• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | November 2014 - The dark side beckons you on GOG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dsyndrome

Hey look, everything's in Community now.

Started Sam and Max again last night, lots more minigames than I remember. I can't jump on highway signposts to save my life. Enjoying the game, hopefully will finish it this time.

Hey look, everything's in Community now.

Started Sam and Max again last night, lots more minigames than I remember. I can't jump on highway signposts to save my life. Enjoying the game, hopefully will finish it this time.

The gamer gate mess should get its own community thread instead of you know, games discussion.

Yeah I hated the freeway mini game back in the day

The freeway minigame doesn't even really make sense to me. So the goal is to not hit the posts, as they suck away time? That's... kind of overly simple. I think you get points for jumping over the signs, but I can't consistently jump over or into the signs to say for sure because the scaling is so amazingly choppy (odd, since it's usually second-nature for SCUMM games). Seeing as you get tons of points for just reaching the end with time left over, it seems like you could get a perfectly reasonable score by doing the boring thing and just avoiding the signs altogether.

I gave it a go once and basically never bothered with it thereafter. Main game was far more compelling, regardless.

Yarbskoo

Most of the minigames in Hit the Road are pointless little extras. Highway surfing is fun for a level or two, but it's not really something you play a lot of, similar to the copy-protection dress up game and the coloring pages.

Car Bomb has a bit of depth to it, but only because it's a Battleship clone.

EDIT: Speaking of pointless little extras, if you didn't know already, pressing the B key will flip game in and out of film noir (black & white) mode. This could very well be a reference to the black & white Sam & Max comics.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
And today's release is... a movie.

Pretty deflating week so far. Wonder if there's a mid-day update we just don't know about yet...

AVGN Movie's out, as is Cinemaware's Rocket Ranger w/Amiga emulation and DOS version. Make sure to get your free copy of LBA! Glad to hear the site's French-language now.

Nordicus

If you like Icewind Dale style more combat-centric Real-Time with Pause RPGs with a bit of in-depth tactics, get Aarklash: Legacy.
Really solid, and has that really needed innovative feature of queueing up your movements, attacks and skills. You can also see your enemy's full skillset and its descriptions, so you're always well-informed when, for example, a green timer appears before enemy's head (it means they're about to use their powerful, interruptible healing skill)

Like you can command a unit to "move here, then debuff the guy far away from you, then start auto-attacking the nearest enemy"

Minsc

Gold Member

qY9KAji.png

Cmr0mXD.png

Ur8KP5m.png

A bit of catching up this week, three new games from the prior weeks added, and a bunch more eliminated.

Door Kickers is first to make the list, just barely squeezing by with the minimal amount of (all positive) impressions. It seems to draw some parallels to Frozen Synapse, but without the sci-fi theme, and delivers on providing a ridiculous amount of content. Even before the full release, you could drop a ton of time in to the missions planning your attacks, but its since added a campaign, new tweaks to the combat, and there's a pretty active mod community that is putting out some nice content too.

Dreamfall Chapters - Season Pass is next, and thankfully it recently received a patch that greatly helped the performance issues many people were complaining about (consistently poor framerate on high-end hardware, now fixed). While veterans to the series generally agree it's a good start, with very nice attentions to details though perhaps falling a little short on the puzzles - you really should be sure to play the first two games to get the most out of it... and the content right now is a bit short for the price since only the first chapter is out. Still, a highly recommended, mature adventure with a few caveats.

Legend of Grimrock 2 is the final entry this week, and most people seem to agree it's a solid improvement from the first game. Better designed combat with enemies that don't require kiting around them so much, and well thought out puzzles to solve like before. This time it's more hub-based, instead of escaping a single dungeon, so a bit more variety to the environments. Definitely a good RPG for both those new and those familiar to dungeon crawlers.

As for what didn't make it the cut (all releases from this past week are still in review):
- Kromaia (not enough impressions)
- Devil's Dare (not enough impressions)
- TRI (not enough impressions)
- A Golden Wake (impressions were too few and too mixed to make it)
- Starpoint Gemini 2 (not enough impressions)
- Smugglers V: Invasion (not enough impressions)
- Wings! Remastered (not enough impressions)
- Halfway (not enough impressions)
- Screencheat (not enough impressions)

Dsyndrome

Saw something about collecting stamps for Witcher 2 for a week? Can't check the site at work, will probably gift the game to one of my brothers.

Saw something about collecting stamps for Witcher 2 for a week? Can't check the site at work, will probably gift the game to one of my brothers.
Yeah, if you check in (via activating a stamp) once per day for seven days, you'll unlock Witcher 2 and a movie.

Also worth noting that they're giving away the original Mount and Blade for 24 hours, both in celebration of the sale and of the release of the M&B series on GOG.

Arthea

Yeah, if you check in (via activating a stamp) once per day for seven days, you'll unlock Witcher 2 and a movie.

Also worth noting that they're giving away the original Mount and Blade for 24 hours, both in celebration of the sale and of the release of the M&B series on GOG.

for 48 hours actually, well, now it's 1 day and 20 hours left.

Knurek

So uh, there's a sale going on.

A big one.

How's that GraveyardCommunity move working for you, GOG thread?
Sale related - don't you hate each time D&D games get discounted, they have a good discount only for a bundle? I don't really care for Neverwinter Nights, guys, or Dragonshard, just let me buy BG or ToEE. :\

Dsyndrome

Just got the promo email with the sale and free game; echoing the post above me: surprised there's not a sale thread on the Gaming side for all the flash deals. How else am I going to keep informed of when Jack Keane's in play?

Minsc

Gold Member

2dsCfIv.png

EACQp7S.png

SvO4kpZ.png

Caught up through Week 45 with the above, just need to look at last week's releases still.

Going to skip the mini write-up for now, the impressions in the quotes are picked to generally give an understanding of what the game is about anyway. On to what didn't make the cut:
- Pier Solar and the Great Architects (impressions seem a bit mixed overall)
- Rocket Ranger (not enough impressions)

ricki42

Thought maybe I should post this here as well:
I have a Witcher 2 code from the stamp collection thing

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away an item. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460878.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ricki42, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
Witcher 2 (GOG) -- MB-61553222A57FAA3C - Taken by Ultimate_Trainer. 6 entrants total.

t1416346726z1.png

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Instructions:

I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 3 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PGP3OVL.png
THE WITCHER 2 (Gog): -- MB-86ECB7F0CA3EB734
PGP3OVL.png
LITTLE BIG ADVENTURE (Gog) -- MB-624C56DCF225D61D - Taken by Santerestil. 1 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
Witcher (Gog) -- MB-DB4CDDA826310E7C - Taken by Kirosia

t1416374387z1.png

Coreda

Once Galaxy has a public release I'll probably start looking more at GOG sales and releases. If the client has the install/update convenience of Steam I could see myself preferring the DRM-free versions of games, even if occasionally paying a little extra. If they get it right I'd be very happy using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom