• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Growlanser IV: Over Reloaded |OT| Tell Atlus to localize this game!

Shouta

Would be a damn shame if it didn't get here. I'd translate the game myself if someone could help me make a translation patch heh.

cj_iwakura

I know a hacker, but he's got a dozen and one things on his plate.

I'll give Atlus USA six months. I think that's reasonable.

DiscoJer said:
Yeah. Xseed is pretty much the new Atlus.

Atlus is either the new Capcom or Konami.

And I guess Aksys is the new Xseed?

No, XSeed are still awesome. They brought us Wizardry.

Shouta

Oh man, I just got past that evil bridge mission in the game.

So basically, you're trying to cross a bridge to get somewhere in the game except it's the front line of a battlefield two armies. The mission requires you to get from one side to the other with as many character as you can while fighting both armies(while they fight each other as well) and reinforcements keep coming). Took me a few tries to get through it and even then I failed it (but continued on in the story). Gonna take some work to get a Mission Complete in that.

Oh, I didn't mention this before but the game reinforces the SRPG mentality by giving story missions ratings, either Mission Complete, Mission Clear, or Mission Failed. That measures how effective you were in the battle and finishing the objectives. In a lot of cases Mission Failed isn't possible but it is in a number like the above mission. So for folks who are looking to test their mettle, Going for a Mission Complete is a nice challenge.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Shouta said:
Oh man, I just got past that evil bridge mission in the game.

So basically, you're trying to cross a bridge to get somewhere in the game except it's the front line of a battlefield two armies. The mission requires you to get from one side to the other with as many character as you can while fighting both armies(while they fight each other as well) and reinforcements keep coming). Took me a few tries to get through it and even then I failed it (but continued on in the story). Gonna take some work to get a Mission Complete in that.

Oh, I didn't mention this before but the game reinforces the SRPG mentality by giving story missions ratings, either Mission Complete, Mission Clear, or Mission Failed. That measures how effective you were in the battle and finishing the objectives. In a lot of cases Mission Failed isn't possible but it is in a number like the above mission. So for folks who are looking to test their mettle, Going for a Mission Complete is a nice challenge.

I always went for the Mission Complete cuz I'm OCD and masochistic lol

Actually I'm just a completionist XD;

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
First week sales for Growlanser IV Over Reloaded :) Ranked in the top 10 for the week XD

Here's the full top 20 covering 8/15 through 8/21. Publisher, release date and life-to-date sales are listed in parentheses.

* [PSP] 6. Growlanser IV Over Reloaded (Atlus, 08.18.11): 21,896 NEW!

Shouta

Not bad, hopefully it'll sell even more overall.

Anyway, I'm about 3/4ths the way through the game. I think I've seen where the story splits but I can't be sure since I didn't take it. Still, they've added some new events with the new characters and feels like they've expanded the story a little bit. The story seems to make a lot more sense this time around but I can't be sure if that's my Japanese being better or not, heh.

over reloaded is a terrible name, but i really liked II and III which i bought as generations. love that battle system. id like it if atlus brought this over.

Shouta

Getting towards the end of the game and there have been some new events in the section I have been in. They fit into the story surprisingly well and they don't feel out of place with the original scenario. It's rather remarkable in that regard. A lot of games that do this sort of thing and add more to the story later makes it feel a little bit out of place but it really hasn't so far in this game.

Shouta

It seems the new routes are available on the second run through the game. I suppose the devs wanted folks to experience the game's normal storyline (plus additions) and then let them see the new stuff.

I'm almost done with my first run through the game and the new additions really have made the game feel more full and interesting. The overall storyline is making much more sense and doesn't feel shortchanged like before. The new characters work very well and you get some of them in your first play through which is very nice. Apparently, the game has 50+ or so endings to boot so yeah, for folks that what to do a 100% clear, that'll take awhile.

Shouta

So I finished my first run through the game doing the base story and wow, they added quite a bit to the end including a new final battle that I wasn't expecting. The new final battle is pretty cool though easy if you know what to do. Still, it felt like a much better conclusion with all the material they added. In fact, the story overall feels a lot better now. Everything makes sense and all the characters feel pretty filled out if you're doing the vacations well.

I ended up getting one ending and according to the Appendix, that is 2% of the possible endings, and there's a lot of CGs and movies that I haven't seen either, they really added a lot.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Shouta said:
So I finished my first run through the game doing the base story and wow, they added quite a bit to the end including a new final battle that I wasn't expecting. The new final battle is pretty cool though easy if you know what to do. Still, it felt like a much better conclusion with all the material they added. In fact, the story overall feels a lot better now. Everything makes sense and all the characters feel pretty filled out if you're doing the vacations well.

I ended up getting one ending and according to the Appendix, that is 2% of the possible endings, and there's a lot of CGs and movies that I haven't seen either, they really added a lot.

That's so awesome *_* I so need to play this T_T

Shouta

I've started my scond run through the game but I've been taking it a little slow the last few days because I've just started work but I'll continue updating once I get to the new branches in the story.

Shouta

So, I've been working on that second run again after taking a break from it and mmm, it's still just as tasty the 3rd time through (once in the original, 2nd run in OR).

I have a feeling I can't shake that this is gonna get released here. The game is so good, it's giving me mental powers!

So, I've been working on that second run again after taking a break from it and mmm, it's still just as tasty the 3rd time through (once in the original, 2nd run in OR).

I have a feeling I can't shake that this is gonna get released here. The game is so good, it's giving me mental powers!

I love the 90s anime style this game is giving.

DTJAAAAM

The latest Atlus Faithful newsletter has them giving clues on their next game localization, which is something starting with the letter G. I sure hope you're right and it's this!

Shouta

The latest Atlus Faithful newsletter has them giving clues on their next game localization, which is something starting with the letter G. I sure hope you're right and it's this!

I bet it is. If their next clue is a legendary or famous anime artist worked on it or is a part of a big Japanese series, then we're in!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Shouta, did it ever feel like they tweaked the difficulty or anything gameplay-wise (outside of the new characters of course) for Over Reloaded as opposed to the original? Or does Over Reloaded just introduce new characters/story bits and UI changes? I'm quite glad that it seems like the newer characters fit into the game very well; from what you're saying they don't seem superfluous since a few games do this and the characters just seem tacked on for no reason.

Man, looking at the OP reminds me of how much I like the art for this series. I'd definitely purchase Growlanser 1 PSP and 4 OR if they were localized here.

Love this series. Did they balance the game out at all? Some of the combinations were pretty broken (probably can't remember the names, but ephinany + the ability to get life back (blood something?) + bows took a lot of the challenge away.

Even then it was still a great game.

mollipen

I will be shocked if Atlus USA releases any PSP game that isn't some sort of MegaTen-related release at this point. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't get the feeling from them that they're willing to take a chance on those kinds of titles (PSP) at this point.

Eusis

I will be shocked if Atlus USA releases any PSP game that isn't some sort of MegaTen-related release at this point. I'd love to be wrong, but I just don't get the feeling from them that they're willing to take a chance on those kinds of titles (PSP) at this point.
I dunno, I think Gungnir has a reasonable chance. Something like this though? Not if Growlanser 1 was passed over in healthier times, not unless the fact it's divorced from the WD released 2 and 3 makes a difference, and even then I think Atlus is more committed to the Dept Heaven games.

Shouta

Shouta, did it ever feel like they tweaked the difficulty or anything gameplay-wise (outside of the new characters of course) for Over Reloaded as opposed to the original? Or does Over Reloaded just introduce new characters/story bits and UI changes? I'm quite glad that it seems like the newer characters fit into the game very well; from what you're saying they don't seem superfluous since a few games do this and the characters just seem tacked on for no reason.

Man, looking at the OP reminds me of how much I like the art for this series. I'd definitely purchase Growlanser 1 PSP and 4 OR if they were localized here.

I don't think they rebalanced it or if they did, I haven't noticed. GLIV is pretty good about balancing it out by putting you into a battle at a disadvantage so you either have to take on overwhelming numbers and/or juggle a few conditions at the same time.

Love this series. Did they balance the game out at all? Some of the combinations were pretty broken (probably can't remember the names, but ephinany + the ability to get life back (blood something?) + bows took a lot of the challenge away.

Even then it was still a great game.

As I recall, they removed some of of those and balanced out others in the original version of the game. You can still be really freaking powerful though but that won't be until late into the game and even then, you aren't going to be ominpotent.

Top Bottom