• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTO Live Action Movie = wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjork

We got this in at work yesterday, so it got tossed in the dvd player and we watched it.

What the hell?

Onizuka isn't blonde, doesn't have earrings, doesn't smoke all the time, and wears an all-black suit for most of the film. The story is slightly similar to what you'd see in the anime (
school is going to be demolished, he kidnaps a girl and takes off in a stolen hot air balloon and ends everything with a happy ending
}, but it really wasn't what I expected.

For those who've seen both this movie and the live action tv series, are they similar to each other? The final episode of the live action show was supposedly the highest-viewed thing ever in Japanese tv history or something, but I can't imagine that being true if the show is anything like the movie...

Mugen

Banned
GTO L-A tv series is not bad. Though it doesn't compare with the anime obviously.

The movie I haven't seen either.

Zaptruder

Banned
The drama series is alot more faithful to the manga than the movie. That said, it does take alot of liberties and changes the characters around a bit... so that Fuyutsuki becomes the love interest of Onizuka, is a teacher that is somewhat bitter about teaching (she wants to become an airline hostess) but is shown the 'joys' of teaching by Onizuka.

It's different to the anime... shorter and well... more drama like, it does contain what I believe were the core elements that made Onizuka charming in the first place. People that watch either the anime or the drama first tend to be polarized by their first viewing; I saw GTO as a drama first, and I prefer it as a drama.

The movie is... just strange and different compared to the series or anime.

*edit*

more drama like; but still cheesy... it's GTO, but Live-Action!

karasu

movie should be watched after the series. It's good, he's still mischievous and shit, and smokes. It's live action so of course it can't be as off the wall as an anime. I love both.

Sai

repentance-monkey.JPG

Anime owns it across the globe!

I still need to read the manga...

Asbel

People that watch either the anime or the drama first tend to be polarized by their first viewing

True for most things. But I've gotten people who give the drama a decent chance to actually really like it.

If it wasn't for the drama's popularity, there probably wouldn't be an anime. The manga wasn't doing so hot from what I heard. The drama is more fast paced so that is probably why it got mass appeal.

GTO drama > manga > anime in terms of entertainment. The post anime manga stories have been kick ass. You guys make it as if it's not the anime, it's not the genuine thing and not good.

bjork

My introduction to GTO was the manga, and I've read 1-18 so far... waiting on the rest now, and I hope the ending differs from the anime.

mint

Banned
Haha pretty funny how my friend just got into it as well. I only seen one episode of it, and I think its pretty cool.

Asbel

I would say at least give 3 continuous episodes of the drama a chance to see if you like the difference it takes. One episode doesn't do enough to make it stand out from the anime/manga nor would it get you attached to these 'new' characters and their quirks. Asuza is a definite improvement in the drama.

I can see myself liking the manga and it's dumb Onizuka as much as the drama because both remain very entertaining despite telling Onizuka's story differently.

RiZ III

The GTO Live Action Series is actually pretty good. The movie sucked. Especially if you don't watch the live action series first. Thers 11 episodes, a special then the movie.

robox

coming off the anime series and a bit of the manga, i was completely turned off by the first episode of the live action. it tries to follow the actual storyline arcs but because of the limitations of live action it comes off really badly and horribly cheesy. i was put off on watching it for months.

when i did decide to watch it further, the cheese stop being so pungent and started to accept the adaptation made to the live action. It's still good GTO, but not crazy over the top GTO and not as good as the anime/manga.

Asbel

It's not staged if that's what you had in mind. That's Genki Sudo. One of the top mix martial artist in his weight class. He likes to dance in his fights and at the end of the match, he'll hold up a flag that says 'We are all one.'

Watched a bunch of GTO Live since SBC was down yesterday. It's been a year since my first watch and I'm more immersed in the manga now but these Live characters are still great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom