• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Hates Scalpers, Bans Pixel Resellers, Has Pity on Some Users, Gives 2nd Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Whether or not you think this is a good idea depends on what you think of scalpers/resellers, especially those that evade taxes in order to make more in profit.

From the Guardian:

Nov 17:
The Guardian said:
Google has suspended the accounts of hundreds of people who took advantage of a loophole in US sales tax to make a small profit on Pixel phones.

The Google customers had all bought the phones from the company’s Project Fi mobile carrier, and had them shipped directly to a reseller in New Hampshire, a US state with no sales tax. In return, the reseller split the profit with the customers.

Such an arrangement is against Google’s terms of service, which state that customers “may only purchase Devices for your personal use [and] may not commercially resell any Device”.

“I’m not defending those who violated the terms of the sale, but I do think it is heavy handed for Google to block access to all of their services for doing so,” wrote Daniel Eleff, the owner of the site. “Was violating Google’s phone resale policy really worthy of an effective digital death penalty?”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...-customer-accounts-for-reselling-pixel-phones

Nov 18:
The Guardian said:
Google has reversed its decision to disable the accounts of customers who resold the company’s new Pixel phone, after a chorus of complaints over the company’s imposition of a “digital death penalty” for a minor infraction.

The company emailed users who had been banned, noting that it had reviewed their appeals and re-enabled their accounts. Users had been shut down after they were accused of taking advantage of tax loopholes to earn a profit reselling the phone.

In the email, Google said it “takes violations of our terms very seriously, and we ask that you review relevant terms and product policies to ensure that you understand them”. It added: “Repeated violations of our terms may lead to account termination.”

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...e-reverses-decision-ban-pixel-phone-resellers

So, what do you think? Good Guy Google, fighting the good fight? Or Evil Corporate Overlord, trying to control your every move?

It would be totally fair to ban them from using Fi and buying hardware from them ever again.

But a blanket account ban is too far. They do too much in too many areas for that to be anywhere close to reasonable.

How much would someone make, like 30 bucks?

Ominym

Banned
Damn, that's pretty hardcore. And while I have no love for scalpers, I think it would've been smarter for Google to fire a warning shot here. Keep the threat of a blanket ban, but let people know you mean business.

Granted, the truly dedicated would likely create dummy accounts and probably already are. But ultimately it's Google's platforms. They don't owe you access. So it's their call. But I do think this could've been handled better than buckling to the cries of scalpers.

Cookie18

Scalping being good or bad aside it's pretty rich for Google to be punishing people for taking advantage of a tax loophole.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I hate scalpers especially in the tax thing. I don't see why Google should be the arbiter of this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom