• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild02: The Starship Damrey |OT| Nothing is more frightening than complete innocence

oZPSJcA.png

Uchuusen Damrey-Gou/The Starship Damrey
Developer: Kazuya Asano and Takemaru Abiko for Level-5
Publisher: Level-5 [Japan]/Level-5 International America [North America & PAL]
Platform: Nintendo 3DS (eShop Exclusive)
Genre: Adventure/Horror
Release Date: March 27, 2013 [Japan]/May 16th, 2013 [North America & PAL]
Price: ¥800 [Japan]/$7.99 [North America]/€7.99|£7.19 [PAL]
Official Websites: Japan/North America/PAL

03X1j70.png

What is The Starship Damrey?
viarYJ5.png

The Starship Damrey is an adventure/horror game designed by Kazuya Asano and written by Takemaru Abiko (creators of the classic adventure game The Night of the Sickle Weasel) made for Level-5's Guild Series. (Specifically the Guild02 set of games.)

Players awaken upon the titular starship in a Cold Sleep chamber with no memories of who they are, how they got there or why they are aboard the Damrey. Will you journey into the dark depths of the Damrey and try to discover the inconceivable truth that lies within? Or will despair claim the final shreds of your mind...

Who are Level-5?
IiLe2DR.png

Level-5 is an independent video game developer based in Japan who specialize in adventure games, puzzlers, soccer sims and RPGs. They are especially known for their Professor Layton, Izuma Eleven and Dark Cloud series, and for the aforementioned Guild Series of games for the 3DS.

What is the Guild Series?
MXSiFp9.gif
eVrSNqN.png

The Guild Series are a set of smaller, experimental games that Level-5 has developed in partnership with various creative forces in the video game industry. Ranging from airport sims to table top RPGs, from claustrophobic adventure/horrors to heartwarming slice of life tales, the Guild Series aims to provide players with a multifaceted collection of games intended to give the player a multitude of varied gaming experiences. Some of the video game creators that have already contributed to the Guild Series include Keiji Inafune, SUDA51 and Yasumi Matsuno.

Originally released as a retail package in Japan of the first four games in the series (the Guild01 compilation), the series failed to make a strong impact initially. Level-5 then decided to sell the games individually through the Nintendo eShop in North America and beyond under the "Black Box" moniker, which breathed new life into the series. Now seven titles strong, the Guild Series is quickly becoming one of the most exciting attractions of the eShop catalogue.

nKSXZOc.png

8mNHP6n.jpg
rdi9Npy.jpg

yVal6nl.jpg
HoJPRgN.jpg

One of exciting aspects of The Starship Damrey is the sense of discovery and exploration that the game embodies. As such, the creators have purposely given little to no information on how the game works. There are also no in-game tutorials or demonstrations either. Your journey into the Damrey is completely in your hands.

4jpkdet.png

Videos

North American Black Box Trailer
Japanese Trailer
Giant Bomb Quick Look

Links

Official Guild Series Portal Page (Japan)
Official Black Box Portal Page (North America)
Official Level-5 International America Twitter Page

roGda5s.png

Pocket Gamer (8/10)
A wonderful 3DS psychological thriller that details the journey through the emotional turmoil of a ship in distress

Nintendo World Report (7/10)
It’s filled to the brim with twists and humor, but I really would have loved to see the game fleshed out a bit more. Of course, that’s the key issue with the Guild collections: they’re meant to be small doses of gaming. Starship Damrey is just begging to have its mechanics and music revamped and its story expanded. I’d love to spend more time with AR-7 on some creepy adventures, but not before I get that awful whirring sound out of my head.

NintendoLife (7/10)
The Starship Damrey is more like a narrative experience than a typical video game, harking back to retro equivalents of the PC-age in the '90s. Rarely taxing, with the only dead ends coming because of a failure to thoroughly explore rooms and find relevant objects, it's all about the environment and piecing together a storyline. It's well written and utterly engrossing for fans of the genre or mystery sci-fi, even if its deliberate pacing and simplistic approach can be a turn-off to some. We expect this to be a divisive title, and it could do with a little extra content, but delivers exactly what it has promised, and is unapologetic as it does so.

RPGFan (70%)
The Starship Damrey is certainly a unique experience, but it's as flawed as it is fascinating.

Destructoid (6/10)
Despite being entertaining in its own way, The Starship Damrey ultimately fails to provide a hardcore, old-school adventure as promised. There's potential for an even more expansive campaign, which I hope Level-5 explores one day -- if Liberation Maiden can get a sequel, so can this! For now, rein in your expectations.

f8dDfhN.png

The Starship Damrey looks to be another great installment into the Guild Series. I love that Level-5 has regrouped after the initial tepid reception to the Guild Series in Japan and have really turned it around into an exciting group of games. With both sets of Guild games available in English, now is a great time to check the series out.

FYI: If you have downloaded any of the games from the Guild01 series, it'll unlock bonus material in this game.

Thanks for reading.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This game has definitely piqued my interest. I will wait for a a sale though, considering I haven't even finished Soul Hackers.

DaBoss

This game reminds me of VLR, so I'm interested in reading impressions before I jump in, especially from those who have played VLR.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm very interested in this. Not sure if I'm going to pick it up immediately, but I definitely will at some point.

This is the one guild game I'm finding intriguing enough to purchase, but it's got to get in line behind Fire Emblem.

Which is to say, keep your spoilers tagged because it might be a while.

corn_fest

That "junior" stigma is tough, I can't tell whether this is intentional or not

Just because the game's scenario involves discovering what's going on doesn't mean it's too absurd to ask how it plays in general. Like, is it Resident Evil-esqe? Parts that are more like a VN? In fairness, there hasn't been a lot of discussion of the actual gameplay in any of the threads about this game.
I think it's a fair question.

Just because the game's scenario involves discovering what's going on doesn't mean it's too absurd to ask how it plays in general. Like, is it Resident Evil-esqe? Parts that are more like a VN? In fairness, there hasn't been a lot of discussion of the actual gameplay in any of the threads about this game.
I think it's a fair question.

as per the OP:

"One of exciting aspects of The Starship Damrey is the sense of discovery and exploration that the game embodies. As such, the creators have purposely given little to no information on how the game works. There are also no in-game tutorials or demonstrations either. Your journey into the Damrey is completely in your hands."

I couldn't tell if the person was making an intentional joke based on that information, or if they were sincerely asking the question. After directly reading the above quote and then reading that person's post, I found it funny enough to make a lighthearted teasing comment.

"One of exciting aspects of The Starship Damrey is the sense of discovery and exploration that the game embodies. As such, the creators have purposely given little to no information on how the game works. There are also no in-game tutorials or demonstrations either. Your journey into the Damrey is completely in your hands."

That seems to be a lot of dark screenshots on an abandoned spaceship. Is it safe to say this is a horror game?

rjc571

Banned
One thing that really bothers me is I can't friggin' tell for the life of me WTF is going on in the bottom screen. Is he looking down at his feet from a first person perspective? It makes it look like you're playing a weird pseudo-realistic version of Jumping Flash.

Grrr! I want this so badly, but part of me is hesitant, since I want to hear more about the game before going in. (At least confirmation that it's worth buying... >.>) Then again, all of the guild/blackbox games look fun, so I guess I'll need to look at them all and pick a couple to buy.

I'm wondering if I should just jump on without a care in the world and see where the game takes me....

Labrys

Excited for this. A nice VLResque fix before Animal Crossing comes out and takes all my time.
Does anyone know when the eShop updates tomorrow?

One of exciting aspects of The Starship Damrey is the sense of discovery and exploration that the game embodies. As such, the creators have purposely given little to no information on how the game works. There are also no in-game tutorials or demonstrations either. Your journey into the Damrey is completely in your hands.

Bought.

Amalthea

Banned
One thing that really bothers me is I can't friggin' tell for the life of me WTF is going on in the bottom screen. Is he looking down at his feet from a first person perspective? It makes it look like you're playing a weird pseudo-realistic version of Jumping Flash.
No, you're stuck inside a cryo-bed. AFAIK you explore the ship via a remote controlled robot.

Any ideas when the reviews will be up?

FYI: If you have downloaded any of the games from the Guild01 series, it'll unlock a bonus scenario in this game. And the entire North American Guild01 collection is on sale on the eShop until May 30th, so make sure to get in on it while you can.

I anyone's looking to buy one, I can strongly recommend Crimson Shroud.

Great OT, by the way, forgot to mention that in my first post.

rjc571

Banned
I'm usually really bad at figuring these types of games out, so I'm sure it'll take me a lot longer than 1-2 hours.

Lusankya

I suck at adventures. I found the second ID card and should be able to open a new door, but which one? I searched everywhere and can't find it.

Also what do I do with the
empty cookie jar or whatever and can I get the alcohol?

Xater

I feel so dumb how do I re-assign the arrow keys?

Edit: And now I did it. I was thinking way too complicated.

Nice! I've been looking forward to this one. Didn't expect it so soon, but will purchase as soon as I check the Eshop today.

I'm also looking forward to the movie game from Guild02, as well.

Margalis

Banned
The Starship Damrey is an adventure/horror game designed by Kazuya Asano and written by Takemaru Abiko (creators of the classic adventure game The Night of the Sickle Weasel) made for Level-5's Guild Series. (Specifically the Guild02 set of games.)

The Night of the Sickle Weasel was an amazing game. I would say it's the best Sound Novel / Visual novel of all time but it's not like I've played all of them.

I can still precisely recall the exact moment I solved the mystery and everything fell into place.

Top Bottom