• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2013 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

Crazy considering how many people, especially work machines and non-tech savvy peoples machines just use IE by default. Android chrome must really be making a lot of progress moving the non-savvy people from using IE by default to chrome by default.

Wow. almost a billion activations. Is that 900 million this past year alone? Or 900 million active android devices total?

Talon

I always ask myself, do they coun't the OCD people that install roms all the time, each time? That would account for half of that.
rubin-defines-android-activations.jpg

48 billion is cool, but how many of them are payable? That's where Android continues to suffer.

Saying revenue is up to date 2.5 times per user and Google has payed out more this year so far than all of 2012 combined to developers. Certainly it seems to be getting much better.

Zaph

Man, it's crazy how mainstream keynotes have gotten. A few of my friends who I would have never guessed would even know about I/O are watching it live...

kaskade

This location stuff is awesome. Geofencing seems awesome. I want to remind myself to do something if I enter or exit an area. One time I drove all the way to class only to realize I forgot to grab my paper.

Phoenix

That's huge on the fused location based provider. I wonder how they are exposing that.
GeoFencing is kinda meh. I have my own system for that which isn't requiring circular fences.
Activity Recognition is ENORMOUS!

I like the geofencing thing. I wouldn't mind a simple way to define phone actions depending on location. I know apps are out there for it, but if it can come as an OS level feature, then...

Edit: Of course, any optimization to battery usage is great too with the location fixing. My Nexus 4 will thank you.

Talon

what is geo fencing?
Uses carrier data that is already being used (when your phone reconnects with the tower every now and then to sync time, carrier, etc.) in order to supplement location data. So as opposed to turning GPS on (which drains more data), it's already using an existing GPS "range" to determine your location. That way, the GPS isn't constantly on.

So, for example, there's a podcast app on iOS that updates based on location using Geofencing instead of GPS data.

I'm surprised this wasn't already in Android.

Soulstar

Uses carrier data that is already being used (when your phone reconnects with the tower every now and then to sync time, carrier, etc.) in order to supplement location data.

Ah ok thanks.

SRG01

Uses carrier data that is already being used (when your phone reconnects with the tower every now and then to sync time, carrier, etc.) in order to supplement location data.

No you misread. The Fusion Location is a build up of already provided location data (including tower data), but better. Geofencing is better location-based events.

Zeppu

I just spent a couple of weeks working on an app update with proximity alerts and today I published it. Goddammit and now new geofencing API. Aaargh.

Phoenix

Cross platform single sign on is kinda confusing.
GCM really needed a revamp, and this is a megaton more than people realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom