• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA SA smashes UK sales records

Razoric

Banned
jarrod said:
Though if we're adding all versions of Vice City for it's 13M total (PS2, PC & Xbox) shouldn't we do the same for Mario games? Meaning Mario 3 gets an extra 12M or so from the SNES/GBA rereleases?

Oh god here we go again. :\

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I don't think it could pull that off, it'll be the best selling game this gen by atleast 2 million units. Rockstars gotta have a big smile on their face when they look at the charts and see 3 GTA's sitting in the top 3 spots.
Behind Pokemon RuSa you mean? :p

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Pokemon, with its dual color releases, benefits greatly from lots of people buying the same game twice.

As far as single release titles are concerned, there's nothing on par with GTA.

jarrod

Banned
mashoutposse said:
Pokemon, with its dual color releases, benefits greatly from lots of people buying the same game twice.

Er... except that GTA also has multiple releases counting towards that total with the potential for repeat buyers...

-Grand Theft Auto 3 (PS2)
-Grand Theft Auto 3 (PC)
-Grand Theft Auto Double Pack (PS2)
-Grand Theft Auto Double Pack (Xbox)

-Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PS2)
-Grand Theft Auto Vice City (PC)
-Grand Theft Auto Double Pack (PS2)
-Grand Theft Auto Double Pack (Xbox)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Those are all ports. Barring minor graphical differences, the content is identical to the original. The overwhelming majority do not re-purchase the same game on a different system. In addition, the demand for these additional versions is lessened greatly by the lead time given to the original.

However, Pokemon, a collecting game, sees a dual-version simultaneous release which contain altered sets of Pokemon to collect.

The two situations cannot be compared.

jarrod

Banned
Bob White said:
Mario, GTA, and Pokemon are all great sellers. Also, who the fuck cares?
I'd agree... but I also think keeping standards fair is key also. GTAVC has not sold 13M on one platform alone, with one release. It sold most of it sure, but then Mario 3's sold most of it's 30M total on one platform with one release as well. And here dual color releases would hurt Pokemon, as people are more inclined so simply buy one version therefore halving upfront total sales.

Deg

Banned
mashoutposse said:

GT3 ;)

jarrod

Banned
mashoutposse said:
Those are all ports. Barring minor graphical differences, the content is identical to the original. The overwhelming majority do not re-purchase the same game on a different system. In addition, the demand for these additional versions is lessened greatly by the lead time given to the original.

However, Pokemon, a collecting game, sees a dual-version simultaneous release which contain altered sets of Pokemon to collect.

The two situations cannot be compared.
Barring minor content differences, the dual Pokemon releases are identical too. And I'd also say it's likely the overwhelming majority do not purchase every color as well, unless you have some insightful documentation suggesting otherwise?

Also the PC GTA's have additional content added (as all popular PC games) by their respective mod scenes no? Giving a significant incentive for PS2 owbers to rebuy (on top of higher resolutions and stable framerates). I'd say a "better version" gives more incentive to rebuy than a "dual version" (adding only extra monsters you can get anyway without buying the same game twice). After all, it's the social component that made Pokemon the phenomenon it is in the first place.... kids do actually trade/battle these monsters ya know. ;)

The only reason I can imagine most Sony fans crying foul whenever the comparison's brought up is likely because Pokemon is still the best selling game release this generation (and ever outside Mario). If San Andreas shoots past 14M before RuSa, I expect many tunes to miraculously change.

"If San Andreas shoots past 14M before RuSa, I expect many tunes to miraculously change."

If it does RuSa won't be brought up in the first place so tunes won't change.

GDJustin said:
I dunno, they're just notoriously hard to get ahold of. I couldn't even speak to someone about the game's success via phone, to get quotes. The best I could manage was emailing some Qs to be FWDd on to the appropriate people, and my deadline is approaching with no word back.

*shrug*

Well, we know that they shipped 4.5 million, right. In the UK, it sold 677k in 2 days (but again, we already know that). It would be nice to get Take-Two to respond, but if you could get some good comments from EB and/or Gamestop that would be great.

Just wondering, where does gamedaily fit in the pecking order for Publishers? I'd assume that the print media (Ziff Davis & Imagine) are first along with IGN & Gamestop. But you guys have pretty good visibility, but you do seem to have changed your focus a bit lately to be a less "insider".

MrparisSM

Banned
Project Midway said:
I dont think the popularity of GTA SA in EU has anything to do with hiphop culture... people just like fun and violent games. And if the title starts with "GTA", it helps too.

You obviously have no idea of the power of hip hop culture. It's become HUGE, and they love Hip Hop over there. 50 cent is one of the best selling artists as well as many other hip-hop acts. I can quarentee if they hadn't used this "setting" for the game it wouldn't be selling aswell or have as much interest. It was very smart of Take Two to take a risk like that. Sure it still might have down GTA 3 numbers, but it wouldn't have beaten GTA:Vice City's numbers, which it's well on it's way to doing now. :)

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
"If San Andreas shoots past 14M before RuSa, I expect many tunes to miraculously change."

If it does RuSa won't be brought up in the first place so tunes won't change.
Only because there'll be no need for correction at that point.

bunkum

I don't have a link for this but I have been told by someone very close to Take Two in the UK the initial PAL shipout was 2.5m units. They have started shipping more so will try and get a update later in the week.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Aww fuck. Stupid UK.

Bit strange I haven't seen it sell out anywhere yet, pretty sure I remember places selling out of Vice City last time round.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Great King Bowser said:
Aww fuck. Stupid UK.

Bit strange I haven't seen it sell out anywhere yet, pretty sure I remember places selling out of Vice City last time round.

Its still in every store round here (its obviously sold a lot, theres a lot of empty shelves, still plenty left though).

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
sonycowboy said:
Just wondering, where does gamedaily fit in the pecking order for Publishers? I'd assume that the print media (Ziff Davis & Imagine) are first along with IGN & Gamestop. But you guys have pretty good visibility, but you do seem to have changed your focus a bit lately to be a less "insider".

I honestly can't say. I've been doing the biz stuff since September and I've spoken with only one person who wasn't familiar with the name, , then said they'd call me back and never did. Everyone else has either cooperated fully or been unable to due to time contraints or whatever else. That one rep is the only time I've experienced a setback in getting what I wanted simply because I was Gamedaily, and I call a lot of people every day, so yeah...

I don't work on the consumer side of GD and my Biz work keeps me pretty isolated, but the guys on that side are invited to all the same events as everyone else, these days (for hands on impressions and schmoosing etc).

gtmax

Rockstar is a British Company though they operate in the US. Isn't the England-based studio the one making GTA games? Also wasn't there a London '69 GTA game? So basically, Brits love stuff that comes from England. And the game is also the best damn game ever.

cja

gtmax said:
Rockstar is a British Company though they operate in the US. Isn't the England-based studio the one making GTA games? Also wasn't there a London '69 GTA game? So basically, Brits love stuff that comes from England. And the game is also the best damn game ever.
Scottish not English! Yeah, the GTA franchise has always sold here. The original, London and no.2 were all top five holiday games, I think one of the 2D PlayStation outtings actually topped the Christmas charts or got very close to it (probably beaten by FIFA, meh).

pilonv1

I wonder if it keeps going at such a high rate though, you'd think most pre-order people would be in on the first 1-2 days. There's no doubt it will keep going, but I think it will slow a bit.

jarrod
Banned

:lol

MrparisSM

Banned
pilonv1 said:
I wonder if it keeps going at such a high rate though, you'd think most pre-order people would be in on the first 1-2 days. There's no doubt it will keep going, but I think it will slow a bit.

:lol

:lol why'd he get banded?

Top Bottom