• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goliath birdeater spider will haunt your dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/62544431/worlds-largest-spider-the-size-of-a-rodent.html

The South American Goliath birdeater is the spider of many people's nightmares, but encountering one of the puppy-sized critters in a dark rain forest in Guyana was a dream come true for entomologist Piotr Naskrecki.

The largest spider in the world, the birdeater has a leg span of about 30cm, weighs up to 170g, and hardened tips and claws on its feet that make a clicking sound when it walks.

Naskrecki was looking for katydids the night he encountered a Goliath. He had turned his headlamp off to concentrate on listening when he heard the sound of an animal running in complete darkness.

"I could clearly hear its hard feet hitting the ground and dry leaves crumbling under its weight. I pressed the switch and pointed the light at the source of the sound, expecting to see a small mammal, a possum, a rat maybe," Naskrecki recounted in his blog The Smaller Majority.

"And at first this is what I thought I saw – a big, hairy animal, the size of a rodent."

Click, click.... CLICK. Surprise!

1413755065051.jpg

Despite its name, the birdeaters mainly ate earthworms.

Naskrecki told Live Science that although the bite from the spider's 5cm fangs was not venomous, it would be "like driving a nail through your hand".

Oh, is that all!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
People primarily eat mcdonalds. Doesnt mean they would not eat another person if push came to shove. The earthworms comment is nice in theory but if you saw one of these spiders lets say in your child's crib you would kill the fuk out of it.

There can be no understanding or peace between our species. Kill them all. Deforest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom