure why). Already beat Grim Fandango, DOTT, and Loom (Talkie version anyway) so I can hold off on their eventual release.

I wish we had some way to figure out which of the 20+ games were coming out (so I could temper my disappointments/hype), but I'm happy nonetheless with all the classic goodness coming out.
Ah, the Rebel Assault games. I remember them getting a lot of advertising at the time, but it wasn't until later that I found out that they were nothing more than FMV games. Supposedly, the first one is junk, but the second one is supposed to have better production values, which made it tolerable for a FMV game.

Danny Dudekisser

I'm not sure I'd call either of those interesting. The first one looks like those eShop shovelware games the WiiU's suffered from lately, and the second one we had on our gaming computer at work for a while. Nobody liked it very much.

I thought Tales of MajEyalalalala was a free game? It's Tales of Middle Earth with all the Tolkien stuff taken out, changed to original lore and with graphical tile sets.

I have put a few hours into earlier versions but I guess it's up to a level where they are charging for it now. Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom