• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great Movies You Could Watch Multiple Times A Year

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
These movies are not exactly "historical" but I could watch them many times in the course of a year.

VcZ8vrg.jpeg

Probably one of the grittiest and heart felt depictions of interracial brotherhood and combat I've ever had the pleasure of watching! You see Norsemen (Vikings) not looking like what we've been conditioned to see them as... The people feel real and authentic... The villages feel lived in... The humor hits every time... The emotional highs connect... It's everything you want in an "historical" movie that doesn't feel like Hollywood's version of their history.

Mo15gII.jpeg

The Director's Cut of this movie is MUCH more enjoyable than the already enjoyable theatrical cut.

This movie was my introduction to Mads Mikkelsen as the Zen warrior who was obviously taught by East Asian and nomadic Middle East warriors.

I loved the characters of Bors and Lancelot... Arthur, though, is every man who dreams of peace and joy for his found brothers but, in the end, must accept that they will have to fight for their freedom. The camaraderie and love these men have for each other and their families (Bors's brothers will die for his wife and kids) is inspiring!

What about you guys?

Hrk69

Gold Member
The Lord of the Rings trilogy (extended cuts)
There Will be Blood
Avengers: Infinity War
Superbad
Inglorious Basterds

Something like that, I'll probably add more

Oh, I want to add Gantz: O to the list. I keep going back to it because it's so strange

Last edited:
21 Jump Street
A Scanner Darkly
Adventureland
American Psycho
About a Boy
MCU Phase 1 - 3
Aliens
Amelie
Batteries Not Included
Batman Begins
Back to the Future Trilogy
Brightburn
Bourne Trilogy
Blade
Black Snack Moan
Bridge to Terabithia
Coco
Children of Men
Child Play Remake
Coming To America
Can’t Hardly Wait
Donnie Darko
Dungeon & Dragons Honor Among Thieves
Die Hard
Die Hard With A Vengeance
District 9
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes
Dumbo (live-action remake)
Live Free or Die Hard
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Gladiator
Galaxy Quest
Harry Potter Movies
How To Train Your Dragon
How To Train Your Dragon 2
How To Train Your Dragon 3
Hellboy
Hellboy The Golden Army
Heat
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
Inglorious Bastards
IT
IT Chapter Two
It’s A Wonderful Day In The Neighborhood
Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade
Independence Day
Jurassic Park
Jumanji
Jaws
Klaus
Kong Skull Island
Kindergarten Cop
Kill Bill Volume 1
Kill Bill Volume 2
Life of Pi
Logan
Liar Liar
Lilo & Stitch
Lord of War
Love and Monsters
Me, Earl and The Dying Girl
Magnolia
Moon
Minority Report
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Perks of Being a Wallflower
Princess Mononoke
Pan's Labyrinth
Pacific Rim
Pirates of the Caribbean
Ready or Not
Robocop
Rocky IV
Road to Perdition
Rush Hour
Rush Hour 2
Spiderman Into The Spiderverse
Seven
School of Rock
Stranger Than Fiction
Schindler's List
Sin City
Southbound
Star Wars Episode 1
Star Wars Episode 2
Star Wars Episode 3
Star Wars Episode 4
Star Wars Episode 5
Star Wars Episode 6
Star Wars Rogue One
Superman
Superman II
Superbad
Starship Troopers
Sleepy Hollow
Silver Lining Playbook
Short Circuit
Short Circuit 2
Seeking A Friend For The End Of World
Sonic
Sonic 2
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
This is the End
The Godfather
The Godfather II
The Dark Knight
The Devil's Advocate
The Matrix
The Little Prince
The Raid
The Raid 2
The Revenant
There Will Be Blood
The Prestige
The Batman
Tumbbad
The Other Guys
The Emperor’s New Groove
The Terminator 2
The Terminator 3
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
The Super Mario Bros Movie
The Iron Giant
The Day After Tomorrow
The Fifth Element
The Color Out Of Space
The Lego Movie
Trick R Treat
The World Unseen
Up
Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust
Whiplash
Willy's Wonderland
Wreck-It Ralph
X
X-Men 2
X-Men First Class
X-Men Days Of Future Past

I rewatch all these once a year

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This movie fills me with joy every time I see it. But I'm in the minority on this board (and other areas) because y'all hate it with a passion... But ...

The Marvels
Zpl5Zqc.jpeg

I love the whimsy, the excitement of Kamala, the reluctant hero of Monica and the more openness of Carol. Nick being Nick is always a treat! I love the SWORD Space Station! I love the silliness of the flurkens ...

I'm a silly old man. Sue me.

This movie fills me with joy every time I see it. But I'm in the minority on this board (and other areas) because y'all hate it with a passion... But ...

The Marvels
Zpl5Zqc.jpeg

I love the whimsy, the excitement of Kamala, the reluctant hero of Monica and the more openness of Carol. Nick being Nick is always a treat! I love the SWORD Space Station! I love the silliness of the flurkens ...

How Dare You Wtf GIF by Sky

Joking 👀

I also rewatch Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness once a year too and that movie is divisive with MCU fans especially

Doom85

The Marvels
Zpl5Zqc.jpeg

Would have preferred it be just Ms. Marvel with Nick Fury, and they meet Drax or Mantis in space. Would have been a better trio. Brie is a good actress, but she seems done trying as Carol. And Monica, good actress, but they developed her character poorly, we knew her as a kid then suddenly she’s an adult, and the stuff about what happened to her mom is only allowed so much time as we have to get back to the WandaVision stuff. Also, different villain, this one had no presence or intimidation factor. ManaByte knows Marvel comics much better than me (X-men is my main Marvel comics knowledge, but I’m mostly DC in terms of comic knowledge) so I’m sure Mana could suggest a better cosmic villain they could have used.

Mind you, while I overall enjoyed it, I’m only critical of some of the Ms. Marvel show because I enjoyed her comic (particularly the first 20 or so issues of the original G. Willow Wilson run) and felt the show could have been much better. Save all the Pakistan stuff for a potential Season 2, and just focus on developing Kamala as a hero in Jersey City and her bonds with her family and friends there. When they had Zoe develop in the last episode, it felt rushed compared to the comic because we hadn’t seen her or the other friends for several episodes. Also, the villains were lame, why not use The Inventor, her first main villain in the comics? He’s a crazy hybrid half Thomas Edison/half bird clone, that shit would have been nuts (like, I love this stuff in comics, when will get Gorilla Grodd or Ultra Humanite in a DC movie?!)! Instead, we got a bunch of basic human villains who did nothing that noteworthy. The show was carried by the well-picked cast, and I think the first two episodes or so were spot on, but after that it got rough for me.

Doom85

How Dare You Wtf GIF by Sky

Joking 👀

I also rewatch Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness once a year too and that movie is divisive with MCU fans especially

Dr. Strange 2 slaps mostly. Could have used a bit more actual multiverse, and I think Chavez’ actress is okay but not on par with everyone else, but other than that, solid stuff. Sam Raimi’s directing style was great to see in a MCU film, and he went as hard as possible he could in a PG-13 film. Much more memorable villain than Strange 1 for that matter (they did my boy Mads Mikkelsen dirty! Man, I’m open minded towards RDJ as Doom, but damn would I have loved to see Mads as Doom).

The only Phase 4/5 movies I am mostly critical of are:

Eternals - too much time spent in the past, have the team united more quickly in the present to build their bond better, also they did Kumail Nanjiani dirty in the last act
Ant-man 3 - Scott and Kang carried the movie
Marvels - see above post

Haven’t watched She Hulk, Secret Invasion (I’m dreading this one), and Echo yet, but I enjoyed the first four shows: Wanda, Falcon, Loki, and especially Hawkeye (it’s not incredible in any aspect, just well-rounded and fun and made me smile so much). I already spoke about Ms Marvel, and Moon Knight needed better action directors and a more intimidating villain (nothing about Ethan Hawke, he did great, I just wanted a villain who could go toe to toe with Moon Knight).

Dr. Strange 2 slaps mostly. Could have used a bit more actual multiverse, and I think Chavez’ actress is okay but not on par with everyone else, but other than that, solid stuff. Sam Raimi’s directing style was great to see in a MCU film, and he went as hard as possible he could in a PG-13 film. Much more memorable villain than Strange 1 for that matter (they did my boy Mads Mikkelsen dirty! Man, I’m open minded towards RDJ as Doom, but damn would I have loved to see Mads as Doom).

Eternals - too much time spent in the past, have the team united more quickly in the present to build their bond better, also they did Kumail Nanjiani dirty in the last act
Marvels - see above post

Haven’t watched She Hulk, Secret Invasion (I’m dreading this one), and Echo yet, but I enjoyed the first four shows: Wanda, Falcon, Loki, and especially Hawkeye (it’s not incredible in any aspect, just well-rounded and fun and made me smile so much). I already spoke about Ms Marvel, and Moon Knight needed better action directors and a more intimidating villain (nothing about Ethan Hawke, he did great, I just wanted a villain who could go toe to toe with Moon Knight).

With Doctor Strange 2 I'm just happy that was a horror film disguised as a MCU film. Being a huge fan of horror. Also Wanda murdering all those cameos made my heart all warm and fuzzy. Because if it's one thing I can't stand is memberberries. It can be done well like in Infinity War, Endgame and first Spider-Verse movie. But most of the time, it's done terribly for example Spider-Man No Way Home and that Spider-Verse sequel. That was one of the many reasons why I loved the film. I actually think it should have been longer. It's underneath 2 hours which is thanks to Chapek. I might not like the agenda pushing of alot of the shows/movies of Phase 4 but Chapek was another issue entirely. That movie should have been a least around 2 hour and 30 to 50 mins. It was too short I felt especially for something that's a multiverse movie which is the main plot of this Saga

Doom85

With Doctor Strange 2 I'm just happy that was a horror film disguised as a MCU film. Being a huge fan of horror. Also Wanda murdering all those cameos made my heart all warm and fuzzy. Because if it's one thing I can't stand is memberberries. It can be done well like in Infinity War, Endgame and first Spider-Verse movie. But most of the time, it's done terribly for example Spider-Man No Way Home and that Spider-Verse sequel. That was one of the many reasons why I loved the film. I actually think it should have been longer. It's underneath 2 hours which is thanks to Chapek. I might not like the agenda pushing of alot of the shows/movies of Phase 4 but Chapek was another issue entirely. That movie should have been a least around 2 hour and 30 to 50 mins. It was too short I felt especially for something that's a multiverse movie which is the main plot of this Saga

I personally also enjoyed the “memberberries” of those Spideys because:

With No Way Home:

-it definitely gave a better potentially closing note for Garfield’s Spidey
-seeing Tobey as a Peter who’s mostly figured out his life by now just felt right
-they ditched the mask, and let Norman’s Green Goblin be the horrifying menace he should be. This movie reminded casuals that Norman will always be THE villain for Peter
-Electro was much better handled than ASM 2
-Doc Ock was pure fanservice as they just repeated his character arc, but how am I supposed to hate more Alfred Molina as Ock? Dude owns that role! Lizard and Sandman were filler fanservice, but they didn’t overuse them so it wasn’t too distracting

I don’t remember Across the Spider-verse doing it too much. Like, LEGO Spidey, sure, but it was so fun. Ben Reilly, unfortunately good character idea in the comics but so badly executed with the infamous Clone Saga that I think cameos like that are all we can expect these days for him. Seeing Donald Glover’s Aaron was nice, plus probably helped non-comic readers as since his appearance in Homecoming came out before the first Spider-verse film so non-readers wouldn’t know who his “nephew” was he mentions to Peter, and they may not have put together that is the same Aaron (albeit different universe version) who appeared one year later in Into the Spider-verse.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Marvels - see above post

She-Hulk is mostly forgettable. It's not needed for the overall story arc of the MCU. The first two episodes should suffice to know most things about her. Maybe just the first episode.

Avoid Secret Invasion. I sat through that show every week and the last episode was done so poorly, I almost regret having watched it. I think they'll bring back Danny Targaryen (I can't remember her real name) but she's so OP! The only saving graces, IMO, were Olivia Colman and the Sam Jackson and Charlayne Woodard relationship. That's it, IMO. IMO, avoid it. Watch the review and breakdown of the whole season on ScreenCrush. Ryan Arey does a brilliant job on it!

Echo... I'm not sure if they'll bring her back but I hope so and show her and her power set BETTER than what they did in the show! I grew up in a small town in Mississippi that's close to the Choctaw reservation here... I had no idea there was another Choctaw reservation in another state! But I recognized the dress and customs in one of the episodes, especially the fair and the game they played in ancient times. I loved seeing all the ASL (look at my username), too! Look at it as a prequel to Daredevil Born Again and a sequel to Hawkeye (without Kate or Clint). It's more character/family driven than action driven, even though it has some action.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Thank you BadBurger BadBurger ! I completely forgot .. the entire Bourne movie series was EXCELLENT! I could watch all of those movies back to back every month! I have never been bored by them!!!

Doom85

She-Hulk is mostly forgettable. It's not needed for the overall story arc of the MCU. The first two episodes should suffice to know most things about her. Maybe just the first episode.

Avoid Secret Invasion. I sat through that show every week and the last episode was done so poorly, I almost regret having watched it. I think they'll bring back Danny Targaryen (I can't remember her real name) but she's so OP! The only saving graces, IMO, were Olivia Colman and the Sam Jackson and Charlayne Woodard relationship. That's it, IMO. IMO, avoid it. Watch the review and breakdown of the whole season on ScreenCrush. Ryan Arey does a brilliant job on it!

Echo... I'm not sure if they'll bring her back but I hope so and show her and her power set BETTER than what they did in the show! I grew up in a small town in Mississippi that's close to the Choctaw reservation here... I had no idea there was another Choctaw reservation in another state! But I recognized the dress and customs in one of the episodes, especially the fair and the game they played in ancient times. I loved seeing all the ASL (look at my username), too! Look at it as a prequel to Daredevil Born Again and a sequel to Hawkeye (without Kate or Clint). It's more character/family driven than action driven, even though it has some action.

Well, I will be watching all of them fully, partially because of my mom. My parents were more or less the only people I spent time with during most of 2020 (not counting work), and that’s when I got my mom into the MCU as she had gotten Disney+ that year. And she prefers to watch it all and with me (she does wait for films to hit streaming). So she won’t want to skip any of the shows.

She’s fallen behind due to being mostly busy this year so we haven’t had much time to catch up so she’s only up to early 2023 mostly for Marvel entries (Guardians 3 will be her next one, also due to hearing about Deadpool 3, she says she’s up for watching all the X-men/Deadpool movies, we’ll see if she also wants to watch Blade, Daredevil, and the 2000’s FF films so she can appreciate Deadpool 3 fully). So we got a lot to catch up on.

(note: I’m not leaving my dad out on purpose, he just doesn’t get into this stuff)

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Thank you BadBurger BadBurger ! I completely forgot .. the entire Bourne movie series was EXCELLENT! I could watch all of those movies back to back every month! I have never been bored by them!!!

The first film is the best spy thriller of my lifetime IMO. It is one of those movies that manages to far outdo the book it is based on.

I personally also enjoyed the “memberberries” of those Spideys because:

With No Way Home:

-it definitely gave a better potentially closing note for Garfield’s Spidey
-seeing Tobey as a Peter who’s mostly figured out his life by now just felt right
-they ditched the mask, and let Norman’s Green Goblin be the horrifying menace he should be. This movie reminded casuals that Norman will always be THE villain for Peter
-Electro was much better handled than ASM 2
-Doc Ock was pure fanservice as they just repeated his character arc, but how am I supposed to hate more Alfred Molina as Ock? Dude owns that role! Lizard and Sandman were filler fanservice, but they didn’t overuse them so it wasn’t too distracting

I don’t remember Across the Spider-verse doing it too much. Like, LEGO Spidey, sure, but it was so fun. Ben Reilly, unfortunately good character idea in the comics but so badly executed with the infamous Clone Saga that I think cameos like that are all we can expect these days for him. Seeing Donald Glover’s Aaron was nice, plus probably helped non-comic readers as since his appearance in Homecoming came out before the first Spider-verse film so non-readers wouldn’t know who his “nephew” was he mentions to Peter, and they may not have put together that is the same Aaron (albeit different universe version) who appeared one year later in Into the Spider-verse.

I know it's just me but I felt the fanservice in both those Spider-Man films I mentioned were just forced to me

I hated especially how they didn't fix Lizard face in No Way Home

And it doesn't help that I didn't like most of Sony Spider-Man films. So I have no nostalgia when it comes to those films

Last edited:

Gp1

My "yearly rewatches" and "background while i do something else" movies.

Blade Runner Film GIF
(BOTH 1 AND 2049)

Tom Cruise GIF by Top Gun
(as you can see in my avatar, the first movie was character defining for me, but the second one is even better)

446e3f914119672afd077357cfc61095.gif

87oauh3.gif
(probably one of the most underrated movies of all times. If it weren't for "The Return of the King", this movie would have swept the 2003 Oscars)

jcabTM23Pi6ezFcpyTzF7D-970-80.gif

And some more that I'll may post later

StueyDuck

Most of the classic comedies really... Airplane, hot shots etc.

If we talking random movies that don't really fit the bill.

Then the Martian for me, I love that movie and I don't know why I do, it's definitely not a comedy (iykyk) but I guess just the whole surviving in space thing is kind of up my alley.

Secondhand lions, just a generally feel good family fun romp.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Gold Member
Goodfellas
Casino
Taxi Driver
The Departed
Best in Show
The Princess Bride
There Will Be Blood
Any of the Jackass movies always make me laugh until I'm short of breath no matter how much I watch them
Street Fighter 2 The Animated Movie
Pirates of the Caribbean
Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Any of the classic Indiana Jones films
Christmas Vacation
Die Hard
Dredd
Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels
Snatch
The Lighthouse
Hereditary
Alien
Terminator
Robocop
Spider-Man Homecoming
Evil Dead 2
Deadpool 2
The Dark Knight
Airplane
Borat
The Naked Gun
Pulp Fiction
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

There are probably more, but in no particular order these are the films that, should you put em on when I'm on a couch, you'll get nary a complaint out of me.

Mossybrew

I don't watch even my favorite movies that often. I have a stable of classics I do rewatch - I'm not gonna list them here as most have already been mentioned - but I only watch them maybe every 5 years or so. I've never been a huge rewatcher, I find that every subsequent rewatch a little bit of the magic is lost, so I ration the good shit.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
The Great Escape
Raiders Of The Lost Ark
Back To The Future
Jurassic Park
我的父親母親 (The Road Home)
Napoleon (1928)
Inception
Blade Runner
The Shawshank Redemption
The Godfather