• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded |OT| Tell Atlus to localize this game!

Shouta

GLIVOROTBanner.png

Genre: RPG
Developer: Career Soft
Publisher: Atlus
Release: 08-19-2011 (JP)

screenshot_3.jpg

GLIVWhatis.png

Growlanser is one of Career Soft's most famous series, the other being Langrisser. The series combines strategic battles akin to an RTS with the traditional RPG progression. The first game in the series appeared on the PSX and subsequent titles have appeared on the PS2. The PSP got an enhanced port of Growlanser I in 2009 and has now received this, an enhanced port of the PS2 game. Growlanser I and IV are considered to be the best games in the series.

Some of you may be familiar with the series. Working Designs released Growlanser II and III as a package called Growlanser Generations. Atlus put out Growlanser V (subtitled Heritage of War) as well though GLV bombed hard. For some darn reason we have yet to get the best GL games in the US. Maybe Atlus will be nice and release this (probably not).

GLIVGeneral.png

What's different in this version of the game?

- Being a port, the graphics have been adjusted to take advantage of the PSP. The maps are zoomed out a little more giving you a bigger view of the action. The colors are and graphics are crisp like they were intended to be when they were created.

- Interface has been redesigned to be less gaudy overall, functionality is more or less the same as GLIV though.

- New characters have been added to the story.

- A lot of new story, both totally new and content to flesh out elements present in the original Growlanser IV. This includes a path in the story.

- New event graphics and anime cutscenes have been added to further enhance the experience.

GLIVMedia.png

006.jpg
038.jpg

030.jpg
013.jpg

014.jpg
042.jpg

012.jpg
008.jpg

0061.jpg
005.jpg

004.jpg
003.jpg

Videos

First 30 minutes of the game from the beginning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=383srgnYGhc

Growlanser IV PS2 Opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qTXvDpkpk0
Growlanser IV Over Reloaded Opening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYMD_lYxk1Y

Extra - PS2 Screenshots (in PCSX2)

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x256/ShoutaShura/GLIV OR Thread/gsdx_20110819221711.png
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x256/ShoutaShura/GLIV OR Thread/gsdx_20110819221517.png
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x256/ShoutaShura/GLIV OR Thread/gsdx_20110819221343.png
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x256/ShoutaShura/GLIV OR Thread/gsdx_20110819221119.png
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x256/ShoutaShura/GLIV OR Thread/gsdx_20110819220955.png
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x256/ShoutaShura/GLIV OR Thread/gsdx_20110819220859.png

GLIVOTOther.png

Official Growlanser IV Over Reloaded Site: http://gl4ol.atlusnet.jp/
Growlanser Realm (Fansite): http://www.growlanser-realm.com/index.htm

My impressions of previous games

Growlanser I: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16749
Growlanser Generations (II + III): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17974
Growlanser IV: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50827
Growlanser V: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113943

cj_iwakura

Never saw the impressions before, good stuff.

I really do love Growlanser II, but that could be because it was my first game, and I've yet to play I or IV.

Shouta said:
Oh and if you really want challenge, then hope GL4 comes out over here. That's ball-busting tough compared to GL2 and GL3. :lol

Yikes.

I still own the PS2 version, so I'll likely pass on this until it's either

A. Cheap
or B. Atlus USA localizes it(about as likely as Castle Shikigami 3 being released on the 360 here)

Shouta

Hah, at the time GLIV was definitely harder than II or III to me. I've gotten better with GL though so it shouldn't be as hard as before. I'm almost certain they didn't change anything in regards to difficulty.

LegatoB

Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded |OT| Tell Atlus to localize this game!
Yo, I'm sympathetic, really. I liked Growlanser 2 (as long as I walked away during auto-battle random encounters). But, realtalk, it's a PSP game. And it's late 2011. It's not happening. Let's not waste our energy.

cj_iwakura

That argument doesn't hold much water. Atlus themselves are localizing Persona 2, and Aksys are still doing PSP games. It's more a matter of Atlus USA not giving a crap about Growlanser. The big question is whether or not Atlus JP would let another publisher have it, which I highly doubt.

Sqorgar

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
That argument doesn't hold much water. Atlus themselves are localizing Persona 2, and Aksys are still doing PSP games. It's more a matter of Atlus USA not giving a crap about Growlanser. The big question is whether or not Atlus JP would let another publisher have it, which I highly doubt.
Persona is basically Atlus's biggest sellers, and P2:IS allows them to correct a great injustice from the past. Besides, outside of the SMT series, Atlus doesn't seem to be interested in Japanese games anymore.

In the past though, Growlanser was localized by Working Designs, so I think that they'd let someone else do it if there was interest.

(I, for one, would buy this game if it was released in the US - UMD or Digital, but especially UMD).

Shouta

Working on it for the Vita would be a good idea actually, but who knows in the end.

The Returns OVA focuses entirely on Diana Silvernale and I don't recall it really spoiling anything within the games.

cj_iwakura

Hmm, I notice it has the Index Corporation copyright on the title screen. So did Catherine US, but Catherine JP didn't. Might be good cause for hope, but I won't get too excited.

Dang it looks good though. I've played the intro of the PS2 version, and I can tell they didn't waste much time in bringing out the new characters.

If this does come out here, I'd wager on a PSN only release with JP audio. I'd be stunned if they sprang for a dub cast on a game this huge.

And okay with that, I am.

Those are updated combat animations, too. Nice little added flourishes.

Shouta

Yeah, there's a lot of nice little touches with the graphics. CareerSoft is really good with these enhanced ports. GL1 PSP was great as well.

I'm enjoying the story a bit more so far because my Japanese has vastly improved compared to when I first played the game.

graywolf323

I wish it would come to America but I don't have high hopes since Atlus USA really doesn't seem to care for the Growlanser series

Shouta

So you meet Magnus (new character) in the 2nd town in or so, replacing a random NPC. Does his talking and at the end says to say hello if they meet up again in the future because he feels like they have some sort of connection. Crevaniel's responses are:

- Sure
- No way
- I'm not interested in dudes with mutton chops
- Stay silent.

I laughed pretty hard.

Shouta

Already another new anime scene (if my memory serves me correctly) about an hour into the game. I always wondered what happened in the original and this video makes it a bit more clear why that happened.

KariOhki

Neo Member
I was never a fan of the character designs for IV for some reason. I think they're just too weird.

Of course I'll probably import this, I had already planned to get the PS2 original sometime, but now that I can't play PS2 imports anymore and there's this newer version...though I have to get the first Growlanser and Valkyria Chronicles III first.

Shouta

Now that you mention it, my MMORPG battle cry/greeting is PANTS! and has been for a long time. This game was the origin of that, very few of the characters have actual pants in this game. It's skirts, shorts, half-pants, one-legged pants and whatever but barely any actual pants. It's kind of like how Growlanser V has a thing for hats.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Super awesome thread! Thanks for making it, Shouta! :D

I would love for this and Growlanser 1 PSP to be localized, but the chances seem slim >.<

It would be nice if Growlanser IV Return and the OVA were also on the UMD, but alas no XD;

I'm curious how the new characters will factor into the game and what the new endings entail :D

Coxy

Urushilicious OP, I really wish this would get localised. Loved 2 and 3 so much and even enjoyed 5 quite a bit too. Dont have much hopes of it happening though :(

Shouta

Akselziys said:
Super awesome thread! Thanks for making it, Shouta! :D

I would love for this and Growlanser 1 PSP to be localized, but the chances seem slim >.<

It would be nice if Growlanser IV Return and the OVA were also on the UMD, but alas no XD;

I'm curious how the new characters will factor into the game and what the new endings entail :D

Yeah, I'd love for folks to have the chance to play Growlanser 1 but at this point the chances are slim considering how large the game is.

Returns and the OVA on the UMD would be impossible unless they had cut a lot of stuff. For reference, the original PS2 version is 1.75gb and I think the PSP version maxes out the UMD. They seemingly cut a few superfluous things to make it fit. You can see this early on into the game when they cut a few of the unneeded map graphics. Newer compression techniques probably allowed them to fit all the extra new content in but they still had to cut a few things.

matmanx1

Would definitely love it if Atlus localized this, even just a subbed localization for the PSN. I know I'm only one person but they would at least have a guaranteed sale with me!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Awesome thread! I hope to hear more impressions soon. (I am liking the Urushihara art in this thread, btw.)

I'll have to wait for a few months to play this, though... :(

I'd love it if Atlus localized this/added subtitles or put it on PSN for Vita as well.

I've always wanted to check out the Growlanser series.

That said I would buy this without a second thought if Atlus localized it.

Great thread.

I would buy this game so hard, I'd break my wallet. Growlanser is a series that I've always really liked but have had a hard time keeping up with it due to the fact that so many of the releases never make it out of Japan.

I think this would be a excellent game to reintroduce the series to North America. Though I'd prefer a retail release, I'd totally be on board for a digital release too. I just want to play the game!

Shouta

So I just got up to the point where I got my familiar and just like expected they added Tricia right where they said they would. She fits in pretty well to boot. The new familiar is kind of robotic and business like. She sort of overlaps with the original Familiar (D-LN) a little but she's a bit more extreme. No 4th name though which is a shame. The GL3 type Familiar is a choice from the get go as well because there is no GL3 save data they can access.

Game moves brisk just like the PS2 version and the auto-attack option (I don't recall it being in the original GL4 but it's been ages) is very handy for random battles. The fun of fighting random mobs for unidentified rings is coming back to me. Such a great mechanic to put into the game, gives you a good reason to fit the small critters in the game.

Shouta

Seems like they've interjected events into the game here and there where there was room to fill in the story, got a few of them as I've gone that have introduced some of the other new characters and fleshed out some of the things going on in the background. It's been awhile but the story in the early part is feeling a little more full though my it could simply be my Japanese being much better now.

Shouta

So I'm done with what I consider the first section of the game. It was longer than a remembered but still just as good. You get to see the new characters quite a bit in this first part though they don't play any major role in the story so far. They're weaved well into the story though and feels like they were always there to begin with. Tricia in particular has a nice little nod to a little, somewhat heartbreaking element found in the original game and that's still present in this. I'm wondering where the story will branch off right now.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Shouta said:
So I'm done with what I consider the first section of the game. It was longer than a remembered but still just as good. You get to see the new characters quite a bit in this first part though they don't play any major role in the story so far. They're weaved well into the story though and feels like they were always there to begin with. Tricia in particular has a nice little nod to a little, somewhat heartbreaking element found in the original game and that's still present in this. I'm wondering where the story will branch off right now.

That's really cool to hear how the new characters are woven/integrated pretty well into the story :3

I can't wait to hear even more impressions :D!

KariOhki

Neo Member
Good to hear that the new stuff is integrated well, that's always a worry with remakes for me.

Also, Akselziys, thanks for the previews of that artbook in that other thread. I didn't even know that book existed, and now it's a definite buy for me :D

Shouta

Aw, 3 VAs were changed for whatever reason in OR, Munzer, D-LN and D-LM got VA changes in this, which is unfortunate. The D-LN VAing was really good and Munzer has a much more powerful voice in the original GLIV (being Harry Ord/Elzam, heh).

Gvaz

Banned
Oh man, it's only for the PSP?

I love growlanser but I haven't touched my PSP in like a year or whenever P3P came out :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Dear Atlus,

Please bring this game to the US. If you're wondering why the other ones released in the US didn't sell, it's because they sucked and looked old as shit. But this is a PSP game! This 2D sprite art will pop on that portable screen. So on the back of the box, you can say "this game has gorgeous graphics that shame everything NIS has ever released. Even if it's in terms of art style, our product still shits all over NIS' lineup of games, including Disgaea 4 for the PS3... which frankly looks like an NES game. And XSEED? Ha! This game is sooooo much better than Trails in the Sky or any of those lame-ass Ys games. I mean, really, they're ripping you off, kid! Buy this instead if you have anything resembling balls."

The only problem is that you might have to also put that in Spanish (taking up twice the space on the box), lest rights groups start breathing down your necks. That would be annoying.

But you should release the game anyway. The reason is because you can save money by doing so. How? If you don't dub this game, you save money that you might have spent on dubbing the game. Totally logical! Your audience is weeaboos, and they'll buy it anyway, even if Johnny Yong Bosch isn't getting a paycheck. And if someone does refuse to buy the game over a lack of a dub, chances are that they're such a loser that them buying your product actually tarnishes your reputation.

Finally, if you really want to save cash on bringing this over, you could release it as a download-only title. Why would you do this? I'll tell you -- because it saves money. ...There's not much more to it than that.

But you could also have a limited edition release on your website. Like, I dunno. Maybe if you buy direct from Atlus, you get a UMD version of the game? Or maybe just a fancy box with a download code inside? You can still do the typical Atlus goodies, but by selling it direct, you don't have to deal with wholesalers and those nefarious retailers, and the risk of producing too many items is slim.

In conclusion, Atlus, you should release this game.

Sincerely,

Everybody

Shouta

So I'm getting to the halfway point of the game and I'm not quite sure where they're going to split into the new branches yet. Though, I suppose that everything up until this point in the game is setting the stage or so. Lots of stuff still going on though, and it plays to one of Growlanser's story strengths, politics and war.

On a slightly different tangent, the makers of this game didn't pull any punches and what they've done is the Fate of some characters are in the hands of the player. Depending on what you do in the game, you determine whether certain characters will be alive or not. So the game often rewards your perseverance either in battles or exploring the worlds. This isn't just minor characters either, it extends to several major characters as well. Not too many games have done this and it's a really nice element for GLIV as it's in the original as well.

RiZ III

I got the last one that came on ps2 only because I love urushiras art style, but the gameplay turned out to be pretty abysmal :/

Shouta

Combat system for GLV is more or less the same as GLIV it's just sped up and control for the main character is different. What kind of kills it is the poor programming making the hit detection and the like bad.

cj_iwakura

According to Vic, GL II and III did sell, but not enough to recoup the losses from bundling them together. V sold like garbage.

So in short, Atlus USA, if you care: 'this one doesn't suck like V. Honest!'

cj_iwakura said:
According to Vic, GL II and III did sell, but not enough to recoup the losses from bundling them together. V sold like garbage.

So in short, Atlus USA, if you care: 'this one doesn't suck like V. Honest!'
V didn't bomb either, remember? None of the Growlanser games released in the US tanked.

This game could be profitable for Atlus USA. Heck, they used to only do niche series, so I don't know why they are turning their back on their own IP.

cj_iwakura

Gunloc said:
V didn't bomb either, remember? None of the Growlanser games released in the US tanked.

This game could be profitable for Atlus USA. Heck, they used to only do niche series, so I don't know why they are turning their back on their own IP.

Their niche days are done, that's probably why.

cj_iwakura said:
I hope not.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't try for some heavy hitters, but there's a reason why so many people used to hold Atlus USA is such high regard, and that's because of their dedication to the niche/underrepresented genres and games. I'd really hate to see them totally leave that behind.

Vamphuntr

cj_iwakura said:

It's a niche game for PSP ;) . Atlus is localizing P2 Innocent Sin PSP because the Persona brand is strong but they gave up on Growlanser with 5 on PS2 (we never got VI et I remake). The Growlanser brand must not be too hot. On the other hand, you have Aksys releasing niche PSP games... Guess they've changed.

DiscoJer

cj_iwakura said:

Yeah. Xseed is pretty much the new Atlus.

Atlus is either the new Capcom or Konami.

And I guess Aksys is the new Xseed?

Top Bottom