• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: GBA

MrparisSM

Banned
Doesn't this come out the same day as San Andreas?? I'm really intrigued to see how this version turns out. Wish Rockstar would release a video of the gameplay already. But we don't have to long to wait. :D

MrparisSM

Banned
GTA5.jpg

GTA4.jpg

GTA3.jpg

GTA2.jpg

GTA1.jpg

MrparisSM said:
Yep 10/26 is listed on most sites. :) Has anyone played the 2D GTAs?? Were they as fun as the 3D versions?

you haven't played the 2D GTA's? Some people prefer them to the 3D ones (major minority here), they were pretty fun nevertheless. Just can't hold a candle to the 3D ones IMO.

MrparisSM

Banned
"...one of the Game Boy Advance's most anticipated titles ever... from what I've played this week, Grand Theft Auto Advance truly realizes what made the series such a success on the big boy systems." - IGN

"The GBA game features the whole package. Expect more than 300 diversions, including taxicab schlepping, vigilante missions in squad cars, ambulance rescue missions, firefighting in a hook-and-ladder, plus the odd spot of unrestrained violence." - Electronic Gaming Monthly

"All the great features of the hit console game are here: Liberty City's different islands and neighborhoods (each with their own distinct look and feel), dozens of different vehicles to commandeer (including SWAT vans and tanks), over 300 side missions (such as rampages, street racing, and taxi pickups), and the series' trademark open-ended gameplay." - Game Informer

Some impressions to hold us over!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Holy shit they actually went all out with this game? And here I thought it was just a cheap and quick way to capitalize on the GTA phenomenom (with all the delays and constant developer switching).

Goddamn I may have to buy this.

DCharlie said:
Doesn't Payback come out today though? that looks a little more sexier....

http://www.apex-designs.net/payback_screens.html

Check out the vid - looks cool.

Ugh. The low framerate makes it look very chaotic IMO. No thanks - respect to the developers, but if the system just can't realise 3D graphics with fluid gameplay just let it be. We've seen many impressing 3D graphics demos for the GBA over the years, but none of them could make a fluid game. I think Rockstar Leeds (Mobius Entertainment) did the right decision with 2D top view. You know, the 3D graphics in Payback don't even give a real advantage for the gameplay compared to GTA: A.

Grubdog

Banned
Can anyone tell me if GTA Advance has the nice simple controls of the PC versions of GTA1 and GTA2, or if it's clunky and annoying like the "press X to go forward" PSX versions?

I'm glad to see they're putting effort into this game, something that was really lacking in GTA2 for GBC. :p

MrparisSM

Banned
Guns N' Poops said:
Ugh. The low framerate makes it look very chaotic IMO. No thanks - respect to the developers, but if the system just can't realise 3D graphics with fluid gameplay just let it be. We've seen many impressing 3D graphics demos for the GBA over the years, but none of them could make a fluid game. I think Rockstar Leeds (Mobius Entertainment) did the right decision with 2D top view. You know, the 3D graphics in Payback don't even give a real advantage for the gameplay compared to GTA: A.

You can have varying height with the terrain with a 3D engine, but other than that there's no real gameplay advantage. But to me PayBack just looks badass. I wish GTA:A looked as good.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Grubdog said:
Can anyone tell me if GTA Advance has the nice simple controls of the PC versions of GTA1 and GTA2, or if it's clunky and annoying like the "press X to go forward" PSX versions?

I don't think they can use PSone controls since the Gameboy doesn't have many buttons to begin with. Maybe they'll map the buttons for acceleration and braking in car,which is fine with me since the 2D GTA's didn't have drive by shootings

MrparisSM

Banned
Wario64 said:
I don't think they can use PSone controls since the Gameboy doesn't have many buttons to begin with. Maybe they'll map the buttons for acceleration and braking in car,which is fine with me since the 2D GTA's didn't have drive by shootings

Hey Wario check out the Payback vids!

Grubdog

Banned
Wario64 said:
Yeah, I forgot to mention the GBC version used PSX controls though, which is why i'm worried.

And Payback looks almost unplayable, the framerate is terrible.

Grubdog said:
Yeah, I forgot to mention the GBC version used PSX controls though, which is why i'm worried.

That would be weird if they did - I thought GTA1/2 PC's Resident Evil style control scheme worked perfectly fine.

And Payback looks almost unplayable, the framerate is terrible.

Bingo.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
GTA1 was the shit. GTA2 sucked the mad cock. This looks more like GTA1 and that rocks. =D

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
*edits*

Your thread isn't "official." Overuse of the term will lead to Very Bad Things.

Jonnyram

I loved GTA1, so I'm pumped for this. It's gonna be lacking the soundtrack, but the gameplay should still be fun. Anyone know if there's any cool multiplayer modes like the original had? I'm utterly stunned that Nintendo have allowed this, though I see no blood in the screenshots...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
HAHA Awesome its not crappy GBA 3d!

My opinion = Justified

2d GBA games >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 3d GBA games

Payback can go rot.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Payback can go rot."

Payback has 4 player support - making it 4 times better than every single player game ever.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
it doesnt really matter because crap (Payback may be good itself but it will be dragged down by the inability of the GBA to do 3d graphics at a decent framerate) with 4 players is just 4 times the crap.

DCharlie

"it doesnt really matter because crap (Payback may be good itself but it will be dragged down by the inability of the GBA to do 3d graphics at a decent framerate) with 4 players is just 4 times the crap."

the vids look fine to me , i'm excited about checking it out. It's not like it's the worlds most complicated 3d world.

It looks to all extents and purposes identical to a GTA game - so if the 4 player link up is good, then bring it.

I'm a big fan of the original GTA so a new handheld version is most welcome of course

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Has anyone actually played Payback?

Has anyoned play GTA:A in any shape or form? I really want to purchase a portable GTA title and Payback looks like it could be fun.

Screenboy

Remember when a company created a 3D engine for the GBA and they made a GTA clone demo to show off it's ability?

It didn't look too bad, some of the other demos were quite good aswell.

Other than that, this looks pretty average to me, GTA Advanced was announced then apprently canned when it sparked rumors of the GTA series going over to the Gamecube, but apprently it was still produced.

-SB

Aktuelle Wertungen des NGC Magazins

25.10.04 - Hier sind neue Wertungen des englischen NGC Magazins (Ausgabe 100) von Future Publishing Ltd. Maximal werden 100 % vergeben (Danke an tnman).

Gamecube

Paper Mario 2 (GC, Nintendo): 91 %
Tales of Symphonia (GC, Namco): 84 %
Need for Speed Underground 2 (GC, EA): 69 %
X-Men Legends (GC, Activision): 80 %
The Lord of the Rings - The Third Age (GC, EA): 69 %
MegaMan X Command Mission (GC, Capcom): 61 %
Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2: Bush Rescue (GC, EA): 64 %
NBA Live 2005 (GC, EA): 71 %
Terminator 3 Redemption (GC, Atari): 76 %
Tony Hawk's Underground 2 (GC, Activision): 82 %

Game Boy Advance

Payback (GBA, Zoo Digital Publishing): 43 %
Astro Boy (GBA, Sega): 89 %
Racing Gears Advance (GBA, Orbital Media): 70 %
FIFA 2005 (GBA, EA): 84 %
Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA, Sega: 74 %

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap konnte nicht getestet werden, weil Nintendo ihnen eine alte E3 Version geschickt hat.

(gamefront.de)

Mashing

I can't wait to play GTA on the DS (I'm hoping both the PSP and the DS get a version of it... some great possiblities with GTA on the DS).

DCharlie

GTA3 streams like a mother... it would need a serious rechange if they went down the PSP route...

however, if they did an old style 2d GTA... *drool*

Kon Tiki

Banned
DCharlie said:
GTA3 streams like a mother... it would need a serious rechange if they went down the PSP route...

however, if they did an old style 2d GTA... *drool*

I would kill for a 2d GTA. Too bad they wont make one ever again...

MrparisSM

Banned
I can't find this game anywhere! My store doesn't have it, and I've called EB and Game spot in my area and they have no idea when they are going to get it now. They thought it would be coming today aswell... What gives?? I don't have a PS2, and want to play some fuking GTA!

It's funny how this game is apparently 5 times bigger than GTA3 (the map is anyway). But it doesn't matter since every area looks the same.

Top Bottom