• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google parent leads $1B Lyft investment, deepening Uber rift

Very interesting move by Google. I pretty much exclusively use Lyft now after all the horrible stuff Uber has done. Their growth across the country has been impressive.

Google’s parent company is throwing its financial support behind ride-hailing service Lyft, deepening its rift with market leader Uber.

Alphabet Inc., which gets most of its money from Google’s digital ad network, is leading a $1 billion investment in Lyft that values the privately held company at $11 billion. The investment announced Thursday is being made through Alphabet’s CapitalG venture capital arm.

Lyft is still far smaller and worth far less than Uber, another privately held company based in San Francisco whose investors have valued it at nearly $70 billion.

But Uber has been enmeshed in internal strife amid management upheaval and allegations of rampant sexual harassment that culminated in the departure of co-founder Travis Kalanick. Uber lured away Expedia’s CEO, Dara Khosrowshahi, to replace Kalanick and clean up the mess.

Lyft has seized on Uber’s turmoil as an opportunity to gain ground on its rival in the rapidly growing ride-hailing market while expanding into more cities across the U.S. Its drivers’ cars can now be summoned by 95 percent of the U.S. population, up from 54 percent at the beginning of this year.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/10/19/alphabet-inc-google-1-billion-investment-lyft-uber/

Uber is in San Fran too? Sweet. When I move to California I'll have all the tech companies in my backyard. I hope the new Amazon HQ chooses there as well.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Uber is in San Fran too? Sweet. When I move to California I'll have all the tech companies in my backyard. I hope the new Amazon HQ chooses there as well.

Like you're going to be able to drive anywhere with all that traffic.

Pyrokai

I use Lyft exclusively as well. Much better service, imo. And typically always cheaper. Plus you can tip if you want.

I use Uber Eats, though.

Lyft getting a $1B investment from Google is nice and it may help drive prices lower but its not going to put a dent in Uber and its multiple wall street investors.. at least not anytime soon.

Fair point, the thing that struck me the most is the massive growth in reach/footprint Lyft has seen this year. What I don't know about is their plans for international expansion. That is where Uber is killing them currently. Although its easy to expand when you don't follow any of the local regulations.

I did notice when I visited San Fran that Lyft was significantly cheaper than Uber. here in STL, Uber is still the dominant service. I used Lyft once here and my driver was fucking awful. He was supposed to take me to a music festival where Lyft was an official sponsor and he didn't know how to get there.

Even if that person isn’t able to get a job at Amazon, many people nearby who are would go to Amazon and create job openings for this person.
When giant facilities like this open they bring with them "camp followers". Services pop up to provide goods and services to the larger facility.

I did notice when I visited San Fran that Lyft was significantly cheaper than Uber. here in STL, Uber is still the dominant service. I used Lyft once here and my driver was fucking awful. He was supposed to take me to a music festival where Lyft was an official sponsor and he didn't know how to get there.

My experience is that everyone is driving for both Uber and Lyft to maximize their number of pick ups so I don't think quality of driver varies much between the two. That's pretty weird the guy couldn't find the venue, just put it in to Waze lol.

That dude almost certainly was driving for both Lyft and Uber. A large number of drivers do, swapping between apps based on demand.

You just got a bad driver. If you contacted their support you would have probably been reimbursed for the ride.

I used Lyft for the first time in NYC and then later in Orlando when I traveled this year. Last time I went to either of these places, the services didn’t exist. Or barely existed.

Having them this time was a game-changer. We saved so much money and frustration. Transportation was so easy.

I’m glad Lyft exists because, with everything I’ve read about Uber, I would never use it.

gcubed

When giant facilities like this open they bring with them "camp followers". Services pop up to provide goods and services to the larger facility.

Yes but if you think California is getting a Amazon HQ you must be on some incredible drugs.

I should take Lyft more but I'm lazy

That dude almost certainly was driving for both Lyft and Uber. A large number of drivers do, swapping between apps based on demand.

You just got a bad driver. If you contacted their support you would have probably been reimbursed for the ride.

One complaint I here about Lyft compared to Uber is that Map Integration on Lyft is terrible. Uber gives you the option of which Map app you want to use where Lyft does not apparently.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is Lyft more sustainable than Uber? Like, not burning through billions with no correction plan like Uber is doing?

Dunlop

I wish Google cared about countries other than the US, still have Uber but it is doubtful that they will be staying much longer

Usobuko

Banned
Anyone travel frequently and use Lyft because of its alliance with other ride-hailing services from other countries?

Like in India, Southeast Asia and China.

Uber is facing a lot of competition worldwide and some of its biggest rivals are funding other countries ride-hailing apps.

NandoGip

I use ride-sharing about... 4 times a week?

Lyft is more expensive in my area, also Uber gives me 10% back when I spend money at certain coffee shops and grocery stores.... I would literally have to pay double on a monthly basis to use Lyft.

it's unfortunate but Uber it is... I did use Lyft this morning though.

Ashhong

I use ride-sharing about... 4 times a week?

Lyft is more expensive in my area, also Uber gives me 10% back when I spend money at certain coffee shops and grocery stores.... I would literally have to pay double on a monthly basis to use Lyft.

it's unfortunate but Uber it is... I did use Lyft this morning though.

How do you get cash back through Uber?

Top Bottom