• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT3 series is boring.

Gantz

Banned
After playing Burnout 3 I can't believe how slow the gameplay in GT3 is. The sense of speed is not there at all. I don't care about having a ton of cars along with customizations if you can't drive fast. The graphics are bland too.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't think I can play any racer after Burnout 3. Sure it's arcadey and GT4 or Forza is a simulation, but damn Burnout 3 is so much damn fun. Nothing compares to driving in that F1 car against traffic at 200 MPH

Mr Gump

Banned
The GT3 series?

Cue idiots coming in trying to convince that because GT has a 'realistic' sense of it speed, it is therefore a better sense of speed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I love the speed in Burnout 3, but the racing is still a bit simplistic. Fun, but it doesn't have the special touch...

Ridge Racer V and soon Outrun 2 will probably remain the two best arcade style racers when this gen is all said and done.

Socreges

Banned
dark10x said:
I love the speed in Burnout 3, but the racing is still a bit simplistic. Fun, but it doesn't have the special touch...
And what racing games do have the special touch?

Mr Gump said:
The GT3 series?
Yeah, the GT3 series. A-Spec, B-Spec, and the disappointing Return Of GT3 A-Spec.

BeOnEdge

Banned
dark10x said:

Ridge Racer V and soon Outrun 2 will probably remain the two best arcade style racers when this gen is all said and done.

iawtp. especially since BO3 online is kinda lacking. RRV fucking owns.

dark10x

And what racing games do have the special touch?

Sega racers and the Ridge Racer series. There is something so subtle in each of their games.

None of the Burnout games nailed the feeling a good Sega or Namco racer provides. At least IMO. That doesn't mean the game is bad (quite the opposite), but just like BO2...I doubt it would last me too terribly long.

Arcticfox

GT3 does seem slow because the tracks are not to the correct scale. They are much wider since they wanted the game to be more newbie friendly. After playing the E3 build of GT4, the series definitely does not have this problem anymore.

Of course it is still not nearly as fast as Burnout 3. If speed is the sole thing you are looking for in a racing game, stick with arcade style racing games. Simulations aren't for everyone.

Pimpbaa

How can somebody compare 2 racers so different that they are barely in the same genre? Of course Gran Turismo is going to seem slow compared to a game that has a massively exaggerated speed.

Gregory

Banned
I found Burnout 3 just as boring as the first 2. There`s no depth to the car handling at all and it gets monotoneus and frustrating to constantly avoid traffic all the time. It`s about as fun as the "racing" in Crazy Taxi.

Pimpbaa said:
How can somebody compare 2 racers so different that they are barely in the same genre? Of course Gran Turismo is going to seem slow compared to a game that has a massively exaggerated speed.

Plus one has a freaking turbo button. I really don't see how they can be compared in that sense because they're going for completely different things. I mean, if you find one boring then fine, but the comparison is flawed.

Gek54

Virtua Fighter sucks becuase the fighting is so slow compared to the greater sense of speen in Marvel VS. Capcom

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
dark10x said:

And this is why this man should be an admin.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
The amount RRV love on this thread makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

dark10x said:
Sega racers and the Ridge Racer series. There is something so subtle in each of their games.

None of the Burnout games nailed the feeling a good Sega or Namco racer provides. At least IMO.

In our opinion....in OUR opinion!!! Get it fucking right dude! :D

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
If any of the so called sim games simulated 170-210mph correctly then no one would be would be talking about burnout 3s speed.

The Lemans cars when doing doing over 200mph your perephrial vision is blurred as everything whips by you. The group B drivers in Rally in the 80s said that the cars used to go so fast that their eys didn't have time to focus in on some of the corners depending how the track was laid out. In a video made from Ayerton Sennas in car cam at the Phoenix Granprix a while back, when he was going down the main straight the white lines almost became solid as he hit top speed for that particular straight.

Want sense of speed? Check out Moto GP 1 for Xbox. The blurring effect gives a high sense of speed while giving the disorientation of that speed. Made the game harder to drive until you got used to it.

Meier

It's true.. I hated GT3 since it was so slow but after playing BO3, I can't even see myself bothering with GT4. It's just too damn slow... and will unquestionably be less fun.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
XboxGamers said:
simulation vs arcade? Pointless!

Not pointless. The original poster is talking about sense of speed. Apply all the things in sims and there will be no need to argue about speed in sims as compared to arcade. The framerate in simulators are high enough to give the intitial sense of speed.

The sense of speed inflicts G-forces on the body which affet a number of human senses to a negative point. Put that in the sim games and there is no need to argue about BO3.

I just wonder if this board will ever come out from the shadow of gamings past.

COCKLES

being watched
isamu said:
And this is why this man should be an admin.

The lack of:-

Rage_Racer_PAL-CD.jpg

Is a reason why he should be banned.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
There are millions of people who are interested in a driving simulation game that offers a realistic recreation of their favorite cars and race tracks. For these people, the fun is in the realism itself.

As good a game as BO3 is, it offers absolutely nothing to these people. If I want to do hot laps around the Nurburgring in the new C6 Corvette, why would Burnout influence what I think about games that allow me to do this?

Shinobi

Arcticfox said:
Of course it is still not nearly as fast as Burnout 3. If speed is the sole thing you are looking for in a racing game, stick with arcade style racing games. Simulations aren't for everyone.

I don't know...F1 sims are generally pretty fast.

GT3 is slow as molasses though...stunningly so. I always tought it was faster based on the replays, but I guess that was a bit of an illusion (not unlike F355). Still, I've played realism-based non-F1 racers that have a far better and a more realistic sensation of speed. Hopefully GT4 nails it down. I'll give that GT4 McLaren F1 vid a look in a couple minutes...hopefully it's from the first person perspective to give me an accurate gauge.

D.Cowboys said:
If any of the so called sim games simulated 170-210mph correctly then no one would be would be talking about burnout 3s speed.

The Lemans cars when doing doing over 200mph your perephrial vision is blurred as everything whips by you. The group B drivers in Rally in the 80s said that the cars used to go so fast that their eys didn't have time to focus in on some of the corners depending how the track was laid out. In a video made from Ayerton Sennas in car cam at the Phoenix Granprix a while back, when he was going down the main straight the white lines almost became solid as he hit top speed for that particular straight.

Want sense of speed? Check out Moto GP 1 for Xbox. The blurring effect gives a high sense of speed while giving the disorientation of that speed. Made the game harder to drive until you got used to it.

D.Cowboys said:
Not poitnless. The original poster is talking about sense of speed. Apply all the things in sims and there will be no need to argue about speed in sims as compared to arcade. The framerate in simulators are high enough to give the intitial sense of speed.

The sense of speed inflicts G-forces on the body which affet a number of human senses to a negative point. Put that in the sim games and there is no need to argue about BO3.

I just wonder if this board will ever come out from the shadow of gamings past.

Finally, someone who understands. And he's a Cowboys fan no less...what are the odds?

I love arcade and simulation racing games (though I prefer both to be realism based, meaning real cars with physics that aren't too off the wall), so the whole either/or thing has never computed with me. Both co-exist just fine in my house.

Gantz

Banned
How is GT realistic? It doesn't simulate real life driving speed and handling at all (neither does Burnout 3), not to mention you bounce off of cars.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
dark10x said:

You really think Outrun 2 is that fun? And not simplistic?

dark10x

COCKLES said:
The lack of:-

Rage_Racer_PAL-CD.jpg

Is a reason why he should be banned.

No worries, I always have a habit of just including Rage Racer under the "Ridge" moniker. Rage and Rave Racer are both "Ridge" Racer games to me (despite their differences). Rage Racer is my second favorite RR game, right behind RRV, though. The track design simply owns, but the controls aren't quite perfect (in comparison to RRV, I mean).

Though, I wonder if I could use a wheel with the game via ePSXe (which does wonders for it)? My wheel is USB, so I haven't had the chance to use it with any older PSX racers on actual hardware.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Dling the McLaren video now Solid.

The McLaren video is ok but not even close to what I am talking about. On the other hand it wasn't in car. I usually play my racing games either first person or in car, that's the only way to get the feel of speed in a racing game for me.

Shinobi:
Btw the Cowboys are one of the greatest franchises in the history of the NFL. :)
Fan for a very long time. Almost cried when they lost Jimmy Johnson, cried both times they lost to Pittsburgh.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Gantz said:
How is GT realistic? It doesn't simulate real life driving speed and handling at all (neither does Burnout 3), not to mention you bounce off of cars.

As far as the driving model and physics engine are concerned, GT is near the top in terms of realism. For instance, I've always found it amazing that one could realistically pull off drifts in the game even when that facet of the gameplay wasn't explicitly programmed in (as it is with arcade games like Daytona, Outrun 2, etc.) Cars that drift well in real life are the cars that drift well in the game. That more than anything suggests to me that the driving model is quite robust and very true-to-life.

What makes you think that the game is unrealistic?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Gantz said:

Ever driven 120MPH for about 5 minutes straight? Let alone 30 seconds. It really doesn't feel fast after the first 10 seconds.

AlphaSnake

I've done it late at nights; more than once, too. Find a nice long stretch of highway road and floor it. It ain't that scary.

Gattsu25

Banned
mashoutposse said:
What makes you think that the game is unrealistic?

you don't get it....burnout3 is more realistic because when you pass cars you get boost, when you crash into them your boost meter gets BIGGER!!! and then when you use boost you GO REALLY REALLY FAST!!! that alone makes burnout3 more realistic or 'better'

now...i'm liking BO3 (the retarded AI keeps it at just 'like') a lot...but BO3 and GT3 are completely different games and both try for completely different audiences

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
SolidSnakex said:
Not being an expert on sim racers at all, I still would at least think that the fact that the speed is being measured in km/h and he isn't topping 170 km/h (~100mph) most of the time and the fact that course would probably be terrible to try to go flat out on makes this a less than ideal example of what the engine is capable of.

Gattsu25

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
I've done it late at nights; more than once, too. Find a nice long stretch of highway road and floor it. It ain't that scary.

What car do you drive? I drive a '93 Stanza and I can personally admit that driving over 100MPH is scary in more than one way...after the hurricane that just hit florida, on my way home, I drove through 2 FL counties at ~100MPH and I swear I'll never do it again...my car just about fell apart and turning was a bitch :b

Stanza.JPG

It's not my color, but it should give you an idea :D

Shinobi

D.Cowboys said:
Shinobi:
Btw the Cowboys are one of the greatest franchises in the history of the NFL. :)
Fan for a very long time. Almost cried when they lost Jimmy Johnson, cried both times they lost to Pittsburgh.

Haha...well I'm a Redskins fan, and almost cried when they hired back Joe Gibbs. :lol

AlphaSnake

Gattsu25 said:
What car do you drive? I drive a '93 Stanza and I can personally admit that driving over 100MPH is scary in more than one way...after the hurricane that just hit florida, on my way home, I drove through 2 FL counties at ~100MPH and I swear I'll never do it again...my car just about fell apart and turning was a bitch :b

Stanza.JPG

Well, I guess this is where we differ.

PICT0019.jpg

That's my car. I feel very comfortable driving it at high speeds. I just dropped the car a tad (this picture was taken the day it was dropped) and it feels even better to drive at high speeds.

BTW: Yes, that picture is broken. It's not anybody's browsers acting up. I had a huge HD crash last night and when I recovered my files, this is how my most recent pictures of the car came back.

hgplayer1

even though I think GT is a great game, I dont think its the best RACING game and I dont consider it the best of sims. the only reason I wouldnt consider it a great racer is that the AI is horrible. Im sure racing against human opponents is a much different story but until GT4 comes out and I can play online, Ive yet to race against a human opponent. It wil still have that bumper cars feel to it though with no car damage. sure there might be some kind of penalty implemented but it'll feel fake, ya know what I mean? GT is probably the best sim that Ive played when compared to other games but I wouldnt say its so real it amazes me. I think F355 does just about as good a job at simulating driving. Ive had better racing experiences with some of the better F1 games that have come out in the past.

I agree with the sense of speed being relative to the type of road youre on. small narrow roads will give you a bigger sense of speed than a wide open long stretch of road will. the fastest Ive ever gone in a car is about 110 mph and it really didnt feel as fast as I thought but it was on the freeway.

Gattsu25 said:

Stanza.JPG

lol! I agree with you about driving 100mph is freaking scary. I drive a Porsche 944 and the top speed is about 132mph but I only went 100mph because I was freaking out at the speed.

i remember i was driving my dad's truck on the freeway at night last year and the fucking thing shut off when i got to 100mph. Turns back on when you get under. Scared the shit out of me.

hgplayer1

Ninja Scooter said:
i remember i was driving my dad's truck on the freeway at night last year and the fucking thing shut off when i got to 100mph. Turns back on when you get under. Scared the shit out of me.

I think thats common in most newer cars though the speed varies.

ourumov

dark10x said:

RRV is still the king at my home :)

AlphaSnake

XboxGamers said:
lol! I agree with you about driving 100mph is freaking scary. I drive a Porsche 944 and the top speed is about 132mph but I only went 100mph because I was freaking out at the speed.

Where do you live? I live in NYC, and our highways are shit! That's where you should be freaking out. But in states like MA, AZ, NV, MN and others...doing 100 feels like 80 because the roads are so frigin wide. In fact, last month, on my way back from MA, I average a driving speed of 90. In NYC, are highways are not only bumpy, but very curvy. I had to get on the LIE (I495) and drive down nearly 20 exits until I got to the 4 lane area where it's nothing but a straight drive for a couple of miles. Didn't get too scared. It was kinda' fun. Not a single car in sight...what a blast.

Top Bottom