• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google stops producing Chromecast devices, introduces much more expensive "Google TV Streamer"

spons

Gold Member
I have multiple Chromecast devices at home because they were such cheap streaming hardware. RIP.

120 euros btw, lol.

Last edited:

Complistic

classic-duck.gif

Thaedolus

Meh. I have one hooked up to my 15 year old dumb TV but almost anything you buy these days is snappier and easier. I can cast to my C1 or use its built in apps for streaming

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
The Thread radio and find my remote thing are pretty nice features to add. Not sure it is worth 2x the price but you know those are going to be discounted during holiday sales.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
If you are spending that much just spend a touch more for an AppleTV. Far better experience. We used fire sticks and chromcasts in the past and they don’t even come close.

I'm really trying to understand the target audience for this.

No one with ANY apple products to start with.

People who don't like their built in tv operation system but think Google TV is an upgrade, but are cheap, but not super cheap (roku/fire tv)?

Even if this had the best Youtube and Youtube TV experience, I'm not sure it would be worth it.

If they were smart they'd give at least a month of YTTV away for free with it. That's a 65 dollar value.

K' Dash

I'm surprised they make these, I would assume every tv has this functionality built-in.

My TVs have Google TV and they stop getting updates pretty fast, leaving you with a sluggish experience, apps hanging up, not loading at all.

It's better just to connect a 4K chromecast with google TV... or an Apple TV for the best experience.

Quasicat

Is Android TV still an advertising mess? I had an Nvidia Shield for Plex and the main screen was nothing but ads which was really annoying. I moved onto an Apple TV and love it so much more.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This just looks to be a straight upgrade to the newest Chromecast Ultra, which I have and enjoy. The nice thing about the Ultra is that it's super easy to hack. Hopefully this box keeps it's "pixel-like" qualities and is similarly easy to hack. The addition of an Ethernet port alone makes it a worthwhile upgrade for me personally.

Is Android TV still an advertising mess? I had an Nvidia Shield for Plex and the main screen was nothing but ads which was really annoying. I moved onto an Apple TV and love it so much more.
Yes, although you can typically install alternate launchers that mostly remedy this issue. I'm partial to FLauncher.

JCK75

Our schools have moved to all chromebook and chromecasts are our go to for casting those.. removing the cheap dongle options is an insane mistake.

FunkMiller

The only real reason for this over an Apple TV is for hacking, and for sideloading.

Which are two pretty big reasons, to be fair.

Last edited:
I use Google TV. My Sony TV has it built in. Only ads and Youtube is even worse now. The only thing that I like about it is installing IPTV, Plex and countless of android apps from Github. More ads google shows me, the bigger my not to buy list increases.

Soltype

I use Google TV. My Sony TV has it built in. Only ads and Youtube is even worse now. The only thing that I like about it is installing IPTV, Plex and countless of android apps from Github. More ads google shows me, the bigger my not to buy list increases.
You can turn on app only mode, and that cleans it up a lot.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Media PC hooked up to TV with media remote, running kodi through VPN with IPTV channels and other addons, etc. I don't need anything else.

Dural

If you are spending that much just spend a touch more for an AppleTV. Far better experience. We used fire sticks and chromcasts in the past and they don’t even come close.

I bought an AppleTV last year because of comments like this. Never been a fan of the Firestick interface so don't use those but I do like the GoogleTV interface and had used it for years. Moving from the GoogleTV to AppleTV, the apps that I use are all worse (Youtube, Plex, and StartupShow). The interface for Youtube and Plex just aren't nearly as good as what I'd become accustomed to on GoogleTV. I also have some issues with files not playing at full speed through Plex due to the container they're in (I think it's 4k HDR video in mp4 containers), so I have to force them to transcode when they should play natively. But it is much faster than my old GoogleTV device and it doesn't have all the stupid ads. Why couldn't Google have used an old Tensor APU for this since they're increasing the price? The new APU is barely better than the old Chromecast w/GoogleTV and that's nearly 4 years old, pathetic. If Nvidia ever comes out with a new Shield I'd instantly buy it.

Drew1440

I'm surprised they make these, I would assume every tv has this functionality built-in.
Depends on the smart TV middleware, some that run Roku/Tivo or Amazon's FireTV OS lack Chromecast support.
Sadly yes, with the home launcher promoting Disney's latest slop. Thankfully my Sony TV is old enough you can revert the launcher to the factory installed version which removes the ads.

Lol I threw my pos chromecast in the bin when the shit didn't work once. Never buying a google device again, trash products and company.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I use both firetv sticks and apple TV and they are pretty similar to be honest.

dottme

I can see people buying to have a smart home hub. But I think most of the stuff outside of HomeKit goes out in the web, so not as useful as an Apple TV used as an HomeKit hub.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I can’t agree. It was always night and day for me but to each their own.
I mean ultimately they play shit - the only difference is getting to the stuff. Firetv is slightly jankier and more ads, but also shows reccomendations a lot better and plays a lot better with other services. Apple have buried any of that stuff within their own app and it's not as good.

my only question is....will my chromecast still work or are they gonna shut the servers off for it and it's just gonna become a paperweight?

Trogdor1123

I mean ultimately they play shit - the only difference is getting to the stuff. Firetv is slightly jankier and more ads, but also shows reccomendations a lot better and plays a lot better with other services. Apple have buried any of that stuff within their own app and it's not as good.
It’s a fair point. And I also concede that side loading is a big perk for some folks.

I find the recommendations on Apple TV are better and being to cross between apps to watch your next show, instead of going in and then searching, was better too. The hardware is on a totally different level too. The ads are so much less on an AppleTV too. It also makes tv calibration a super easy process (this feature on fire tv too? I’m assuming so now).

That being said, fire sticks are not bad at all. Please don’t get me wrong. I have 2 still and would recommend them 100% as a great value in entertainment. I also don’t think they are too janky either and they get better with each major update. They integrate with Alexa too which is a nice perk.

But, if you have the money (and it’s really not too much more) get the AppleTV imo, especially if you are in the Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom