• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greek GAF |OT| - OPA!

An old but still very topical song by Manos Hatzidakis

Kemal

Here is also a very good translation into English for non-greek people wondering what the songs says

Listen" now to the story of Kemal a young prince of the east descendant of Sinbad the mariner who believed he would "change" the world but, bitter are the "intents" (plans, designs) of Allah and "dark" the souls of humankind
In the Far East least of places Once upon a time too long ago A flask lay down empty Water moldy all along In town Mosul in town Basra Ατ the old date palm tree Weary now cry the children of the desert ancestry Only a youth of chosen legacy only a scion of royal blood Shrieks the mourning song of woe and heads towards the old tree Bedouin folk stare and wonder With eyes full of misery Oath to Allah he now binds them Yearning years are about thy Lords high mighty caught a glimpse of the youth's nigh bravery Off they go the wrathful wretches Wolves of envy Lions of sin Two the rivers trailing heaven Euphrates and Tigris both Wide and wild goes the hunting for the renegade son On him falls the scourge like rabid lithe unruly hounds of gore Tied chained he meets the Hangman Caliph's vengeful horrid hand Black the promise milk and honey of the rushing morning scene All for giving up his promise Gasping one last final glee Figures holding fast the shutters Pair of camels red scarf wind Prophet solemnly stands porter Paradise now welcomes thy Side by side high and low clouds gather as they strove If not only for Damascus's Soaring glory star of hope A month and a year later face they gaze to Allah Who all knowing and all forceful Speaks his truth to rash Sevah My downtrodden dandy come what may men don't change Whole cold steel and blazing fire Realms of men are born to be Sweet night to thee Kemal This is how life shall ever be

Blablurn

Time to contribute since my father is Greek.

Thassos is the most beautiful island in Greece!

What are some good current greek pop artists?

Time to contribute since my father is Greek.

Thassos is the most beautiful island in Greece!

What are some good current greek pop artists?

I knew from following the Footy thread there was something likable about you!

Pantelis Pantelidis (RIP)
Costas Martakis
Despina Vandi
Giorgos Mazonakis
DEMY
Antonis Remos.

Spade

Oh nice, my people! Pictures from the first page make me happy :) Hopefully I can go back to Greece for a visit in the next few years. I miss the pitadiko down the street.

Top Bottom