• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got to play the DS at EB earlier today! Two hooked up wirelessly as well!

Yeah, it was great. Walked into EB to pick up my new PS2, and low and behold.. there's a DS stand, with two of them hooked up, almost back to back. So me and my fiancee played a quick 5 minute game of Metroid Prime Hunters. Here's my impressions:

Controls work surprisingly well.
Game looks suprisingly good (hard to even notice lack of texture filtering/anti-aliasing, etc.).
Game ran super smooth. No lag to be seen.
I killed her with a missile. I apologized. :)
I also rolled around her in morph ball form for a bit.. she just laughed at me.

We fooled around for a few minutes on the machine, with Pictochat. We couldn't get it to work though.. perhaps the demo machines have a bug in 'em with this? I don't know.. we both entered "Chat Room A" or something like that, but no messages were showing up. Ah well. It was still fun to write messages to myself.. ;)

And overall, the system itself felt very sturdy.. high quality. I'm excited for it. Can't wait for release. :)

lexi

Banned
Thanks for the impressions. I'm really eager to see if the wireless stuff goes off without a hitch, If I recall correctly, some Demo units are old/older production models, and there were a few bugs in those. (DS would crash a few times during use, etc)

We fooled around for a few minutes

Uh oh, PDA Alert

Hahaha.. I knew as soon as I typed in "We fooled around for a bit" I'd get a response about it..

You know what I meant... jeez.. we had sex on top of the DS, and it liked it. Very impressive.

MrparisSM

Banned
Hey bigles, I have a question for you. Is the touch screen really responsive? Like, is there any lag from when you move and when it happens on screen?

Another thing I really need to mention:

She really liked it as well. She's by no means a "hardcore" gamer, but she does enjoy playing some of them (Animal Crossing, Sims, NFL Blitz, Bust a Move, etc.) with me. And she typically doesn't like FPS games.. but this one she actually enjoyed. She said even for her, the control was quite simple and easy to use (she meant using the touch screen to choose pictochat, metroid, etc. and in the actual game itself).

MrparisSM said:
Hey bigles, I have a question for you. Is the touch screen really responsive? Like, is there any lag from when you move and when it happens on screen?

No lag that I could notice. Seemed VERY quick and responsive, and also, for example, in PictoChat, the stuff you were writing in came up pretty much exactly where you touched the screen. I've used PDAs (crappy ones, though) and other touch-screen stuff where you'd touch it, and it would be like a half an inch to an inch off. This seemed damn near perfect, or perfect.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
You thought it looked good? While the game's run smoothly, the visuals are total ass. Everything is blocky and pixely. And aiming with the stylus? Holy shit...worst idea ever. Metroid DS has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever played.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The EB that I frequent in LI, NY got them in today. I was on my lunch break and I am in love with this portable. Pictochat was up and running and I got to fool around with the employees (calling him an ass in the process). I then proceeded to play Metroid hunters and I love the default control scheme. (d-pad/4 buttons to move, L/R trigger to shoot, stylus to view in first person mode and double tap screen to jump. Oh and Metroid looks fantastic (no frame rate problems). I only wish it were Retro doing this game (nothing against NST, but I would rather see Retro after playing MP1/MP2 demo)

All in all, a nifty little portable that should fair well against the GBA/PSP.

Amir0x

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
You thought it looked good? While the game's run smoothly, the visuals are total ass. Everything is blocky and pixely. And aiming with the stylus? Holy shit...worst idea ever. Metroid DS has got to be the dumbest thing I've ever played.

I heard it looks pretty good in motion on that tiny little screen :(

AlphaSnake said:

Yeah, it definitely looked good. Looked better than most N64 first-person shooters which is actually quite a feat. And yeah, you can tell it is pixelated and such, but I didn't think it was very noticeable at all, especially since it's on a portable and has a small screen. And which control scheme did you use? Mine was set to the old E3 one where you would tap on the screen to shoot, double tap to jump, etc. It worked pretty well. My fiancee's was set to the newer one.. her actual view was on the upper screen (mine was lower), and she could control the viewpoint with the stylus, and shoot with L..

Although, you could control the viewpoint with the stylus in mine as well, but her's was a bit easier to use (since it didn't shoot everytime you touched the screen like in mine)..

AlphaSnake said:

I found aiming with the stylus to work very well. Maybe you just couldn't hold the thing up very well. Eat something for christ sake! :p

In all seriousness though, I was very impressed. I know everyone won't agree, but I'll be playing some Mario 64 DS goodness in one week while some of you continue to bitch about it.

Thanks for the impressions, I've really gotta head out to Best Buy or something and see how the DS is first hand. From what you, and just about every other person with the latest impressions, you can't really completely judge the handheld without getting your hands on it.

i played one tonight at my local best buy as well and i have to say that i am impressed. the machine looks much better in person than in pictures. i played metroid prime hunters and the control was great. the touch screen was extremely responsive to both the stylus and my finger.

metroid prime hunters looks great in person--much better than i expected. while the hardware may lack texture filtering and anti-aliasing, metroid was extremely smooth and crisp-looking. there was some minor warping, but by no means was it unbearable and i've seen many ps1 games that looked much worse. i think people will find that the ds hardware ends up delivering well (graphically) as the hardware gets older.

lastly, i'd want to say, having actually used the hardware that i think the ds is a great move for nintendo. i don't use handhelds and i probably never will, but i think that the ds does offer something "different" and creates opportunities for different types of games and gameplay. before using the unit, i looked at the ds as a gimmick, but i am now a believer. thanks for reading...

Amir0x said:
I heard it looks pretty good in motion on that tiny little screen :(

~shrugs~ I definitely thought it looked good. My fiancee was mighty impressed as well. She called it a "mini-Cube". ;) I wouldn't go THAT far, but the look is VERY reminiscient of Metroid Prime. Environments are pretty well done, I'll say that.

AlphaSnake

kitchenmotors said:
I found aiming with the stylus to work very well. Maybe you just couldn't hold the thing up very well. Eat something for christ sake!

Haha, another Opa-Age cocksucker trying to get a stab at me. The machines are attached to metal plates, dipshit. SO MUCH FOR THAT JOKE, EH!?

AlphaSnake said:
Haha, another Opa-Age cocksucker trying to get a stab at me. The machines are attached to metal plates, dipshit. SO MUCH FOR THAT JOKE, EH!?

Opa age? I've never even posted there. I've been on GAF since the pre-Dreamcast days. You need to lighten up dip shit. You always over react, it was a playful jab.

Amir0x

Banned
Biglesworth23 said:
~shrugs~ I definitely thought it looked good. My fiancee was mighty impressed as well. She called it a "mini-Cube". ;) I wouldn't go THAT far, but the look is VERY reminiscient of Metroid Prime. Environments are pretty well done, I'll say that.

Hehe. Well, I've seen videos and it definitely doesn't look near the Cube in terms of visuals, but I'm definitely interested based on your impressions. Sounds like fun, although the demo will inevitably leave me depressed and wanting more :(

={<SMOKE>}= said:
i played one tonight at my local best buy as well and i have to say that i am impressed. the machine looks much better in person than in pictures. i played metroid prime hunters and the control was great. the touch screen was extremely responsive to both the stylus and my finger.

metroid prime hunters looks great in person--much better than i expected. while the hardware may lack texture filtering and anti-aliasing, metroid was extremely smooth and crisp-looking. there was some minor warping, but by no means was it unbearable and i've seen many ps1 games that looked much worse. i think people will find that the ds hardware ends up delivering well (graphically) as the hardware gets older.

lastly, i'd want to say, having actually used the hardware that i think the ds is a great move for nintendo. i don't use handhelds and i probably never will, but i think that the ds does offer something "different" and creates opportunities for different types of games and gameplay. before using the unit, i looked at the ds as a gimmick, but i am now a believer. thanks for reading...

I definitely agree with you. It does just feel very different, and by that I mean.. it feels VERY nice. I can see games like Warioware using the touch screen in awesome ways. I mean, even just to look around in first person in Metroid is good enough, but I have a feeling it's going to be a huge part of some games.. :)

And I think the machine is definitely more powerful than the N64 on some respects, and it falls a little short on others.
Better than:
I think it can handle more polygons (at least from the look of Metroid, and considering it's only a first-gen DEMO) and from what I've seen of Mario 64 DS.

Worse than:
Obvious ones are non-existent texture filtering, slight warping, and non existent anti-aliasing. They aren't that big of a deal on a small screen though. I was very worried that DS games would end up looking like shit PSOne games, but they don't (at least from my few minutes of impressions).

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that the opening "cinema" of the camera swinging around Ms. Samus looks great. Awesome, in fact. Very cool how it's spread across the two screens.

AlphaSnake

kitchenmotors said:
Opa age? I've never even posted there. I've been on GAF since the pre-Dreamcast days. You need to lighten up dip shit. You always over react, it was a playful jab.

I don't overreact when it's from someone I know. I see a junior member hounding me and I figure you're from OA. I could care less how long you've been here, I've been here for 3 years now...but what does that have to do with anything? Anywho, if you're gonna' take "jabs" at people here, how about you post a pic of yourself in one of the pic threads, k?

Tenguman

AlphaSnake said:
I don't overreact when it's from someone I know. I see a junior member hounding me and I figure you're from OA. I could care less how long you've been here, I've been here for 3 years now...but what does that have to do with anything? Anywho, if you're gonna' take "jabs" at people here, how about you post a pic of yourself in one of the pic threads, k?

Woh 3 years. More like GrandpaSnake

AlphaSnake said:

I'm not a junior member, it's just my tag. And I've posted my photo before in the pic threads. It doesn't matter who it is, when you've had a pic altered in photoshop or given a funny tag, expect to hear about it from someone who knows the story. To get as upset as you do over everything is stupid, especially when everyone is guilty of jabs, this is GAF you know.

AlphaSnake

kitchenmotors said:
I'm not a junior member, it's just my tag. And I've posted my photo before in the pic threads. It doesn't matter who it is, when you've had a pic altered in photoshop or given a funny tag, expect to hear about it from someone who knows the story. To get as upset as you do over everything is stupid, especially when everyone is guilty of jabs, this is GAF you know.

Hehe, I only got upset cuz I thought you were from OA. Like I said, others (Lonestar/HalfPastNoon, Piston, etc. etc.) take jabs at me and I don't get upset 'cuz I know them. But when some nobody does...that's a different story. To me, you're a nobody.

olimario said:
Alpha is pathetic.
Everyone loves Metroid DS.
Touch Screen works wonderfully.
Game looks nice.

Just curious, cause I haven't seen any impressions from you.. but have you played the system yet, oli? I can't tell from the above stuff.. ;)

belgurdo

Banned
AlphaSnake said:

crying_baby.jpg

AlphaSnake said:

gods, are you tedious...

jenov4

Wow this thread sure derailed fast.

train.jpg

Anyways, I hope my local EB has a DS kiosk setup. I am heading there today. :D

Saki

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Hehe, I only got upset cuz I thought you were from OA. Like I said, others (Lonestar/HalfPastNoon, Piston, etc. etc.) take jabs at me and I don't get upset 'cuz I know them. But when some nobody does...that's a different story. To me, you're a nobody.
Shut up Sidaman!! :lol

As for the impressions, groovy.

kitchenmotors said:
Don't mind him. He's just spreading the DS hate. While we're all enjoying one of the FPS experiences ever, he'll festering in his own seething hate and insecurity.

puck1337

How does it play when it doesn't have a kiosk holding the DS for you? Or is the demo DS unit secured by something flimsy?

AlphaSnake

Damn you guys love me. Hehehe, people hating someone over the net. Good times.

Agent X

I saw the Nintendo DS very briefly today, with a demo of the Metroid Prime demo. It actually looked rather smooth in action, compared to some of the videos I've seen on the Internet. I thought it was fairly impressive.

AlphaSnake

olimario said:
alphaa.jpg

"A sad crying clown in an iron lung... I've always wanted one of those"

:lol :lol

But you of all people shouldn't be talking. Still funny, tho.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I just got back from the mall (had to go get my glasses adjusted), and the glasses store is right next to EB, so I went in, and saw 2 DS's... I figured out all the commands and stuff rather quickly (took me a bit of time to realize that double tapping the screen makes you jump)... but I was impressed at its responsiveness. I didn't notice the heavy pixellation too much on the screen, either. The control is good, I'm just worried - those XYAB buttons look really small :p

Agent X

djtiesto said:
The control is good, I'm just worried - those XYAB buttons look really small :p

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I also noticed how tiny those buttons were. I didn't get to play the system, so I don't know how it "feels," but they look really tiny.

Top Bottom