• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild02: The Starship Damrey |OT| Nothing is more frightening than complete innocence

zroid

Banned
So much for "taking it slow". I just beat it. Gameplay-wise I think the game isn't very satisfying at all. The puzzles aren't that interesting, the solutions are too simplistic. There's really no possibility of getting anything wrong. Pretty much the only thing the game had going for it in the end was the "experience". The story was neat I guess, but even that is really short.

I feel the game is something which would be more worthwhile if it's part of a collection, but isn't really that substantial on its own. 8 bucks isn't really value for money for the experience at all, especially when the same amount of money can get you lots of other stuff on the eShop or any other store with much more value and gameplay. This is a 2 hour one-off experience which has zero replay value, really basic gameplay, and an interesting use of audio-visuals to project a simplistic "alone on an abandoned spaceship" experience.

Thanks for the detailed impressions. I think I will wait for a sale. Bit swamped with things to buy and play right now, anyhow.

Excellent! was hoping they'd do one~

Roto13

What do I do with this battery?

EDIT: Actually the question I should be asking is
"Where is Large's ID card?" This super limited filed of view is doing me no favours.

EDIT 2: There it is. Wonder what other stuff I can't see.

also

Banned
What do I do with this battery?

EDIT: Actually the question I should be asking is
"Where is Large's ID card?" This super limited filed of view is doing me no favours.

If the ID is not in his pants, it should be in the same room at least. The battery is used in the northern most room of the 1st floor.

Labrys

Played a bit last night! The
Leeches' noise
and
Finding the dead body in the beginning
gave me a bit of a fright. I do like the system for interacting with things, though.

Roto13

Maybe turn up the brightness? It's probably bad for your eyes, but whatever, it's only for 2-3 hours :)

That probably won't help. :p I know it's dark because blah blah blah atmosphere but it's annoying that I can't see anything that's not right in the center of my screen. I didn't know
the cookie can
even existed until I looked it up. Now I'm dealing with that
crane arm
and I'm not sure if I should be able to figure out what to do with what I know or if I just walked past something important without ever seeing it.

Roto13

All done. Finished it in 3:35, including reading all of the extra stuff. (That was one "session" with sleep mode, so it now has my highest average playtime. :p)

Game's good, but not as good as I was hoping it would be. The atmosphere was creepy and pretty cool, and I liked
the twist at the end
but the story was pretty sparse throughout most of the game. Some more random files and notes sitting around to be read would have gone a long way. Basically the story was mostly told after the credits and I don't think that shows up if you don't do that one optional puzzle at the very end of the game.

One thing I thought was awesome
at the end was reading the name "Danny" on the cold sleep pod and knocking on it, and realizing that it's the pod you're inside of and Danny is dead. :p That was a cool moment.

Midou

Would love this in a more full length game. I'm sure some of the ending bits would be even more impactful after a 10-15 hour game. Still really enjoyed it though.

Only thing I would change is being able to turn while looking around, because cancelling zoomed in mode, turning, then entering it again to look around got a bit tedious.

I really like the idea of going in blind though, without a big introduction or opening sequence, it worked so well.

Vamphuntr

So much for "taking it slow". I just beat it. Gameplay-wise I think the game isn't very satisfying at all. The puzzles aren't that interesting, the solutions are too simplistic. There's really no possibility of getting anything wrong. Pretty much the only thing the game had going for it in the end was the "experience". The story was neat I guess, but even that is really short.

I feel the game is something which would be more worthwhile if it's part of a collection, but isn't really that substantial on its own. 8 bucks isn't really value for money for the experience at all, especially when the same amount of money can get you lots of other stuff on the eShop or any other store with much more value and gameplay. This is a 2 hour one-off experience which has zero replay value, really basic gameplay, and an interesting use of audio-visuals to project a simplistic "alone on an abandoned spaceship" experience.

Yeah this is what I was talking about in the Nintendo Download thread. Most of the time you will pick up the only item that can be used on the only thing blocking your progress. It's not a very fun game. I felt like I was robbed of 8 dollars.

It's not very fun to explore as there is barely anything to do and interact with. The ambiance was terrible since barely anything worthwhile happens and the pacing is kind of awful. Collect a bunch of card keys and walk through copy pasted hallways and rooms until something uninteresting happens.

The first 5 minutes showed promise. Or at least implied you would switch through different robots often, that you would use your OS more than once and that the mic would be use for something decent. Too bad this wasn't the case.

That video between the two creators on the eshop is really terrible once you have beaten the game. Their "there is no tutorial so the game is hardcore" pitch is somewhat embarrassing since the reason there is no tutorial in the first place is that there isn't anything do to in the game outside moving the circle pad to move the reticle over object you want to analyse/interact with.

For my part I didn't find the ambiance good at all. A creepy background music would probably have been a better choice than absolutely nothing except noise of your robot moving and doors opening. I felt the "ghost" thing was underused and poorly paced. At some point I completely forgot about it and we are talking about a 3 hours game.

I don't think the story was really well done either. I guessed the twist about 1/3 way through. It would probably have been a better idea to put more files scattered on the ship to flesh out the lore a bit more.

Regarding the game's length, I think it might be a result of the fact that this game was initially intended to be part of a retail package, like the first Guild collection. If the rumored third Guild collection is true, then I wouldn't be surprised if those games were a bit more substantial since they'd be the first to be made with the digital release method in mind as the sole way to obtain the games.

These Guild games are pretty neat, but they are definitely not the longest games available.

I'd almost wager them as IP pitch ideas, with the games lasting only a few hours to establish the concept and the world. Then if they are highly successful, they can be expanded into bigger things. I feel this is why Liberation Maiden is getting more games and content now, as it received the most praise of the initial Guild games, outside of Crimson Shroud (but Matsuno is not part of Level-5 anymore, so...).

Even though these games are pretty short and a bit shallow, I do approve with the attempt to use different game developer minds to create unique worlds outside of their usual products.

These Guild games are pretty neat, but they are definitely not the longest games available.

I'd almost wager them as IP pitch ideas, with the games lasting only a few hours to establish the concept and the world. Then if they are highly successful, they can be expanded into bigger things. I feel this is why Liberation Maiden is getting more games and content now, as it received the most praise of the initial Guild games, outside of Crimson Shroud (but Matsuno is not part of Level-5 anymore, so...).

Even though these games are pretty short and a bit shallow, I do approve with the attempt to use different game developer minds to create unique worlds outside of their usual products.
Well, we're getting a much longer Liberation Maiden game, so you may be on to something. (Though the genre is completely different in the sequel.)

Anyway, I'm enjoying the game so far, but I do agree that they could of gone farther with the "hands off" approach and made the puzzles more difficult. The story is quite intriguing though.

duckroll

Regarding the game's length, I think it might be a result of the fact that this game was initially intended to be part of a retail package, like the first Guild collection. If the rumored third Guild collection is true, then I wouldn't be surprised if those games were a bit more substantial since they'd be the first to be made with the digital release method in mind as the sole way to obtain the games.

I don't think it's much of an excuse for a weak offering though. Crimson Shroud was actually part of a retail package and it remains the most substantial effort in the Guild series so far. It really shows how much more effort Matsuno put in compared to everyone else.

I don't think it's much of an excuse for a weak offering though. Crimson Shroud was actually part of a retail package and it remains the most substantial effort in the Guild series so far. It really shows how much more effort Matsuno put in compared to everyone else.
Oh, I agree. Crimson Shroud is still definitely the stand out game from the series so far, but personally I would put this one right afterward.

The gameplay might be a bit on the lacking side, but the atmosphere and "experience" this game conveys is right up my alley. The probably should of priced it a bit lower, but I don't regret my purchase at all.

I would love to see Level-5 take this concept and expand on it more.

duckroll

Oh, I agree. Crimson Shroud is still definitely the stand out game from the series so far, but personally I would put this one right afterward.

The gameplay might be a bit on the lacking side, but the atmosphere and "experience" this game conveys is right up my alley. The probably should of priced it a bit lower, but I don't regret my purchase at all.

I would love to see Level-5 take this concept and expand on it more.

I don't regret my purchase either, but I just find it hard to recommend the game. That's how I feel about most of the Guild series in general. Some neat ideas, and for those willing to throw money at supporting variety and niche stuff, it's certainly worth it, but outside of that it's hard to justify recommending them outside of Crimson Shroud.

I don't regret my purchase either, but I just find it hard to recommend the game. That's how I feel about most of the Guild series in general. Some neat ideas, and for those willing to throw money at supporting variety and niche stuff, it's certainly worth it, but outside of that it's hard to justify recommending them outside of Crimson Shroud.
Well, it's definitely a niche series with some caveats, but I think that's what makes it so interesting. Not to sound too pretentious, but games like this is almost akin to going to see an art film. It might not work 100% or be something that everyone would enjoy, but just the unique experience alone is enough to make it worth while IMO.

duckroll

Well, it's definitely a niche series with some caveats, but I think that's what makes it so interesting. Not to sound too pretentious, but games like this is almost akin to going to see an art film. It might not work 100% or be something that everyone would enjoy, but just the unique experience alone is enough to make it worth while IMO.

Art films are usually full length feature films which are funded independently by sponsors who don't require a commercial success to recoup their investment. Guild games are more akin to concept shorts films or TV pilots which don't get picked up for serialization. Those tend to have interesting ideas, but often leave people not fully satisfied because of unexplored potential.

Art films are usually full length feature films which are funded independently by sponsors who don't require a commercial success to recoup their investment. Guild games are more akin to concept shorts films or TV pilots which don't get picked up for serialization. Those tend to have interesting ideas, but often leave people not fully satisfied because of unexplored potential.
Perhaps that would be a better description, but I wouldn't say I personally feel unsatisfied with the experience.

Kipe

I really wanted this to be good after enjoying the Gamecenter CX episode with Night of the Sickle Weasel. Oh well I'll pick it up when it's on sale.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Enjoyed it, still got one last thing to do before I call it quits.

Probably should have waited for a sale though.

It is too simple and too short in the end.

duckroll

I really wish they actually did something with the idea of there being multiple robots all over the ship instead. It's just a missed opportunity for actual puzzle design. If you have to switch between robots at different parts of the ship to do different things, and use multiple robots to carry different items and basically manage an inventory that way, they could have done so much more with the adventure design. Instead it's just... meh. I get more disappointed with how it turned out each time I think about it.

I really wish they actually did something with the idea of there being multiple robots all over the ship instead. It's just a missed opportunity for actual puzzle design. If you have to switch between robots at different parts of the ship to do different things, and use multiple robots to carry different items and basically manage an inventory that way, they could have done so much more with the adventure design. Instead it's just... meh. I get more disappointed with how it turned out each time I think about it.
I don't think anyone would disagree that the concept has a lot of potential for expansion.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

This is easily my biggest issue with the game. I at least expected them to have you get stuck at one point only to

Open up the basically useless Robot menu and find that you can control or observe one of the other previously "damaged" robots and do something with it to advance the plot.

but nothing like that happens. It's such a tease.

duckroll

Hmmmm, reading a Japanese FAQ for the game seems to indicate that once again English fans have been shafted. There's something missing from the English release. The "Alyssa" short story that is unlocked if you own any of the previous Guild01 titles is actually a part of the normal release in the Japanese game, while the Japanese game offered an additional "Alex" short story for those who owned the Japanese Guild01. Wtf? Level5 smh.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hmmmm, reading a Japanese FAQ for the game seems to indicate that once again English fans have been shafted. There's something missing from the English release. The "Alyssa" short story that is unlocked if you own any of the previous Guild01 titles is actually a part of the normal release in the Japanese game, while the Japanese game offered an additional "Alex" short story for those who owned the Japanese Guild01. Wtf? Level5 smh.

We did get the superior version of Crimson Shroud though which remains the best product of the entire series.

duckroll

We did get the superior version of Crimson Shroud though which remains the best product of the entire series.

Nope. The eShop version of Crimson Shroud is identical in all regions (it's dual language). The English script in Crimson Shroud is still missing the parody choices which are supposed to be available in NG++. :/

Really? That sucks.

I'm gonna send them a tweet and ask about this.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nope. The eShop version of Crimson Shroud is identical in all regions (it's dual language). The English script in Crimson Shroud is still missing the parody choices which are supposed to be available in NG++. :/

Now I'm disappointed. I know they fixed stuff for the digital release but didn't realize we were still missing content.

duckroll

Now I'm disappointed. I know they fixed stuff for the digital release but didn't realize we were still missing content.

I apologize for continuing to bring bad news about these games. But it seems Level5 is being rather cheap with the localization efforts. :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I apologize for continuing to bring bad news about these games. But it seems Level5 is being rather cheap with the localization efforts. :(

Well they did get the best in the business to do Crimson Shroud, just not all of it!

I can't remember the last time a game with a parody mode actually made it over intact. Tofu Survivor from RE 2? .hack had a hilarious as all hell parody track that never made it over.

Well, I sent them a message about the missing story, hopefully they'll respond. Since it's just text, they could just post it on the web site if is was mistakenly left out. If not, I'm not sure why they'd leave it out besides laziness... :/

duckroll, is there a Japanese version of the short story posted anywhere?

Vamphuntr

Well, I sent them a message about the missing story, hopefully they'll respond. Since it's just text, they could just post it on the web site if is was mistakenly left out. If not, I'm not sure why they'd leave it out besides laziness... :/

It got cut probably because of the money required to localize that part of the text. Level-5 seems rather cheap. I mean, the coding is different since the unlock is Alyssa instead so it's pretty clear it was done on purpose.

duckroll

If there is, I haven't found it yet. There isn't a huge amount of interest in these games to begin with, so it's going to be tough to find someone who actually bothered to transcribe it. :(

Camjo-Z

I want to finish this game so I can write a review on it for another site but I can't figure out how to beat it. Can anyone help? I feel like I'm just one step away from the ending.

I got to the Cold Sleep room, tried to open the case I'm in but it said something about a password? (I was playing this with a fever at 2 AM so I probably missed a detail there) Then I went up the vent, got the ring, put it on that one girl's desk, and looked at the picture of Lucy in the other crew member's room. Now music is playing so I assume looking at the picture was important, but I have no clue what to do after that.

Eusis

I want to finish this game so I can write a review on it for another site but I can't figure out how to beat it. Can anyone help? I feel like I'm just one step away from the ending.

I got to the Cold Sleep room, tried to open the case I'm in but it said something about a password? (I was playing this with a fever at 2 AM so I probably missed a detail there) Then I went up the vent, got the ring, put it on that one girl's desk, and looked at the picture of Lucy in the other crew member's room. Now music is playing so I assume looking at the picture was important, but I have no clue what to do after that.
Hint:
Take another look in your pod.
I got it on a first guess.

I just beat the game. Cool ending, I'll post my full thoughts later.

But duckroll, the Alyssa short story is not the same as the linked content story. They are two separate stories. The Alyssa story is about
her wedding
and the linked content story is about
how the space leeches got on the Damrey.

The Alyssa story is unlocked by seeing the full ending.
Putting the Silver Ring on Alex's desk before beating the game.
The linked content story is unlocked by simply beating the game with a save file from any of the Guild01 title.

I'm not sure what the Alex story is. The linked content storyline doesn't mention Alex at all. Maybe the wiki was talking about Alex's profile, which is unlocked by getting the full ending?

Top Bottom